~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:
106869089-1618511051368-Screen-Shot-2021
WWW.CNBC.COM

Hometown International reported $35,748 in sales in 2019 and 2020, combined, but is worth millions in the over-the-counter market.

Shit like this, Dogecoin and crypto in general make me very nervous about the state of things. Like none of it makes any sense and when things don't make sense they tend to blow up spectacularly.  It feels like FOMO on a scale we have never seen before.

Just now, Air_Delivery said:

Shit like this, Dogecoin and crypto in general make me very nervous about the state of things. Like none of it makes any sense and when things don't make sense they tend to blow up spectacularly.  It feels like FOMO on a scale we have never seen before.

OTC market is basically the wild west. The only OTC stock I’d ever consider is probably Nintendo or one that’s attempting Nasdaq compliance.

The gains made by my "safe" investments like VIGAX/VUG would have been considered ridiculous at any other time in history. It just makes me a bit nervous like asymmetric inflation is happening or the gap between asset holder "haves" and everyone else is accelerating at a breakneck pace.

The whole thing feels very combustible. 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:
106869089-1618511051368-Screen-Shot-2021
WWW.CNBC.COM

Hometown International reported $35,748 in sales in 2019 and 2020, combined, but is worth millions in the over-the-counter market.

Okay, I’m legitimately considering taking the 40 min drive to go here now. I have questions and the reviews claim they have good cheesesteaks 

Your Hometown Deli
(856) 687-5339

AF1QipMzsZUbd7HQwEXlNiteqybScI5OUQAaOrW5
GOO.GL

★★★★★ · Deli

19 cents for dogecoin again

It's now at the point where I'm getting torn on what to do. If I sold everything right this second I'd have about $12k after taxes (all long term capital gains, I've been holding these for years now), but it's so fucking tempting to hold out for dogecoin hitting $1...if it were $1 right now I'd sell a quarter of my dogecoin and then ride the rest out.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

19 cents for dogecoin again

It's now at the point where I'm getting torn on what to do. If I sold everything right this second I'd have about $12k after taxes (all long term capital gains, I've been holding these for years now), but it's so fucking tempting to hold out for dogecoin hitting $1...if it were $1 right now I'd sell a quarter of my dogecoin and then ride the rest out.

If it were me I'd lock in some gains and then average out it. 

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

If it were me I'd lock in some gains and then average out it. 

The hard part for me is let's say I sold a quarter of my coins right now at 20 cents, I'd net about $3k after taxes. That's nothing to sneeze at obviously and I'd be a little sad if I wake up tomorrow to dogecoin having cratered back down but I don't need the $3k, $3k isn't nearly as tempting as it would have been before all the money I've saved the past year. Which makes circles back to fueling the temptation to just go for broke on holding out for a huge gain.

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

How do capital gainz work with trading cryptocurrency?

It's the same as stocks, but establishing the cost basis can become a nightmare if you've got a bunch of crypto-to-crypto swaps to keep track of. Each time you do a swap you're technically supposed to treat it as a taxable event and declare the gain/loss you took as a result of the swap...even if you're keeping track of the actual prices at the times you do the swap it's a headache trying to figure what's valued at what out once you sell.

When I eventually sell I plan to just say the cost basis is $0 because the actual cost basis is at most $100, not worth trying to figure out the actual cost basis at that point if I'm making at least 5 figures on the sale, it's at most an extra $85 in my pocket. I was technically supposed to declare each deposit from the mining pool as a taxable gain but it was so little money at the time that I never bothered.