The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers Official Trailer

We're a hockey family and what's funny is that when they announced this my son was like 9 and would have been super into it, but now he's like 11 and I feel like he's no longer in the target age range...

We'll watch it either way though... looks decent!

• 1 month later...

Anyone watch this one?

It was pretty good... I mean, sure... it's nothing but a collection of lazy tropes and sports movie clichés, but what did you expect. It's at least competent and entertaining lazy tropes... it's fun and goes down easy...

I love that one of these sports movies finally tackled insane sports parents. The first 10 minutes of this when the mom goes off on that coach and the other parents is pure gold. I've encountered so many people just like that coach and those parents... We've had parents on some of our teams who probably pay like $20,000 a year on hockey camps and one-on-one coaching for their 8-9-10 year old kids. It's pure insanity.

Anyway, what the hell though, he gets cut from the state championship team and then it's like, well, I guess that's it... uh, no. There are like 10 different levels of hockey teams... didn't make the AAA team? AA is available... or A1, or A2, or B1, or whatever... are there only 6 hockey teams in the whole city??? ...it just doesn't work that way... and also, I'm sorry, it hasn't happened yet in the show, but if a bunch of kids who have never played hockey before play a game against the state champion team from fucking Minnesota (or any team from their division) they are going to lose 60-0 and that's not an exaggeration. I mean, it's cute, but no. I don't care if they practice like hell for a few months... it would look like that scene from South Park where Ike's pee-wee team plays the Red Wings.

I know all kids sports movies kinda work like this, but why? Why not make it slightly more realistic? Like, even a little?

I guess I should wait and see how it plays out, but I'm pretty sure we all know how it's going to play out...

Episode 2 was solid and very properly addressed exactly what it would look like if a team of kids who could barely skate faced a team of kids who play in the top division in the city. Well, the score should have been higher... they kinda glossed over it at some point, but they came close enough for me anyway.

I was also happy that characters on the show pointed out repeatedly just how ridiculous the situation is.

Now, I'm sure we're going to get some montages and this group of scrappy goofballs will eventually become competitive, which, honestly could literally never happen vs a team of kids who almost all certainly...

A. Have all been playing since they were 4 or 5

B. Probably practice 7+ hours a week and have for about a decade

C. Are enrolled in 10s of thousands of dollars in 1-on-1 training and special camps, etc and have been for a decade

D. Are all natural top level gifted athletes on top of the decade of hard traininig

E. Are most likely all type-A personalities who are hyper-competitive with insane drive to win at all costs

F. Have already beaten out multiple hundreds of other kids doing similar things over the course of a decade

but hey, it's a tv show, so whatever...

Watched the first episode. I think Disney went a different direction than Sony TV did with Cobra Kai which is that the show is aimed primarily at today’s kids while Cobra Kai is aimed at people who were kids when the original films came out.

I will probably watch the rest with my kids, but low priority

On 4/6/2021 at 2:08 PM, sblfilms said:

Watched the first episode. I think Disney went a different direction than Sony TV did with Cobra Kai which is that the show is aimed primarily at today’s kids while Cobra Kai is aimed at people who were kids when the original films came out.

I will probably watch the rest with my kids, but low priority

I think it's aimed at people who like/liked to watch the old Disney channel. Mildly amusing, unoffensive, and feels like it could have been filmed back in the 90s

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm sure this completely borks all their plans for the show. Either they recast him or completely re-write the entire season, because there is no way that the whole plot of the show wasn't going to heavily involve him in season 2.

What would even be the point of a season 2 anyway? Where do they go from the end of season one that makes for an interesting story?

Unless it's a new group of kids.