Still serving at 87, Dianne Feinstein brushes off calls to resign over memory issues: The official thread of what year is it where am I who are you who am I?

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So do they just finish up Newsoms term? 

Yes, this election will happen in November probably so they're only getting like 15 months. Gonna cost us a cool $40 million for the election though. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Jason changed the title to Still serving at 87, Dianne Feinstein brushes off calls to resign over memory issues: The official thread of what year is it where am I who are you who am I?
1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

Pat Leahy and Bernie are also 81 and 79 respectively and Vermont currently has a Republican governor, and Ben Cardin in Maryland is 77 with Larry Hogan as Governor. The Senate majority is incredibly fragile.

Leahy is apparently insisting on saying under the delusion he's the only non-Republican who could win his seat. :silly:

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Vermont is a different beast.

I'm pretty sure also Vermont has a rule that the governor can't just pick anyone they want to replace a Senate seat. Or maybe I'm thinking of Mass.

Not sure about Vermont, but the law in Massachusetts was just recently changed to say a governor has to choose replacement senators with someone from the same party. That was mainly so Elizabeth Warren wouldn't get replaced with a Republican if Biden ever tapped her for a cabinet position.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Not sure about Vermont, but the law in Massachusetts was just recently changed to say a governor has to choose replacement senators with someone from the same party. That was mainly so Elizabeth Warren wouldn't get replaced with a Republican if Biden ever tapped her for a cabinet position.

It seems that in Vermont, the Governor CAN fill the position, but it only lasts as long as 6 months, by which time there must be a special election.

• 1 month later...