~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

I have an addictive personality so now that I’m into investing for the first time I totally get how people get hooked on the market. Even though I just buy and hold, I’m constantly checking in on my stocks several times a day. It can be a rush seeing one of my stocks rise! I definitely need to work on my self control now so that I don’t go crazy once my income level increases.

59 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I have an addictive personality so now that I’m into investing for the first time I totally get how people get hooked on the market. Even though I just buy and hold, I’m constantly checking in on my stocks several times a day. It can be a rush seeing one of my stocks rise! I definitely need to work on my self control now so that I don’t go crazy once my income level increases.

It's all about fighting your emotions and being purely analytical, tbh

4 hours ago, Komusha said:

As long as you don't do stupid shit you should be fine. On red days I just don't check and do something else.

Also at least in my mind I have "real money" and "stock money". It helps me deal with 10k+ swings in my account and not dwelling on "what could have been if I did X". I tend to look at my invested money as a "flow" that hopefully generally moves in the right direction. If I believe in the company (and nothing disastrous happened to them) I don't worry. And have most of your money in broad passive indices to reduce risk.

The key thing is to have a timeframe. If you plan on using that money anytime soon, don't have it in stocks.