Joe Biden's Inauguration

I want to believe that McConnell's further obstructions will convince the necessary folks to get rid of the filibuster, but I won't hold my breath.

There's nothing about his time as majority leader that indicates he's willing to work with the Dems or compromise on basically anything that matters. I don't know what else he could possibly do to demonstrate the necessity of ending the filibuster.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

I want to believe that McConnell's further obstructions will convince the necessary folks to get rid of the filibuster, but I won't hold my breath.

There's nothing about his time as majority leader that indicates he's willing to work with the Dems or compromise on basically anything that matters. I don't know what else he could possibly do to demonstrate the necessity of ending the filibuster.

The last time he was minority leader he literally filibustered his own bill when the Democrats surprised him by supporting it 

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

As in successfully? I don't think it's ever happened, but not positive.

Pretty sure it happened to Pierce. It would have happened to Buchanan but he saw the writing on the wall.

It may have happened to Fillmore, too, I'd have to check.

Not a coincidence, they were the 3 presidents before Lincoln.

John Tyler is another one that I can't remember if he lost a primary or if he just bowed out at the last second. Or maybe he switched parties. I can't remember.

edit: Yes, Pierce was primaried by the Democrats. I can't find whether Buchanan got primaried or just didn't run. Fillmore technically did try to run but dropped out really early. John Tyler did switch parties, so that's a different discussion.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Twitter is useless... it could disappear tomorrow and the world wouldn't miss it at all. At least facebook let's you keep in touch with older family memebrs.

I don’t see how you could possibly think that way. It has completely changed the speed at which news is broken to people.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Often innacurate and unverifed news... sure.

That would be the fault of news reporting agencies, not Twitter.

Early in quarantine. I heard a ton of cops and paramedics rushing to an area of my town. I had no idea what was happening and was honestly worried. Within minutes on Twitter, I had photos of what had actually happened (a fire taking down two restaurants by the train station).

When the NYC pressure cooker bombing happened and I was one block away, I had news on Twitter WAY before it was on any TV station.

It’s by far the most important social media platform by a wide margin.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The net negatives of Twitter FAR outweigh any positives.

that’s true but it doesn’t matter to me. facebook is completely useless besides what you said, keeping in touch with relatives (and i guess it’s useful for people who sell on their marketplace thing). i can keep up with everything i care about on twitter without having to deal with facebook. news, sports, movies, my friends, etc. only thing it’s missing is grandma which is ok with me. 

Just now, Joe said:

That would be the fault of news reporting agencies, not Twitter.

Early in quarantine. I heard a ton of cops and paramedics rushing ton an area of my town. I had no idea what was happening and was honestly worried. Within minutes on Twitter, I had photos of what had actually happened (a fire taking down two restaurants by the train station).

When the NYC pressure cooker bombing happened and I was one block away, I had news on Twitter WAY before it was on any TV station.

It’s by far the most important social media platform by a wide margin.

You kidding? I'm not even talking about reputable News agencies... I'm talking about the barrage of bullshit that Twitter couldn't be bothered to police until this year, not to mention the spate of cyberbullying and harassment that they enabled. 

When the Boston Bombing happened, a friend of mine and I were GLUED to Twitter getting minute by minute updates... most of what we got turned out later to be complete and total bullshit. Sometimes faster isn't better. I THANK GOD that Twitter wasn't around when 911 happened or the 2003 East Coast Blackout... NY would have been utter chaos. Twitter has done a shit job of policing its platform and again, has been a net negative in my mind. That's just me though.

1 minute ago, johnny said:

that’s true but it doesn’t matter to me. facebook is completely useless besides what you said, keeping in touch with relatives (and i guess it’s useful for people who sell on their marketplace thing). i can keep up with everything i care about on twitter without having to deal with facebook. news, sports, movies, my friends, etc. only thing it’s missing is grandma which is ok with me. 

I keep up with everything I care about online WITHOUT using Twitter... I have an account but I don't use it much at ALL. Not missing anything from Twitter in my life. It's a shit platform, really only useful for promiting shit or harassing folks. That's it.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You kidding? I'm not even talking about reputable News agencies... I'm talking about the barrage of bullshit that Twitter couldn't be bothered to police until this year, not to mention the spate of cyberbullying and harassment that they enabled. 

When the Boston Bombing happened, a friend of mine and I were GLUED to Twitter getting minute by minute updates... most of what we got turned out later to be complete and total bullshit. Sometimes faster isn't better. I THANK GOD that Twitter wasn't around when 911 happened or the 2003 East Coast Blackout... NY would have been utter chaos. Twitter has done a shit job of policing its platform and again, has been a net negative in my mind. That's just me though.

That’s a problem with every social media platform. At least Twitter serves a function. 

You have to know to take news from randos on Twitter with a grain of salt. But the point is those randos can deliver pictures before any news agency can and that’s important. Like I said about that fire in town earlier, I had pictures of the fire within minutes of the incident happening. Without Twitter, I would have been in the dark questioning if something crazy Covid related happened.

Similar to when we are all freaking out in the restaurant when the NYC bombing happened. Yes of course we had people mistakenly say it was ConEdison related and the like, but we got pictures of the actual bombing area before it was on TV.