Jump to content

Very stable genius Elon Musk now owns a quarter of the satellites in Earth orbit.


Recommended Posts

elon%20musk%20space%20lasers%20starlink.
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

SpaceX says its space internet service will have ‘near global coverage of the populated world in 2021’

 

Quote

The satellites will provide high-speed internet service to Alaska and high-latitude areas of Canada, where ground-based infrastructure can be difficult to install and maintain.

Following the launch, Mr Musk said that the 60 satellites sent to orbit were the first V.09 Starlinks, which use inter-satellite lasers to transfer data at speeds of up to 100 megabytes per second (Mbps).

 

Starlink’s website states that “users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mbps to 150Mbps and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system.”

How is this a bad thing? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
elon%20musk%20space%20lasers%20starlink.
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

SpaceX says its space internet service will have ‘near global coverage of the populated world in 2021’

 

How is this a bad thing? 

Because this board hates Musk, especially a couple of members.

 

Thats not to say I think Musk is good person, but all of his businesses focus on the betterment of society. But he's a billionaire, a bit conservative, and sometimes shares opinions progressives don't like, therefore he's the devil to some here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 8:27 AM, BloodyHell said:

Because this board hates Musk, especially a couple of members.

 

Thats not to say I think Musk is good person, but all of his businesses focus on the betterment of society. But he's a billionaire, a bit conservative, and sometimes shares opinions progressives don't like, therefore he's the devil to some here.

 

nope

  • Guillotine 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't get aboard the hate-train for Elon. I'm not on the love-train either, I just think he's kind of an obnoxious moron, but in a usually boring way.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I just can't get aboard the hate-train for Elon. I'm not on the love-train either, I just think he's kind of an obnoxious moron, but in a usually boring way.

 

He's super boring but tries hard to be interesting and is still boring despite being disgustingly rich.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like his willingness to forge his own path and do shit his way , I think the benefits of his creations are fantastic or will be. His " I am not like the other billionaires " schtick is cringy as fuck, hes an anti union fuck wit that put his workers in a bad spot when the country was going into lock down not to mention his massive but extremely fragile ego.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing Elon does is hire execs well. That's why SpaceX is so successful. He's an "ideas man" first and foremost. And most of his ideas actually truly suck. 

 

Reusable rocket stages is Buck Rogers shit that I will never not love and one of the best space flight advancements since the Space Shuttle. 

 

Everything else Musk has done has been done by someone else (electric car battery layouts), could be done by others (charging standardization and proliferation), or isn't done by anyone else because the idea is dumb as fuck and either doesn't work at all, or makes things worse (self driving AI, hyperloop, the fucking flamethrower, his kid with the dumb name, neuralink, Mars colony, labor exploitation, starlink, the Thai cave rescue, the dumb Harambe rap). 

  • Guillotine 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Everything else Musk has done has been done by someone else (electric car battery layouts), could be done by others (charging standardization and proliferation), or isn't done by anyone else because the idea is dumb as fuck and either doesn't work at all, or makes things worse (self driving AI, hyperloop, the fucking flamethrower, his kid with the dumb name, neuralink, Mars colony, labor exploitation, starlink, the Thai cave rescue, the dumb Harambe rap). 

 

The self-driving stuff on my wife's Model Y is super cool. Why the hate on that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sblfilms said:

 

The self-driving stuff on my wife's Model Y is super cool. Why the hate on that?

 

Because it isn't self driving. There are lots of gaps in capability the self driving systems have that make people not take the act of driving as seriously as it should be for how dangerous it is. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CayceG said:

 

Because it isn't self driving. There are lots of gaps in capability the self driving systems have that make people not take the act of driving as seriously as it should be for how dangerous it is. 

 

Have you ever driven with it? Call it whatever you want, it's a much more pleasant way to drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The hyperloop of the dumbest idea in the history of so called public transit and ask billionaires are trash that's all I'm gonna say

Imagine 200 year-old steam locomotives, but worse!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

 

Have you ever driven with it? Call it whatever you want, it's a much more pleasant way to drive.

 

If I wanted that, I'd take a rideshare. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CayceG said:

 

If I wanted that, I'd take a rideshare. 

So you literally have no idea what it is like, but you're sure it sucks. This is a very useful opinion :p

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't need to experience taking my attention off the road and not controlling a vehicle because that in itself is dangerous. Computers and sensors aren't bulletproof. 

 

The point I'm trying to make isn't that it existing is bad. It's that Musk and his legion of cultists have marketed the self driving aspects as some panacea to all safety and traffic issues. It just isn't. Self driving capabilities should be seen as, marketed as, and designed for being safety assistance. It should never be the intention that the car is solely under its own control. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I don't need to experience taking my attention off the road and not controlling a vehicle because that in itself is dangerous. Computers and sensors aren't bulletproof. 

 

The point I'm trying to make isn't that it existing is bad. It's that Musk and his legion of cultists have marketed the self driving aspects as some panacea to all safety and traffic issues. It just isn't. Self driving capabilities should be seen as, marketed as, and designed for being safety assistance. It should never be the intention that the car is solely under its own control. 


It isn’t, which it literally blares at you every time you turn it on and is well covered in how it is promoted on their website. In fact it will shut off (both auto pilot and FSD) if you leave your hands off the steering wheel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

 

Have you ever driven with it? Call it whatever you want, it's a much more pleasant way to drive.

 

The Tesla "self driving" shit is basically guaranteeing bad outcomes. My mom's Lexus has automatic lane changing and slowing speed adjustment to match the car in front of you. That's great. What's awful is telling people they can just zone out--none of the situations I'm thinking of would be better if I could just completely check out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jason said:

 

The Tesla "self driving" shit is basically guaranteeing bad outcomes. My mom's Lexus has automatic lane changing and slowing speed adjustment to match the car in front of you. That's great. What's awful is telling people they can just zone out--none of the situations I'm thinking of would be better if I could just completely check out.


You can’t just zone out though...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Autopilot is an advanced driver assistance system that enhances safety and convenience behind the wheel. When used properly, Autopilot reduces your overall workload as a driver. 8 external cameras, a radar, 12 ultrasonic sensors and a powerful onboard computer provide an additional layer of safety to guide you on your journey. Cars built between September 2014 and October 2016 include one camera and less-powerful radar and ultrasonic sensors.

 

Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability are intended for use with a fully attentive driver, who has their hands on the wheel and is prepared to take over at any moment. While these features are designed to become more capable over time, the currently enabled features do not make the vehicle autonomous.

 

tesla_announcement_social.jpg
WWW.TESLA.COM

Learn how to use Autopilot on the Model S, Model X and Model 3.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sblfilms said:


You can’t just zone out though...

This is literally a situation where they hate everything he does because he's a conservative billionaire. 

Never mind that he made electric vehicles cool and interesting (yes, I know he's not actually a founder, but he was its earliest investor and chairman), or that he privatized space exploration, lets attack him for having ideas that failed or we don't like! Even if Hyperloop and starlink don't work out, why does anyone care? Is he harming anyone digging a tunnel? But they don't like it, so how dare he try. 

 

I get that he's a horrible boss and a bit fucked up. I also think thats mostly because he's probably somewhere on the spectrum. But the hatred here for everything he does is completely transparent. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Even if Hyperloop and starlink don't work out, why does anyone care? Is he harming anyone digging a tunnel?

Public goods, such as transit from a city center to the airport, as may be the case in Chicago, should not be in private hands. Same for space travel and internet access.

 

But all billionaires are bad and he's no different

Link to post
Share on other sites

Musk's efforts to get attention for his hyperloop nonsense or his Tesla tunnels are actually siphoning public money to these projects and AWAY from actual transit projects that will A) do more for more people and B) work. 

 

 

Musk is just not a thinker worthy of the attention paid to him. His ideas distract from feasible projects or plans. 

 

Tunnels, automated electric vehicles, and whatever "AI" is at this point are not solutions to any problem he's identified. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

 he privatized space exploration...

 

This is something that NEVER should've been allowed to happen.  The exploration of space should be the sole province of the state or a transnational group of states.

 

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

This is literally a situation where they hate everything he does because he's a conservative billionaire.

 

The very existence of billionaires -- conservative or otherwise -- is an affront to humanity.

  • Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

 

This is something that NEVER should've been allowed to happen.  The exploration of space should be the sole province of the state or a transnational group of states.

 

 

The very existence of billionaires -- conservative or otherwise -- is an affront to humanity.

I mostly agree about billionaires, my point was as billionaires go, he's far from the worst.

 

I disagree on space. If the government had designed the falcon and starship rockets, it would have cost tax payers 20x as much, and they still wouldn't have launched anything, and the state should have no more claim to space than the people of those countries.

 

Space tourism will one day be no different than flying, and millions of kids who dream of it every generation may actually get the chance to experience it. Nobody should be precluded because of class or place of birth. I mean, its doubtful its affordable in our lifetime, but It should be an option for far more than some handpicked government assets. The public sector will create far more beneficial technologies than NASA can or will with current budgets.

 

The only thing im against is the weaponization of space.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...