Six Days in Fallujah (game based on the 2004 urban war crime in Iraq) - update: multiple article slagging this abomination posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Imagine not being able to write about a game because you’re worried that the US is going to fuck with your visa.

Also a procedurally generated Fallujah in the interest of keeping players on their toes is... ugh I don’t have the words.

WTF? Why and how would covering this game affect her visa status? Who the hell determines that? This is all kinds of fucked up. 

A couple more articles about this travesty:

pjimage-2021-02-19T171223.550.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Here's what's wrong with making Six Days in Fallujah, as explained by a veteran who fought in the battle it's based on.

sixdaysinfallujah.jpg?x71907
WWW.FANBYTE.COM

The publishers of the controversial Iraq War game gives conflicting statements and hopes you only hear the one you want to hear.

rfcjdzgszuoiecve3uej.png
KOTAKU.COM

Rebooted war crime simulator Six Days in Fallujah got its official gameplay reveal yesterday in a new trailer that seems to confirm some people’s criticisms of the game as one-sided propaganda for the U.S. war machine. The trailer was debuted exclusively by IGN, the same website that just days earlier ran an in-depth report on the problems surrounding the game and the apparent one-sidedness with which it would make a “playable documentary” out of...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Six Days in Fallujah (game based on the 2004 urban war crime in Iraq) - update: multiple article slagging this abomination posted

I wouldn't even know this game exists if it weren't for all the attention it's been getting in gaming news. My hope is that when it does come out, its some mediocre half assed shooter. And any attention they are receiving quickly dies off within a week.  They chose a very controversial topic to base the game around and are now loving all the attention. 

4 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I wouldn't even know this game exists if it weren't for all the attention it's been getting in gaming news. My hope is that when it does come out, its some mediocre half assed shooter. And any attention they are receiving quickly dies off within a week.  They chose a very controversial topic to base the game around and are now loving all the attention. 

Yeah do yourself a favor and avoid the comment section of the articles about this game. Some people, yikes!

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

Dare I ask what some of them say?

Most shrug off criticism of the subject matter, war crimes, civilian casualties, etc  and say, looks fun, wait until it's out to say bad things or go the other route saying it's no different from any other game based around a war.

If you want to look deeper feel free.

22 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It says in the comments that essentially if you criticize the actions of US troops they could revoke your Visa.

I doubt it's specifically that, it's probably something like there being a ton of latitude with revoking her specific type of visa and criticizing the troops being an easy way to get on the shit list of someone with the power to revoke it.

So technically every war game fall into this criticism.... its all propaganda... we dont get insight into any of the many enemies we kill

even if it isnt propaganda, the other main argument is that it dehumanizes certain groups.. all games do..

Ign has gone through and expanded on their article going further into the “historical” context of the game....it now takes anything and everything said or mentioned by the developers and fits it to the narrative..”first man in is always right” is now framed to mean that american soldiers are always right to go in and murder everyone..(honestly i always saw it as first man through doorway can go in to left or right and others behind him adjust)

Purely speaking as a gamer the only interest the game held for me was the hope that something new was being tried gameplay-wise and that it wouldnt be another game regurgitating the same gameplay.. the idea of a combat game implementing tension and almost veering into horror sounded appealing...as did the idea of procedurally generated environments (replay value)..

As always its interesting to see where people decide to argue the virtue and fairness of their entertainment....I wonder when this enlightenment will manifest in other media

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...