~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

Big hedge funds bet millions that GameStop would continue to drop. Instead, the chodes at r/WSB helped increased the price, causing the big funds to have to buy up more stocks to be able to pay back the shorts. But this drives up prices further. The hedge funds will likely lose billions, some Redditors will make millions, and lots of people buying in now and in the near future will probably lose a bunch.

WSB is a terrible subreddit full of toxic Chads and Tads stuck in the 4chan bully culture of the mid-2000s...but the big hedge funds are also evil. It's a "let them fight" scenario since bad people are bound to lose a bunch of money, either way.

A young coworker of mine today was saying he’s planning on committing 4k of his meager savings to buy ten shares of Gamestock when it hits $350 territory and was kind of dumbstruck when I told him he could lose over half of what he invests if the stock goes back to what it was worth Tuesday morning.  Made me go “Yeah this might really obliterate some newcomers on the way down...”  But is it worth it to see some hedge funds get their comeuppance on the way up?  There’s the multi-billion dollar question...

5 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

A young coworker of mine today was saying he’s planning on committing 3k of his meager savings to buy ten shares of Gamestock when it hits $350 territory and was kind of dumbstruck when I told him he could lose over half of what he invests if the stock goes back to what it was worth Tuesday morning.  Made me go “Yeah this might really obliterate some newcomers on the way down...”  But is it worth it to see some hedge funds get their comeuppance on the way up?  There’s the multi-billion dollar question...

Everyone knows it is gonna collapse. The trick is to hold the line until the short/gamma squeeze happens. Then it is every person for themselves.

That said I would never put anything in it I'm not willing to lose. It is sheer gambling and getting people to hold the line is like herding cats.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I've made peace with the fact that we might lost most of these $320. It's not a lot, but I usually don't do stupid shit like this.

Think of it in poker terms, the pot odds are worth it as long as losing the bet isn't a big deal for you.