Twitter just permanently banned Trump.

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's time to regulate these social media companies and hold them to similar standards as broadcast companies. They are directly responsible for the misinformation and radicalization of MILLIONS of people around the world and clearly can't police themselves.

Not to mention definitely responsible for thousands of Americans getting sick and dying of covid.

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's time to regulate these social media companies and hold them to similar standards as broadcast companies. They are directly responsible for the misinformation and radicalization of MILLIONS of people around the world and clearly can't police themselves.

Yup. Regulate and break them up, they said they could regulate themselves, the very obviously can't. 

Google break up to 

• Search
  • Gmail/Productivity
  • Web Services
  • YouTube/Music
  • Home/Nest 
  • Whatever

Facebook break up to

• Facebook
  • Messenger
  • WhatsApp
  • Instagram

Amazon

• Shopping
  • Shipping
  • Web Services
  • Ring/Alexa
  • Video/Music Streaming

I would look at every player, Microsoft, Apple, Oracle too. Enough is enough. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do you regulate the big boys the same way you do smaller social media sites?  Would D1P be held to the same standard as Facebook?  

44 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I would rather not trust the State with that power either, so nationalization MUST have the end-goal of obliteration

Tech moves too fast. There will be a replacement service is months, likely not even domiciled within the US.

10 minutes ago, MarSolo said:
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Dammit, am I gonna have to remember how to build websites again in order to share awesome shit like that?

mr1sXHOtepX0ps5ug1aiP2u9nD-VXZtqmattLwjd

Time to brush up on your HTML skillz

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Yup. Regulate and break them up, they said they could regulate themselves, the very obviously can't. 

Google break up to 

• Search
  • Gmail/Productivity
  • Web Services
  • YouTube/Music
  • Home/Nest 
  • Whatever

Facebook break up to

• Facebook
  • Messenger
  • WhatsApp
  • Instagram

Amazon

• Shopping
  • Shipping
  • Web Services
  • Ring/Alexa
  • Video/Music Streaming

I would look at every player, Microsoft, Apple, Oracle too. Enough is enough. 

If you really want to split them up, the real split would be...

Google: Android/Services, AdSense, YouTube/Music

Amazon: AWS, Shopping, Shipping, Robotics, Basics

Facebook: Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp

That all said, a bunch of these probably don't come out clean for end users. If YouTube and AdSense were separate companies, someone is going to get the bill for the extra layer and that'll likely be creators. Google is a bit odd here because they pretty much funnel everything through AdSense for monetization. Services like Gmail and Search likely won't survive as is without boosted revenue from AdSense being internal. Android could likely survive on its own from its cut a Play Store revenue.

Facebook without Instagram and WhatsApp is still a mess of a company and its ad platform couldn't survive without being an internal resource. What makes Facebook suck is Facebook and being controlled by one humanoid thing. Facebook should never have been allowed to acquire WhatsApp and Instagram.

Amazon's problems are also tricky. That split would likely rise prices on Amazon, but I don't think that's a real bad thing. They're ubiquitous enough that is almost impossible to compete with them. I think I've mentioned it around here before, but the best bet for Amazon is to prohibit then from knocking off their third party sellers. That your can put up a pair of shoes for sale and then have Amazon see how popular they are and provide they're own knockoff version that comes up at the top of the search results is egregious and gross. Also, yes, this is a thing Amazon does ALL THE TIME. Never buy anything Amazon brand.

5ddc0c56fd9db2208043ad32?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

In an open letter, Allbirds cofounder Joey Zwillinger slammed Amazon for not making shoes with the same sustainability practices as Allbirds.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's basically invisible on the black theme but it'd look like shit to just put it in a white rectangle. Any ideas? @Nokra? 

As so often is the case in life: When you're given a hard problem, sometimes the best thing to do is to stroke it!

s8EmOHF.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nokra said:

As so often is the case in life: When you're given a hard problem, sometimes the best thing to do is to stroke it!

s8EmOHF.png

I dig it but now it looks like pixelated shit when I reduce the height to 100 px. :( Could I bug you to resize it to 100 px height too?