Superman and Lois Season 2 Premieres 1/11/22

On 7/26/2021 at 5:59 PM, Kal-El814 said:

That's not to say there aren't contrivances (I have no idea what Jordan and Sara were arrested for? Clark really needed to lampshade Lois's journalistic ethics given that she's married to Superman, etc.), but as long as they're in service to the characters behaving earnestly I'm all in. There's plenty of potential for ongoing drama with the boys having to keep the family secrets, Lois walking the line between doing her job and protecting the family, etc.

I got the impression that they were arrested for truancy or turned over to a truant officer, and then they were let off with a warning because it wasn't really that great of an infraction. There was an aside that Lois says that kind of gave me that impression, which I only noticed because my dvr shut down by accident, and I had to replay that scene which caused me to notice her aside the second time through.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:59 PM, Kal-El814 said:

That's not to say there aren't contrivances (I have no idea what Jordan and Sara were arrested for?

2 hours ago, brucoe said:

I got the impression that they were arrested for truancy or turned over to a truant officer, and then they were let off with a warning because it wasn't really that great of an infraction. There was an aside that Lois says that kind of gave me that impression, which I only noticed because my dvr shut down by accident, and I had to replay that scene which caused me to notice her aside the second time through.

It was trespassing. The cop says it's private property, Lana says she's been going there since she was a kid, and Lois points out that if even Lana didn't know it was private property then how were the kids supposed know they were trespassing.

The parents were pissed about the truancy but it's not what the kids were picked up for.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 1:38 PM, Jason said:

Another good episode. 

I like Clark showing up and Jonathan is just EDGE HAS JORDAN GO and Clark immediately takes off and it's not ten minutes of hallway pep talks in the middle of the crisis. 

Yeah, this was another pretty good one.

Part of what makes "stakes" work (or not work) in shows like this is how the characters react to things. Superman dashing off to save Jordan and Clark not being able to hold it together when he tells Lois he can't find them is better than most of these shows manage at the best of times, it's good stuff. Jonathan aiming the Kryptonite bullet at Edge after their car just got wrecked was sold really well too, the danger was really apparent.

They do miss the ball on the larger, big picture stuff, though. I STILL don't know how the show wants me to feel about Sam, he and the family have fallen out and gotten back together a LOT of times already. And something like a multinational conglomerate buying the Smallville Gazette is too lulzy for worlds, what the actual hell was that? And I know it's a COVID season and everything, but that paper having TWO employees is bizarre. Nothing about it has made a ton of sense. Lois's name is in the title, I hope they give her more to do going forward outside the admittedly very good family dynamic. And now Edge can just... I dunno, Professor X Kryptonian powers into people without that machine, setup, and a population that's been exposed to X-Krptonite? Why the hell wasn't that Plan A, it seems MUCH better :p

I'm interested in seeing how this season ends given that it's had more plot in its abbreviated first season than other CW shows have had across several full ones.

Okay, some more thoughts about the finale / season overall.

I really did like the finale. I think the pace of the mid season being fast helped it feel a bit more grand. The show really nails the family / emotional beats with the core crew and I thought the Jonathan / Jordan / Lois stuff was generally very good… even if Lois being okay with Jonathan standing guard, alone, with a gun was kinda bizarre. I know they had to set up the brotherly bonding but it still felt weird.

The scene with Edge getting hammered looked really cool! I know I keep shitting on The Flash, but I think they made much better use of the SFX budget here than there. The show is easily the best looking current Arrowverse show, it’s not even close. They take a lot of cues from Smallville and really nail the lighting and occasionally over saturated colors for the Smallville stuff and contrast that with Superman’s stuff being a little more muted. It’s subtle (and I assume intentional :p ) and really like it.

The acting is really good too, I think the Cushings, John, and the Kents are all really well cast and believable. It’s hard to do “realistic” teen stuff well but I think Jordan and Sarah’s relationship feels very high school, in a good way. Superman taking accountability for the world’s perception of Kryptonians is ownership and responsibility that a lot of superhero stuff doesn’t bother with beyond lip service, it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out but I like that they’re going there for now.

I still think the surprise funeral was weird as hell. The moment was touching, the execution was fucking bizarre.

I wonder where the show is going. There are obvious threads for season 2 but the bigger picture stuff is what the show does LEAST well. Lois flipping a Metropolis townhouse to buy half a small town paper so that it didn’t get sold to a conglomerate still feels weird. And the cliffhanger was weird for a season ender, as opposed to a mid-season drop. But this seems to mean that Wole Parks will stick around which is great. Sam Lane retiring from active duty feels nice, but… 7734 obviously can’t go away given Clark’s take and the continued existence of two other (lel) Krptonians. Who’s he going to trust to lead that given that he’s handing the keys to killing his son in law and grandson over?

I wonder what the season would have been like without COVID fucking with the whole Arrowverse. The Diggle episode in particular seems like it was mashed into a season from another year given that nobody asks about Kara, nobody acknowledges multiple earths other than Diggle, barely,etc.

Anyway excited for Season 2 for sure.

• Jason changed the title to Superman and Lois Season 2 Premieres 1/11/22
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 1:52 PM, Jason said:

It's back tomorrow @Kal-El814 :santasun:

I’m liking this season in general so far other than the very specific Lois / Lucy thing. I feel like I’m missing something? Lucy had what sounds like a near death experience, Lois didn’t write about it, and this matters… why? People have those when they almost die, Lucy having one wouldn’t mean the cult is “real.” 

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m liking this season in general so far other than the very specific Lois / Lucy thing. I feel like I’m missing something? Lucy had what sounds like a near death experience, Lois didn’t write about it, and this matters… why? People have those when they almost die, Lucy having one wouldn’t mean the cult is “real.” 

Spoiler

They got back the same actress who played Lucy in Supergirl, and in that show she had a much better life than in S&L. So people are thinking there's going to be a multiverse connection here. "The Inverse Method" could also be a pretty on-the-nose Bizarro connection, although it'd be a little weird if Ally has this cultish following from people seeing weird zombie versions of themselves, Lucy somehow connecting to the version of her on Supergirl makes more sense.

People also think Ally is Parasite even independent of Lois calling her a parasite.

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Aaaaaaaaah that would make sense. I’ve never seen Supergirl in anything outside of the crossover episodes so the whole thing just seemed weird. 

Yeah I've seen most of Supergirl but not all of season one, so I didn't get that that connection was there, or even know that Lucy had been in Supergirl, until I saw it discussed on reddit. 

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah I've seen most of Supergirl but not all of season one, so I didn't get that that connection was there, or even know that Lucy had been in Supergirl, until I saw it discussed on reddit. 

Thanks for the tip. 

Also they kinda dropped Jordan having social anxiety haven’t they?

20 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Thanks for the tip. 

Also they kinda dropped Jordan having social anxiety haven’t they?

I guess? It seems like maybe the point is his life in Smallville has been good for that though, it was the impetus for them moving there in the first place after all. 

Also

Spoiler

I totally forgot about Sarah trying to kill herself so I thought "her incident" was going to be kissing the other girl at camp, which seemed majorly out of place given the rest of the writing around that. 

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

I guess? It seems like maybe the point is his life in Smallville has been good for that though, it was the impetus for them moving there in the first place after all. 

Also

Reveal hidden contents

I totally forgot about Sarah trying to kill herself so I thought "her incident" was going to be kissing the other girl at camp, which seemed majorly out of place given the rest of the writing around that. 

I had the exact same train of thought. Also I keep forgetting they have a second daughter who shows up... occasionally. :p 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Jason said:

Such a good episode this week, but now it's on break again until the end of the month. :sadsun:

This whole arc has been a lot better than I'd expected given that I feel it started off kinda weak. The performances have been really strong, too. Jon and Jordan specifically I think have been killing it in general, and they really come off like brothers in an endearing way. My only gripe is that for a show called Superman and Lois, they could really do a better job of giving Lois something to actually do. I don't want her to get Iris West'd.

• 1 month later...

whelp

Spoiler

Even with the namedrop of Oliver I could forgive it if they just decided to ignore last season's Diggle appearance to retcon this show as being on a different Earth, but why the fuck bring Diggle on like 15 minutes after the "your dad is this world's only hero" line if that's what you're doing?

On 6/28/2022 at 10:22 PM, Jason said:

whelp

Hide contents

Even with the namedrop of Oliver I could forgive it if they just decided to ignore last season's Diggle appearance to retcon this show as being on a different Earth, but why the fuck bring Diggle on like 15 minutes after the "your dad is this world's only hero" line if that's what you're doing?

I just caught up with this show, and for as much as I really like it and this season, the Diggle stuff makes absolutely no sense at all. Is he going between worlds? Given what happened and what Sam said it seems unlikely that this takes place on Flash's earth. So weird.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I just caught up with this show, and for as much as I really like it and this season, the Diggle stuff makes absolutely no sense at all. Is he going between worlds? Given what happened and what Sam said it seems unlikely that this takes place on Flash's earth. So weird.

Apparently it's just this world's Diggle. But I'd be fine with just ignoring last season's Diggle appearance name dropping Oliver though if they would have just not done Diggle 10 minutes after Sam's line. 

Helbing is insisting in interviews this was always the plan but I don't buy it. We know there was a Batwoman crossover that got scuttled by COVID. I think covid forced them to go more solo and now that Legends and Batwoman got unceremoniously canceled they think their best bet is to try to cut cord from the sinking Arrowverse ship. Which makes perfect sense, but the way they handled this shift from soft reboot to hard retcon was just shit. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Apparently it's just this world's Diggle. But I'd be fine with just ignoring last season's Diggle appearance name dropping Oliver though if they would have just not done Diggle 10 minutes after Sam's line. 

Helbing is insisting in interviews this was always the plan but I don't buy it. We know there was a Batwoman crossover that got scuttled by COVID. I think covid forced them to go more solo and now that Legends and Batwoman got unceremoniously canceled they think their best bet is to try to cut cord from the sinking Arrowverse ship. Which makes perfect sense, but the way they handled this shift from soft reboot to hard retcon was just shit. 

Yeah it’s goofy. Given that this arc was about the same characters from other worlds who all looked different from one another in the interest of differentiating them, seems pretty unlikely that identically dressed and made up Diggles on shows a couple weeks apart from one another was a coincidence. I also get that they can’t just say “we didn’t know shit was going to be canceled lol” so it’s just this weird shit where it feels like Sam’s comment was part of a reshoot specifically designed to paper over the multiverse. But if you’re going to do that just have Lois figure it out or something? That would give her character something to do. 

It doesn’t really matter but it’s just weird. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...