Fernando Tatis Jr. Graces the Cover of MLB the Show 21 Coming to Playstation and Xbox (Available 4/20/21), update - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Impressions please

I'd like impressions on how it looks and runs on the xsx and ps5. Like I mentioned earlier, from the YouTube vid I watched of it running on the xsx it looked really impressive. But thats not even close to the quality peeps will see on their TVs at 4k.

It looks pretty nice. I'm on an XboneX. There are 3 graphic modes for "game resolution" - 1080p is faster, Balanced is 1440p and sharper is 4k. Default is balanced but I only have a 1080p TV so I couldn't really see a difference.

The game gives you a lot of hitting, pitching and fielding options so you can pick the one you like. I'm liking the pure analog pitching. The meter and gesture pitching are quite difficult.

I haven't looked for sliders and am only trying the warmup game they give you at the start but difficulty seems right.

• Thanks 1

I'm really enjoying this game. It took an hour of messing with the different control schemes before I found the ones I like the most. The presentation is top notch. I'm favoring the MLB one over The Show one just because it looks almost like a real baseball game. Glad this came to Xbox as there hasn't been a great baseball game in a long time. 

2 hours ago, The def star said:

I'm really enjoying this game. It took an hour of messing with the different control schemes before I found the ones I like the most. The presentation is top notch. I'm favoring the MLB one over The Show one just because it looks almost like a real baseball game. Glad this came to Xbox as there hasn't been a great baseball game in a long time. 

You playing on the xsx?

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You playing on the xsx?

Yup. Game looks great but I haven't played The Show 20 but as a new comer to the series it's been great. Playing with pure analog batting but still using traditional pitching. Maybe I'll switch to analog pitching as well. Started spring training as the Angels in franchise mode and my first game against the Giants and they are whooping my ass. Mostly because of my fielding and throwing. Getting used to the meter throwing.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Man the ump calls so many strikes balls. :|

completely agree on that statement. I was painting the corners with some fastballs and the ball marker showed hitting in the strike zone and still called a ball. Game looks real nice though. . . . been too long since I played a baseball game

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

completely agree on that statement. I was painting the corners with some fastballs and the ball marker showed hitting in the strike zone and still called a ball. Game looks real nice though. . . . been too long since I played a baseball game

Sounds like angel Hernandez was the umpire 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The def star said:

Yup. Game looks great but I haven't played The Show 20 but as a new comer to the series it's been great. Playing with pure analog batting but still using traditional pitching. Maybe I'll switch to analog pitching as well. Started spring training as the Angels in franchise mode and my first game against the Giants and they are whooping my ass. Mostly because of my fielding and throwing. Getting used to the meter throwing.

Awesome. I'll be giving it a shot soon on my one x. I haven't played this game in a few years so I'm sure I'll run into issues you are having, too. Thanks for the response.

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Awesome. I'll be giving it a shot soon on my one x. I haven't played this game in a few years so I'm sure I'll run into issues you are having, too. Thanks for the response.

I haven't played it sine whatever one on the PS3 and I'm not having any "issues"

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

XboneX

The "pure analog" pitching feels really good. I'd recommend going with that.

I'm like 5 games deep in Road to the show, good times.

Nice. Yea, I'll definitely play road to the show because I loved that "mode" in the NBA 2K series. 

Game is nice to look at, fun as hell, and RTTS and Diamond Dynasty are huge time sinks.

Only complaints would be, and they are minor:

- Server/network connection issues. Get dropped sometimes and lose progress with challenges

- Loading can be slow going between menus

- Lots of stuff to do which is great, but I waste a lot of time looking for them in the menus

Its a small list, but the loading is very noticeable when you are looking at lots of cards or flipping between teams

1 hour ago, ARZ said:

Game is nice to look at, fun as hell, and RTTS and Diamond Dynasty are huge time sinks.

Only complaints would be, and they are minor:

- Server/network connection issues. Get dropped sometimes and lose progress with challenges

- Loading can be slow going between menus

- Lots of stuff to do which is great, but I waste a lot of time looking for them in the menus

Its a small list, but the loading is very noticeable when you are looking at lots of cards or flipping between teams

Is this game using Sony servers for game saves? I was playing franchise on my Xbox downstairs and when I went to play in my bedroom before I went to bed my game save didn't load automatically. I notice there is a button to download from the cloud. This is new to me as I am used to my saves just being automatically downloaded from the cloud on Xbox. This is kinda a weird thing for Sony to do. They are on Xbox might as well take advantage of their cloud services.

Edit: NVM it was due to my downstairs Xbox losing server connection error before I powered it off. Made sure to connect to the MLB servers and then power it down and now my save is showing on my Xbox upstairs. The download from the cloud is for cross platform saves.

Yeah I agree with the server thing. Sometimes it just randomly loses connection to server. The challenge progress only seems to be towards getting cards but I don't really care about those so no big deal. At least it's not like an EA game where if it loses connection to server you get kicked out of your game.

Also, does anyone know how to change the presentation from The Show 21 to MLB network? I know it gives you a choice at the beginning of the game but I can't find a menu option to change between them.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I agree with the server thing. Sometimes it just randomly loses connection to server. The challenge progress only seems to be towards getting cards but I don't really care about those so no big deal. At least it's not like an EA game where if it loses connection to server you get kicked out of your game.

Also, does anyone know how to change the presentation from The Show 21 to MLB network? I know it gives you a choice at the beginning of the game but I can't find a menu option to change between them.

As far as I can tell you can only change it before a game starts.

Game Information

Game Title: MLB The Show 21

Platforms:

• Xbox One (Apr 16, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Apr 16, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Apr 16, 2021)
  • PC (Apr 16, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Apr 16, 2021)

Developer: San Diego Studio

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 76 average - 86% recommended

Critic Reviews

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

San Diego Studios continue to try and improve an annual product that already has a fantastic core with MLB The Show 21.

Game Informer - 8.5 / 10

Even without many new features, The Show impresses with its play and wealth of content. There's something for everyone

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

Being the most consistent annual sports franchise out there, MLB The Show manages to overcome the loss of a few key features to give players yet another reason to step right back into the batter's box in MLB The Show 21.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8 / 10

As is the case with many annual sequels, MLB The Show 21 is an iteration and improvement over its predecessor. Having said that, if you bought The Show 20, I personally can’t see enough of a change to justify getting 21 in my opinion. There are improvements to the game modes that deserve praise, though I don’t know if it will keep me on the hook for a very long time. Having said that, both titles share some fantastic elements, such as the impressive depth of mechanical customisation, which by itself carries the game into high regard.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

MLB The Show is now multiplatform, so more players can see what makes it one of the best annual sports sims in the world.

Gamerheadquarters - 8 / 10

MLB The Show 21 is another great entry in the series, expanding the platforms while also heading into the next generation.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

A solid home-run hitter, but not the baseball revolution we were hoping for on PS5 and Xbox Series X.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

MLB The Show 21 does exactly what a sports sequel needs to do; it refines and expands on the best features of the predecessor, without taking away from what works.

Gfinity - 4 / 5 stars

MLB The Show 21 doesn’t quite knock this one out of the park. Instead, it’s one of the most well-hit doubles I’ve ever seen. The foundation San Diego Studios has cultivated over the years has allowed them to almost seamlessly transfer over to the next-gen and has me excited to see where the series goes from here.

IGN - 8 / 10

MLB The Show 21 isn't the generational leap forward we might've expected following a new console launch, but it's still the best baseball sim you can play on any platform.

PlayStation Universe - 8 / 10

Not so much a true next-gen leap for MLB, but a cautious set of baby steps towards it. The presentation and gameplay remain strong, and the ability to be a two-way player in Road to the Show has freshened that mode up and made it more enjoyable than ever. MLB The Show 21 is another reliable entry in a strong sporting franchise, but it definitely needs a bit of a shakeup next time out.

Pure Xbox - 8 / 10

It's a fantastic year to be getting MLB The Show 21 on Xbox. There's a welcome 'Casual' preset for beginners, the gameplay is more enjoyable than ever, and newcomers will likely be overwhelmed (in a good way) at the sheer amount of content at their disposal. Road to the Show's new Ballplayer integration won't satisfy everyone, and needs a few tweaks, but it's nevertheless still a highly enjoyable mode to play, and the likes of Diamond Dynasty and March to October are excellent options as well. We've been waiting a long time to experience The Show for ourselves on Xbox, and it's amazing to finally be stepping up to the plate with MLB The Show 21 on Xbox Game Pass.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

AAA-quality baseball is now available to all console owners (please Sony remember the PC in 2022) and the sun is shining on virtual big leaguers who are down for crossplay. MLB The Show 21 is once again an incremental step, but still an important one for the series moving forward.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8 / 10

MLB The Show proves once again that it's one of the best sport simulation out there.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

So while we wait for things like actual new-generation visuals, the return of Online Franchise, and other oft-requested features, appreciate the effort that went into making MLB The Show 21 cross-platform with seamless cross-play, the new stadium creator, and tweaks that went into making your favorite game mode a bit more enjoyable.

CGMagazine - 7.5 / 10

MLB The Show 21 is not an easy game to get the hang of by any means, but it manages to make the experience a good one whether you’re winning or losing.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 7.5 / 10

When you take a step back and look at the "big picture," at least on paper, MLB The Show 21 is a success. That said, when it's your first entry in a new console generation, the bar for success is admittedly quite low. For this reason, not to mention the meager distinctions between the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game, it's fairly difficult to justify the extra expense of making the jump to next-generation hardware. That said, if you decide to take the plunge and pick up the PlayStation 5 version, you won't be disappointed by the latest in a franchise that keeps knocking it out of the park.

Wccftech - 7.5 / 10

While MLB The Show 21 is another solid entry in the series, the pitch to Xbox newcomers and those looking for a next-gen experience isn't as strong as it could have been. Pitching, fielding, and existing modes get some welcome adjustments, but truly significant additions are thin on the ground and the series' presentation is stuck in its tracks. Hardcore hardball fans and Xbox owners who haven't experienced MLB The Show before should have a good time, but this franchise may be in need of a rebuilding phase within the next year or two.

Forbes - 7 / 10

MLB The Show 21 is still loads of fun to play. Franchise is slightly improved, Diamond Dynasty continues to be strong, and Stadium Creator is even better than expected. However, there are areas of the game that don’t feel like an actual next-gen experience, and we’re still missing features that other sports games have had for years.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

MLB The Show 21 maintains the series' continued excellence on the diamond, but missing features and uneven additions hold it back.

Push Square - 7 / 10

MLB The Show 21 swings-and-misses in a few areas, with the well-intentioned Ballplayer system diminishing Road to the Show. Despite being stingier, though, Diamond Dynasty is still the best card collecting mode available, and the series' tried and trusted gameplay has been further enhanced with the addition of Pinpoint Pitching and new fielding animations. Sony San Diego hasn't quite hit a home run this year, but this is a strong lead-off double for baseball on PS5.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

MLB The Show 21 is yet another solid entry in Sony's now multi-platform sports franchise. The consistent tweaks to how the game functions and its quality-of-life improvements each year have helped create a balanced, solid foundation for each iteration to improve on. Even though MLB The Show 21 lacks in delivering a truly engrossing current-gen experience on the new consoles in some ways and has a few typical sports franchise pitfalls, it's still an enjoyable game that has a high degree of craftsmanship.

Operation Sports - Unscored

MLB The Show 21 is still sure to satisfy most baseball fans in at least one way, and I still believe it's enjoyable enough to to win over some new fans at a time when baseball could definitely use them. But when you're the "can't miss" prospect, expectations are always high, and The Show does not always live up to those expectations this year.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Fernando Tatis Jr. Graces the Cover of MLB the Show 21 Coming to Playstation and Xbox (Available 4/20/21), update - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Sony gets a pass from me about the medicore scores due to the fact that everything about the game is new to me :p This game is great but I guess if you have been playing this series on Playstation it's not much of a difference from last year. Hopefully that was due to it being the first multiplatform game in the series.