SpaceX violated its launch license in explosive Starship test

“Unlike its aircraft division, which is fine, the FAA space division has a fundamentally broken regulatory structure,” he tweeted on Thursday. “Their rules are meant for a handful of expendable launches per year from a few government facilities. Under those rules, humanity will never get to Mars.”

The license violation (and subsequent license review process) has escalated tensions between SpaceX and the world’s biggest transportation agency. For years, Musk and others in the space industry have bemoaned the age-old US regulatory framework for launch licensing as innovation and competition in space skyrockets. In response, the US Department of Transportation — which delegates its launch oversight duties to the FAA — unveiled new streamlined launch licensing regulations last year. They have yet to go into effect.

From what I've read, the violation was based on the fact that between the time SpaceX applied for their license and when the Starship prototype performed it's test flight, SpaceX swapped out one of the engines (it has three).  This technically made the Starship a *new* vehicle, which required it go through the licensing process again.  

I think that is absurd.  It's a test vehicle with no humans aboard, and the area around the facility was evacuated.  From my point of view, this is just the FAA being inflexible in their interpretation of the rules.  I hope the new administration doesn't choke off innovation in the area of space exploration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, legend said:

Hey, getting more exploration and people on Mars is actually one of the few things I agree with Musk about -- even if I don't want to live there in my lifetime.

I wanna get to Mars as well, but it's a fucking dumb carrot to dangle when it's not clear what specific license issue is being discussed. Musk has zero credibility when it comes to procedural or regulatory issues kneecapping him, from my POV.

11 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

How long is a A.I. lifetime?

Some more than others. For most of the ones I make, I kill them usually in a few days or less.

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I wanna get to Mars as well, but it's a fucking dumb carrot to dangle when it's not clear what specific license issue is being discussed. Musk has zero credibility when it comes to procedural or regulatory issues kneecapping him, from my POV.

Okay, on that much I agree!

On 1/30/2021 at 8:56 AM, mclumber1 said:

From what I've read, the violation was based on the fact that between the time SpaceX applied for their license and when the Starship prototype performed it's test flight, SpaceX swapped out one of the engines (it has three).  This technically made the Starship a *new* vehicle, which required it go through the licensing process again.  

I think that is absurd.  It's a test vehicle with no humans aboard, and the area around the facility was evacuated.  From my point of view, this is just the FAA being inflexible in their interpretation of the rules.  I hope the new administration doesn't choke off innovation in the area of space exploration.

You have a link ? I am trying to follow this but I cant find anything from the FFA official source.

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

You have a link ? I am trying to follow this but I cant find anything from the FFA official source.

No, sorry I don't.  Just chatter on various space related forums.  Another person speculated that SpaceX exceeded 12.5 kilometers, which was the max height the Starship prototype was allowed to ascend to. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'd rather fix the current planet than daydream about the next one

I don't think we have to choose between working towards exploring Mars and fixing our planet. As far as I can tell, nothing about the Mars effort has detracted from fixing our planet. Our main problem with fixing our planet is just lack of willingness from those in power.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'd rather fix the current planet than daydream about the next one

Some things you can't fix - like a super volcano exploding or an asteroid hitting the Earth.  Both of those are good reasons to make our civilization multiplanetary, even if it's just a small group of people living on the moon or another planet like Mars.  

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Some things you can't fix - like a super volcano exploding or an asteroid hitting the Earth.  Both of those are good reasons to make our civilization multiplanetary, even if it's just a small group of people living on the moon or another planet like Mars.  

If there's a planetary death stroke like a supervolcano or asteroid, I got bad news for these colonies as well

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If there's a planetary death stroke like a supervolcano or asteroid, I got bad news for these colonies as well

Sure, if the colony is dependent on Earth, it too would eventually die as well.  But the goal is to have it eventually become self sufficient.  This will likely take generations to actually accomplish.

But what you are suggesting will result in us never even attempting to become a multiplanetary civilization, which means we are dead regardless if we fix issues like pollution or not.  

Nothing short of nuclear war is going to stop humanity from progressing and expanding, in the coming century. There will be massive changes as a result of climate change and the population peak/shrink, but there is no extinction-level event caused by CO2 levels rising. That's not to say that bad things aren't going to happen—really bad things—but extinction or societal collapse isn't on the menu, I believe. I am prepared for a shift towards authoritarianism in the wake of migration, however.

Without mitigation we've probably got a century

We've already baked in the next ~40 years of warming already and by mid century, per the IPCC, we may not be able to support large scale human civilization with current agriculture practices. This is mot even considering ocean acidification and releasing methane stores to really disrupt water accessibility and other effects of rising temperatures

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
210222133827-hayley-arceneaux-interview-
WWW.CNN.COM

Hayley Arceneaux, a 29-year-old cancer survivor and physician assistant at St. Jude children's hospital, got an out-of-the-blue question from her employer last month: Would she like to go to space?

Super cool!  It will be interesting to see who else is picked for the 2 remaining seats on this flight.  

• 2 weeks later...

Successful test!  Starship Prototype Serial Number 10 successfully launched, reached 10 km in altitude, turned off it's engines, belly flopped back through the atmosphere, relit it's engines, and touched down on the landing pad.  

It was a bit of a Leaning Tower of Pisa afterwards, and it did blow up shortly after landing, but this was a HUGE step forward for this program.  

• Shocked 1

25 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Successful test!  Starship Prototype Serial Number 10 successfully launched, reached 10 km in altitude, turned off it's engines, belly flopped back through the atmosphere, relit it's engines, and touched down on the landing pad.  

It was a bit of a Leaning Tower of Pisa afterwards, and it did blow up shortly after landing, but this was a HUGE step forward for this program.  

the footage at 11:40 is almost too good, stunning

• 4 weeks later...