~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

Some people I know are acting like the market is crashing, but this isn’t even remotely close to a crash. The S and P and Dow look totally fine. Seems to me like biotech and tech in general are getting a much deserved correction.

19 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You actually look at your index fund performance? Heretic

I keep a spreadsheet with amounts at the end of each month. I'm able to do it because I have the willpower to not be spooked and withdraw. It sucks seeing it drop 5% in a month if there is a big downswing, but I know it will just go back up. I have a pretty high risk tolerance at this point, though, since these funds will be growing for another 20-30 years. Obviously every few years (especially closer to retirement) I will create a slowly-more-conservative portfolio.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I keep a spreadsheet with amounts at the end of each month. I'm able to do it because I have the willpower to not be spooked and withdraw. It sucks seeing it drop 5% in a month if there is a big downswing, but I know it will just go back up. I have a pretty high risk tolerance at this point, though, since these funds will be growing for another 20-30 years. Obviously every few years (especially closer to retirement) I will create a slowly-more-conservative portfolio.

My actual retirement fund (as opposed to my YOLO BLIAQ buying brokerage stuff) is just on a target retirement date option that automatically shifts from more to less risk as it gets closer to the target date, no need to remember to manage it every few years.

30 minutes ago, Joe said:

Some people I know are acting like the market is crashing, but this isn’t even remotely close to a crash. The S and P and Dow look totally fine. Seems to me like biotech and tech in general are getting a much deserved correction.

Basically all of FinTwits favorites are being wrecked. All those GME and AMC tendies going up in flames. If you own good stocks, lower your position if possible. If not, then wait it out. This is a normal correction like we saw last year. 

40 minutes ago, Joe said:

It's all small caps, not any specific sector as far as I can tell. Some are being hit harder than others, sure, but, it's pretty bloody out there today.

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I also have the willpower. And I look every day. My portfolio went down 16% in one week. Not index funds though. Just individual stocks.

42 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Does your account interface not do that sort of data tracking for you?

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Even discount-brokerage apps like Webull let me see all that stuff without having to manually keep a journal. Personally, I'd only start keeping a trading journal if I started using multiple brokerages.

:shrug:

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They do, but I have different investments in a few different places. My old work had an RRSP (401k) program I paid into, and it's locked-in there. My new work has an even better program (match 100% of my contributions up to 7.5% of my gross salary), so it's in a different place. And then I have investments in a TFSA (Roth IRA?) on my own. Easier to just make a spreadsheet with a single entry for each, each month.

7 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Some inflation isn't a bad thing

It really just depends on what and why. But I’ve got a $3.5 million dollar loan with a nominal interest rate of 3% so LETS PUMP THOSE INFLATION NUMBERS UP

Trump would have tweeted “Powell needs to be fired. Fuck the fed. Economy is 🚀. Buy the dip, bitches” and the market would have reversed course and been green across the board. Someone either unban Trump from Twitter or wake up sleepy Joe.