Godzilla vs Kong Official Thread

Place Your Bets... Who you got  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Place Your Bets... Who you got

• Godzilla
    • Kong

Took the hit and went to watch in theater... theater was damn near full, had hoped for some nice crowd noise but they were pretty subdued... most nice came at the end when they applauded..

The human portions with the little girl and the hollow earth guy still flowed pretty well because of their communication and proximity to Kong...

The portions with deadpool kid, conspiracy guy were the only portions where I felt the film drag.... the Bobbie Brown girl looked alot like a younger Alyssa Milano (at least in this film)...

The score sounded great in theaters though the lack of the godzilla theme is annoying ..what they use is more focused on making godzilla appear evil..

Skull Island was a lot of fun. Much better handling of the human part of the story. Still fluffy lite fun, still just an excuse to get to the monster fights... but not as cringy and dumb. It's really shouldn't be that hard to make these parts slightly better... is it?

I can never wrap my head around how so many of these mega budget Hollywood blockbusters end up with such unbelievably terrible scripts.

17 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I keep thinking about Pacific Rim. I mean, the humans in that movie aren’t exactly brilliantly layered characters or anything, but they are functional and actually have a reason to be in the movie. 

Yeah, but those movies are about humans versus kaiju. The Godzilla movies are kaiju versus kaiju.

12 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Which I guess just feels inherently less interesting to me. 

That's just fine. It's not for everyone. Godzilla movies can have it two ways, stupid fun popcorn or straight disaster film. Godzilla as a disaster movie would work fine, but you're also just going to upset everyone that wants to see Godzilla fight some other kaiju. I'm fairly certain Toho's number one rule for Godzilla is that Godzilla is an emotionless natural disaster. I mean, I would totally be down for a Godzilla movie where Godzilla and the other kaiju are just background noise to the disaster as it's happening. The one thing no American studio would ever do, though, is have a kaiju movie with no military. Once the military is involved, it becomes humans versus kaiju and that gets boring when the kaiju always win and it's then played off as a win for humans.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A lot of people think that this movie is a lowkey origin story for the Jaegers in Pacific Rim.

Guillermo del Toro isn't helping.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

WB/LEgendary would be silly to pass this up... Interesting that they timed the Pacific Rim Anime to come out around the same time as Zilla vs Kong :thinking:

I want another Pacific Rim, this time actually good like the first one. If they want to tie it into Godzilla, have Godzilla be terribly injured in a previous fight and have humans to fend for themselves for the next hundred years. Retcon the alternate dimension kaiju came from as the Hollow Earth. Then have Godzilla finally heal up and show up to take out some crazy huge kaiju that's been destroying the jaegers.

There, I wrote all the important stuff. WB and Legendary can take it from there.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I want another Pacific Rim, this time actually good like the first one. If they want to tie it into Godzilla, have Godzilla be terribly injured in a previous fight and have humans to fend for themselves for the next hundred years. Retcon the alternate dimension kaiju came from as the Hollow Earth. Then have Godzilla finally heal up and show up to take out some crazy huge kaiju that's been destroying the jaegers.

There, I wrote all the important stuff. WB and Legendary can take it from there.

You dont't even have to retcon anything really... King of Monsters established that Monster Zero aka Ghidorah was not a Titan native to Earth. You could basically say the same aliens who were sending the Kaju in Pacific Rim sent Ghidorah. HE was always a weapon from alien invaders in the old Godzilla movies. The aliens could send enough Kaju to overwhelm the Titants of Earth leaving Kong and Godzilla having to rally the remaining monsters (Rodan, a reborn Mothra, Anguiruss :pray: and Gamera :pray::pray::pray:) to defend Earth along with the first human built Jaeger JET JAGUAR :shock:... NOW you have a movie :p

I watched this last night and, mind, it’s the first movie I’ve seen in Dolby Vision (old tv only did hdr10) at home, but man it was GORGEOUS. Definitely the thing I’ll be showing my Dad when he comes over tomorrow to try to convince him to finally upgrade his 1080p.

Everything that wasn’t monsters was just complete nonsense and it’s crazy how much they could easily cut and it wouldn’t matter, but it’s so beautiful looking and the fights were cool so I enjoyed it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I finally watched this last night, and damn that was fun. Very cool fights between very big monsters. 

The daughter of the billionaire is dumb as shit. Shoot Kong because he's in the way? Did you really think that would hurt him after all the other shit you saw him take? What did you think would happen? Dumb bitch. I think that's the only part of the movie that annoyed me because of how stupid it was lol. 

Actually maybe the other thing annoyed me is conspiracy guy being the good guy, and Madison believing every word he says, and goes along with his conspiracy ideas like showering in bleach. Like I know it's played for laughs, but knowing how fucking nuts actual conspiracy theorists are in real life, it's not funny. 

But whatever, CHONKE VS MONKE WAS AWESOME! 

I still need to watch my copy :cry:

It joins a huge pile of movies I’ve been holding off on seeing until my receiver gets here. I can’t wait to watch it in 3D on my projector setup with a proper Atmos setup along with it. I’ve had to remove myself from conversations with all the movies I’m holding back on.