Terrorist Kyle Rittenhouse acquitted on all counts

ca_kylerittenhouse_getty.jpg
THEHILL.COM

Rittenhouse’s defense team says they were given lower-quality video footage ahead of the trial, when the prosecution actually had better, high-quality footage that was played for jurors.

It is wild to me that evidence is being furnished to the defense via text messaging. Seems like such a dumb system is an easy way to end up with a Brady violation.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
ca_kylerittenhouse_getty.jpg
THEHILL.COM

Rittenhouse’s defense team says they were given lower-quality video footage ahead of the trial, when the prosecution actually had better, high-quality footage that was played for jurors.

It is wild to me that evidence is being furnished to the defense via text messaging. Seems like such a dumb system is an easy way to end up with a Brady violation.

SMS and MMS is considered a secure messaging platform by federal standards, so I'm not surprised that would be the case in some districts that cheaped out and didn't have their own gov account on like Box or the like.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

SMS and MMS is considered a secure messaging platform by federal standards, so I'm not surprised that would be the case in some districts that cheaped out and didn't have their own gov account on like Box or the like.

it isn’t about the security of the evidence, it is the lack of verification that things were delivered or that they were delivered complete.

They don’t mention it in this article, but apparently what happened is a the video file was transcoded by the carrier due to file size limits..

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

it isn’t about the security of the evidence, it is the lack of verification that things were delivered or that they were delivered complete.

They don’t mention it in this article, but apparently what happened is a the video file was transcoded by the carrier due to file size limits..

No, I get that part. That's why it's a terrible way to share anything more than a few words. For instance, we still use SMS for sharing passwords or 2FA codes, but not for anything larger than that. Municipalities really should just jump on the cloud bandwagon and adopt any file sharing tool on the FedRAMP list. Just let the Feds do the work of weeding out the shitty file sharing apps.

My point was only to point out why I'm not surprised someone was using SMS/MMS for sharing evidence.

I like how he had to pause when thinking of a new term to describe the two people who were shot and killed. Because common sense would dictate, that, uh, yeah, you call them victims. They were shot and killed. They were victimized. They are victims. They are dead. You can argue about the legality of the details surrounding their deaths, but that doesn't change their status as victims.

• True 1

34 minutes ago, ort said:

I like how he had to pause when thinking of a new term to describe the two people who were shot and killed. Because common sense would dictate, that, uh, yeah, you call them victims. They were shot and killed. They were victimized. They are victims. They are dead. You can argue about the legality of the details surrounding their deaths, but that doesn't change their status as victims.

Ashli Babbitt was a victim of police violence?

7 hours ago, ort said:

Yes she was. 100%.

Here's the definition of the word victim.

A person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.

Just an FYI, victim has a specific meaning and status within the legal system and courts avoiding the use of the word victim pre-conviction is the norm, not some oddity where this judge is doing Rittenhouse a solid.

I thought it was interesting that there were actually cases, only a couple though, that were overturned due to a prejudicial use of the word victim.

https://law.lclark.edu/live/files/21940-use-of-the-term-victim-in-crim-proc11th-edpdf

In the section on common objections to using the term victim pre-conviction which courts have generally found persuasive enough to bar the use of the word.

B. Commission of crime contested.
Use of the term “victim” is more controversial in cases where the defendant is contesting
that a crime occurred. These cases generally involve sexual assault, where the defendant is arguing that the victim consented to the sexual act, or homicide, where the defendant claims
the act at issue was committed in self-defense.22 Defendants in such cases argue that, since the jury is charged with determining whether the victim consented, using the term “victim” denies the defendant a fair trial as it assumes facts properly left to the jury. Reviewing courts’ analyses of this argument vary, depending on whether a witness, prosecutor, or court uses the term.

I would absolutely expect a lawyer representing Ashli Babbit to refer to her as a victim, as much as i would expect the prosecution against Rittenhouse to call the people he shot victims, its up to the jury to decide, the judge shouldn't get to dictate terminology, and really only seems like its an issue if the Judge himself were using the victim label.

12 hours ago, osxmatt said:

When I lived in Florida, I heard rednecks say that all the time and usually there's a very slight pause after like "A..Black". I'm not saying the judge was about to break out the n-word but I've never heard someone say that and not essentially use it because they just caught themselves about say something way worse. It sounds like you're referring to a fucking animal, one of those seemingly small yet utterly loaded and repulsive things to say. 

13 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I would absolutely expect a lawyer representing Ashli Babbit to refer to her as a victim, as much as i would expect the prosecution against Rittenhouse to call the people he shot victims, its up to the jury to decide, the judge shouldn't get to dictate terminology, and really only seems like its an issue if the Judge himself were using the victim label.

The existence of a victim does presuppose a crime occurred. Often this basic claim is in dispute. 

37 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The existence of a victim does presuppose a crime occurred. Often this basic claim is in dispute. 

I mean no shit, and lawyers aren't neutral parties their job is to literally argue the crime happened or didn't, so as i said it'd only be out of line if the judge who is supposed to be impartial was using the terminology.

8 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean no shit, and lawyers aren't neutral parties their job is to literally argue the crime happened or didn't, so as i said it'd only be out of line if the judge who is supposed to be impartial was using the terminology.

That isn’t true. There are many cases where nobody is disputing that a crime occurred, only disputing who did it. There are also many cases where there is a dispute over whether a crime occurred at all. 

I guess once you realize that you can literally do or say anything, and your own party won't hold you accountable... you can pretty much just go all in with the trolling nonsense.

I mean, Geatz is gonna be Geatz... but it really does reflect so poorly on the entire party that they allow people like this to be members in good standing and pretend like any of this is normal.

5 minutes ago, ort said:

I mean, Geatz is gonna be Geatz... but it really does reflect so poorly on the entire party that they allow people like this to be members in good standing and pretend like any of this is normal.

But does it?