Joe Biden's Inauguration

Just now, Joe said:

That’s a problem with every social media platform. At least Twitter serves a function. 

You have to know to take news from randos on Twitter with a grain of salt. But the point is those randos can deliver pictures before any news agency can and that’s important. Like I said about that fire in town earlier, I had pictures of the fire within minutes of the incident happening. Without Twitter, I would have been in the dark questioning if something crazy Covid related happened.

Similar to when we are all freaking out in the restaurant when the NYC bombing happened. Yes of course we had people mistakenly say it was ConEdison related and the like, but we got pictures of the actual bombing area before it was on TV.

Do you know how much harm can be done by people getting the wrong information quickly? A LOT. Twitter's very format and the fact that they couldn't be bothered to police their platform has led to untold social harm since it became popular. Just the amount of bad info that they let Trump's account spew for YEARS until two weeks ago should be testament to that and he's just ONE USER. We survived for decades not getting "news" at lightning speed so that alone isn't enough to justify Twitter's utility to me. MOST Social media platforms suck, but Twitter with it's 147 character format serves VERY little purpose... again, whatever floats your boat. If you find it useful, cool... but I really don't see how anyone can see how this platform has handled it's reach and influence and defend it :shrug:

It’s by far the most important social media platform. Facebook Instagram and TikTok could go tomorrow and literally nothing would be lost. Twitter is different. That does not mean they haven’t fucked up in many ways, though, and at least they have taken steps to correct it.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

For COVID, it’s been a lifesaver too. Murphy put his info up there first and updates everything else accordingly.

Your serious bro? You know how much COVID misinformation Twitter was responsible for before they started to add disclaimers? So you think Twitter and other Social Media companies have been more beneficial to society regarding the Pandemic? Really???

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Your serious bro? You know how much COVID misinformation Twitter was responsible for before they started to add disclaimers? So you think Twitter and other Social Media companies have been more beneficial to society regarding the Pandemic? Really???

That misinformation was still spread just as much on Facebook! The difference being my governor did not break new COVID news on Facebook first.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

That misinformation was still spread just as much on Facebook! The difference being my governor did not break new COVID news on Facebook first.

I'm not defending Facebook... fuck all of the social media companies to be honest. They can ALL disappear and the world would probably be better for it. I get emails from NJ.GOV... so again, didn't need Twitter to get the same information you got from the same Governor. Does Twitter have some uses for some people? sure. Do those uses outweigh the damage that the platform has done since its inception? I'd argue NO. Again, my personal opinion... they literally didn not start "correcting their mistakes" as you put it, until LAST YEAR. Think about that for a second... when teenagers were getting cyberbullied and harassed to the point of suicide, they did NOTHING. 

That stuff is happening since the dawn of the internet and yes it’s horrific, but it doesn’t negate Twitter’s positives. Twitter could be gone tomorrow and it will still happen at the same rate elsewhere.

Getting emails from the Governor are fine. But I can check his Twitter at 1pm each day and get the information the moment it drops. It’s about the speed of news delivery for me.

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

all i’m tryna say is twitter > facebook 

This discussion happened between my wife and I from a scene in Lupin (you all should be watching Lupin!)

Imagine having a video clip that you needed to disseminate as quickly and as widespread as possible: would anyone in there right mind say, “Oh let me put this bad boy on Facebook!” Of course not.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

I’m not getting sexy photos on Twitter like I do Instagram.

Also, art is easier to share on Instagram. Like that guy mariogmaiale, he’s great, give him a follow on the gram!

It's actually the opposite. You can get "sexier" photos on Twitter, instagram you have to censor your stuff.

Same with art. Twitter for everything!

6 hours ago, Littleronin said:

I can't believe it has already been a week since Biden took office. 

For me the days since inauguration have felt like a week.

On the 20th:

Layoff at work (I was not impacted luckily)

Had in interview just in case I was

Got appendicitis

Thursday:

spent all day in drs offices and the er then surgery

now in post op awake since I forgot to turn off the alarm on my phone

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Social media is fine. Before social media, fake news was shared in chain emails; Snopes was combating that disinformation at the time instead of fake memes on FB/Twitter.

Unregulated social media is decidedly not fine. Fake news and bullshit spread on twitter at a dramatically faster rate than chain emails ever did. Women get harassed on social media to a much larger degree on social media than they do and did over email. The list goes on and on.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

It’s by far the most important social media platform. Facebook Instagram and TikTok could go tomorrow and literally nothing would be lost. Twitter is different. That does not mean they haven’t fucked up in many ways, though, and at least they have taken steps to correct it.

Facebook has 700 million more users than Twitter, it’s decidedly the most important social media platform. The way you and I use twitter to consume news makes it much better for that purpose, but the way most people interact with Facebook make it the most relevant platform in terms of the influence of stuff like fake news.

All social media platforms are basically a pandora's box. There is no closing them. That said, anti-vaxers were just a fringe thing until the idea spread among groups of "naturalist" pregnant women on facebook, and now it's an incredibly destructive force. Qanon may have started on 4chan, but YouTube probably helped the spread the most by recommending videos that go in a conspiracy rabbit hole. One minute you're watching a video debunking the moon landing myth, then 5 videos later you're watching a video on how the world is dominated by lizard pedophiles.

I'm not sure what could be done about it. I guess you could enforce a rule that social media platforms cannot "recommend" content to people via an algorithm. But, the vast majority of internet content creators I follow were suggested to me via said algorithms, so that would suck.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm not sure what could be done about it. I guess you could enforce a rule that social media platforms cannot "recommend" content to people via an algorithm. But, the vast majority of internet content creators I follow were suggested to me via said algorithms, so that would suck.

You cannot post Nazi shit in Germany without being moderated. The platforms have the tools and ability to monitor their platforms, they just don’t unless they’re legally required to.

Yeah I don’t see how anyone can imagine a world in which unregulated social media is “fine.”  This is primarily a video game board, have we already forgotten the nonsense chuds have done in the past couple years?  Did we already forget when a bunch of whiny assholes got so butt hurt over the amount of skin in a fire emblem game that they actively dug through the credits to find, harass, and destroy the career of a single woman who had literally nothing to do with that decision?  How does that coordinated effort happen without the aid of social media?  

Assholery is like any other thing in life, people engage with it when it’s easy, convenient, and the consequences are minimal.  Social media is the perfect confluence of these things with the cherry on top of creating custom made echo chambers to reinforce the idea that actually you are completely right in doing this and here are hundred to thousands of other people who will support you.  

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Twitter is useless... it could disappear tomorrow and the world wouldn't miss it at all. At least facebook let's you keep in touch with older family memebrs.

Facebook is far more responsible for lies and right wing indoctrination than Twitter, by a mile. 

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do you know how much harm can be done by people getting the wrong information quickly? A LOT. Twitter's very format and the fact that they couldn't be bothered to police their platform has led to untold social harm since it became popular. Just the amount of bad info that they let Trump's account spew for YEARS until two weeks ago should be testament to that and he's just ONE USER. We survived for decades not getting "news" at lightning speed so that alone isn't enough to justify Twitter's utility to me. MOST Social media platforms suck, but Twitter with it's 147 character format serves VERY little purpose... again, whatever floats your boat. If you find it useful, cool... but I really don't see how anyone can see how this platform has handled it's reach and influence and defend it :shrug:

Nobody is defending twitter (at least I hope not), but it is far less dangerous than facebook, as i said above.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

For me the days since inauguration have felt like a week.

On the 20th:

Layoff at work (I was not impacted luckily)

Had in interview just in case I was

Got appendicitis

Thursday:

spent all day in drs offices and the er then surgery

now in post op awake since I forgot to turn off the alarm on my phone

Did you get ice cream? I hope everything is going ok after the surgery.

I think people tend to forget social media also united groups like BLM and #metoo, helped get the word out on all kinds of governmental and private sector nonsense that was hard to find and disseminate in the past, etc.

Social media has allowed the extreme sides of both good and bad to come out. We know more now about our politicians, athletes, and the elite than we ever have before. We now know for a fact we're getting fucked by the 1% and that most powerful people are just idiots failing upward.

That doesn't mean social media shouldn't haver controls. It should. I loathe a lot of social media. But it's also done a shit ton of good, it's just hard to see when Trump has led the charge for 4 years. Watch it be used much better under Biden. All those times we saw stories of Karen's, or the police, or minorities catching racism on camera, etc. Sure, the phones allowed it to be captured, but social media allowed it to be disseminated so we could all see it with our own eyes right away.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think people tend to forget social media also united groups like BLM and #metoo, helped get the word out on all kinds of governmental and private sector nonsense that was hard to find and disseminate in the past, etc.

Social media has allowed the extreme sides of both good and bad to come out. We know more now about our politicians, athletes, and the elite than we ever have before. We now know for a fact we're getting fucked by the 1% and that most powerful people are just idiots failing upward.

That doesn't mean social media shouldn't haver controls. It should. I loathe a lot of social media. But it's also done a shit ton of good, it's just hard to see when Trump has led the charge for 4 years. Watch it be used much better under Biden. All those times we saw stories of Karen's, or the police, or minorities catching racism on camera, etc. Sure, the phones allowed it to be captured, but social media allowed it to be disseminated so we could all see it with our own eyes right away.

Dude... we knew all of that BEFORE social media. One could make the argument that despite all of this "information" at our fingertips, we're collectively dumber than we ever have been in ar any other point in our history as a society. I mean, social media didn't exist and society still somehow managed to progress without it. Slavery was abolished, women got the right to vote, homosexual rights were advanced... what Twitter does, and other social media sites, but Twitter especially, is give people a false sense of activism with a fucking retweet rather than going out and actually DOING something. 

Again,  I'm not saying these platform are good for nothing, im saying that at this point, the negative impact they've had on society far outweighs any benefit. After the last five years we've had im shocked to see so many people saying otherwise... but whatever.  

These tech companies have a LOT of blood on their hands and the only reason they're attempting to act responsibly now is that they know the jig is up. They'd better at least give the appearance of self regulation or someone is going to do it for them. It's gotten way too bad out there and they know that they are a large part of the problem. 

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude... we knew all of that BEFORE social media. One could make the argument that despite all of this "information" at our fingertips, we're collectively dumber than we ever have been in ar any other point in our history as a society. I mean, social media didn't exist and society still somehow managed to progress without it. Slavery was abolished, women got the right to vote, homosexual rights were advanced... what Twitter does, and other social media sites, but Twitter especially, is give people a false sense of activism with a fucking retweet rather than going out and actually DOING something. 

Again,  I'm not saying these platform are good for nothing, im saying that at this point, the negative impact they've had on society far outweighs any benefit. After the last five years we've had im shocked to see so many people saying otherwise... but whatever.  

These tech companies have a LOT of blood on their hands and the only reason they're attempting to act responsibly now is that they know the jig is up. They'd better at least give the appearance of self regulation or someone is going to do it for them. It's gotten way too bad out there and they know that they are a large part of the problem. 

No, we did not "all know" before social media or metoo and BLM wouldn't have affected the world as much as they have. That's due to social media. I still have issues with social media but your take is extremely reductive. You're just focusing on the negative. I agree with all the negatives you bring up, but social media has also had a positive worldwide impact too.