Joe Biden's Inauguration

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One thing I like about Twitterrific is I still have a chronological timeline for tweets. No algo trying to decide exactly which bit of content I should see. I also use it primarily for movie, sports, tech news. Because of that I pretty much only see terrible Twitter content because of @Jasonlinking them here.

46 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One thing I like about Twitterrific is I still have a chronological timeline for tweets. No algo trying to decide exactly which bit of content I should see. I also use it primarily for movie, sports, tech news. Because of that I pretty much only see terrible Twitter content because of @Jasonlinking them here.

You can do that with the default Twitter app and website. Just choose see latest tweets.

But I agree with your point about algorithms. It was one of the reasons giving up Facebook was easier than it would have been 2-3 years ago.

I just watched an interview on CNN with a "former" QANON follower and he made an interesting point. He said that he was drawn into the conspiracy during a time in his life when he was pretty sure he was suffering from depression and was looking for something to latch onto. He said that the Q conspiracy started in late 2017 and in that short period of time, has gone from being a fringe internet conspiracy to having actual elected officials in CONGRESS that subscribe to it. He also talked about how leaders in the Q movement used social media to manipulate its followers and gave examples... interesting stuff but I think the takeaway is that this movement wouldn't have spread as widely or as quickly without social media. Pizzagate was how long ago? Did the social media companies crack down on this conspiracy after that? No.

30 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

You can do that with the default Twitter app and website. Just choose see latest tweets.

But I agree with your point about algorithms. It was one of the reasons giving up Facebook was easier than it would have been 2-3 years ago.

Default Twitter always tries to send you to the curated feed, and has ads. No thanks!

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just watched an interview on CNN with a "former" QANON follower and he made an interesting point. He said that he was drawn into the conspiracy during a time in his life when he was pretty sure he was suffering from depression and was looking for something to latch onto. He said that the Q conspiracy started in late 2017 and in that short period of time, has gone from being a fringe internet conspiracy to having actual elected officials in CONGRESS that subscribe to it. He also talked about how leaders in the Q movement used social media to manipulate its followers and gave examples... interesting stuff but I think the takeaway is that this movement wouldn't have spread as widely or as quickly without social media. Pizzagate was how long ago? Did the social media companies crack down on this conspiracy after that? No.

This is the same way that white nationalists have done recruiting, thinking back to the 90's at least. It's a familiar playbook just on a bigger scale now