The Oscars will soon reward "popular films" and shorten the broadcast

17 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I agree that Get Out was a good movie. ;)

Black Panther had some good scenes, but suffered from many of the same problems as other "good" tier Marvel movies, namely really bad CGI battles and a villain with the same powers as the hero. Don't get me wrong I did like the movie, but I just didn't think it was amazing. I do completely get the overall "event" vibe from it though, especially among the black community. And it did have a well-acted villain (though they killed him off...another Marvel problem).

I agree with this...

-maybe because i watched it after everyone had told me how "great" it was..

-villain was great and had a legitimate point but he like the main character needed to do a little more lifting in the film.. everyone else did a great job. 

-the action resolution did not close out the movie well, though the character arc did

• 4 weeks later...

https://screenrant.com/oscars-best-popular-film-category-2019/

The Academy announced today that they are not going to present a Best Popular Film award for the 91st Oscars in 2019. The award instead is going to be re-examined as the Academy believes it "merits further study." There was concern about implementing the award just a few months before voting begins, and the Academy will instead "seek additional input regarding this category" before moving forward. Here is what Academy CEO Dawn Hudson had to say:

"There has been a wide range of reactions to the introduction of a new award, and we recognize the need for further discussion with our members. We have made changes to the Oscars over the years - including this year - and we will continue to evolve while also respecting the incredible legacy of the last 90 years."

26 minutes ago, Wild said:

That's every industry. Movie awards just have famous people at them so we care.

Not sure what you're arguing against. I was pointing out why they changed their mind,  They were first thinking of including us all in their vote and then realized they never really wanted us to be a part of it.