What’s a reasonable age to move out of your parent’s house?

What’s a reasonable age to move out of your parent’s house?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What’s a reasonable age to move out of your parent’s house?

• 30+
    • Never. Stay living there until your parents die and the deed gets transferred over to your name.
    • Chris is a poopybum

I moved out at 20 and was fine. I had a friend who didn't move out until 31 years old. On one hand you would think this is pretty old. On the other hand, he had saved his money right all those years and paid for most of his house all at once when the day finally came. These days I wouldn't expect an 18-25 year old to just up and move out and be able to afford it without having a reliable partner or roommate(edit: depending on prices where you live). 

8 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

If you're a student I say you wait until you are done school and start establishing yourself. Not in school? GTFO loser. I moved out at 18.

What if you have no arms or legs?

15 minutes ago, Rachel said:

What if you have no arms or legs?

In all honesty, I feel for younger people (omg that makes me old). I wouldn't expect my daughter to move out right now if she wasn't in school. If she was 30, yeah she would have to go but I'd prefer her to live here for now, figure shit out and save $$$$.

Edit: to answer your question I would just throw them in the trash.

I never went to college. I stayed living with my father until I was 28, and then a man offered to take me. The man was poor and couldn’t purchase me (as is the proper custom), but my father was so tired of having me as a spinster dependent that he let me go for free. 

I think you should continue living with your parents if it's feasible. I moved out when I was 17, but moved back in with my dad a couple years later and stayed with him til I was like 24. The difference is we split bills.

Reasonably, in the current economy, I don't think it's realistic to expect a kid to be able to afford to move out before the age of 21, whether that's because they're in school or because they're getting paid shit. In any industry, it takes a couple years before you can work your way to the point of being self sustaining.

The first time I moved out I was around 19. Lived paycheck to paycheck and my life was going nowhere. Moved back with my parents so I could save money and once I started working at Hostess I was making double what I was making previously so I moved out again. Once Hostess filed for bankruptcy I again moved back in with my parents. Started working for Amazon and moved to Vegas for better opportunities to promote, which worked, then moved back to my parents for a short stint until my friends townhouse was complete. I'm 30 now, if my advice means anything I would stay home until you have a solid job/career if available.

43 minutes ago, Joe said:

I moved out pretty late, at around 27. But whatever, best to do it when you are ready.

The way I see it, it's better for everyone involved. Your parents could use the income boost when you start working, but you probably aren't making enough at 21 to be able to thrive on your own. So you pitch in whatever you can, your parents are glad for the help, and you have security. I wish there wasn't such a stigma about it. In most other countries, it's not expected for kids to move out as soon as they graduate high school.

Whatever age you become self sufficient?  I moved out and started living on my own at 17.  18 or 19 was basically a cultural cutoff when I was growing up.  Back then it was considered weird if you were still living with your parents at 20+.  Now I understand that line has moved quite a bit though due to economic and other factors.

• Like 1

The age people move out is highly dependent on the cost of living in the area.  Most of my neighbours are 15-20 years older than me -- and "most" have have at least one child in their 30s living with them.  With the cost of housing in Toronto, I am expecting that at least one of my kids will be living with me through their mid 20s (or later).