~*The Capitol Hill Beer Belly Putsch Official Thread*~

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Given Biden's pretty good approval rating so far, his raft of executive orders, and the promise of the $1.9 trillion Covid relief bill passing by the end of the month, I think they are getting things done that are helping people. It's only been 3 weeks! :p 

That being said, I do not believe Trump will run in 2024. Apparently he's allegedly enjoying retirement.

We need far more, like increased ttaxes for the top 20%. And they backed down on 15$/hour? Or did they reverse that again? 

I absolutely also think Biden has done a lot, I'd rather just see congress working on legislation to improve lives than another meaningless impeachment (meaningless because the GOP will aquit and suffer absolutely no consequences).

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Given Biden's pretty good approval rating so far, his raft of executive orders, and the promise of the $1.9 trillion Covid relief bill passing by the end of the month, I think they are getting things done that are helping people. It's only been 3 weeks! :p 

That being said, I do not believe Trump will run in 2024. Apparently he's allegedly enjoying retirement.

Well it's been nearly a month and he still hasn't faced any real legal jeopardy so why wouldn't he be enjoying himself? He clearly hated the job and only wanted to keep it for legal immunity.

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

We need far more, like increased ttaxes for the top 20%. And they backed down on 15$/hour? Or did they reverse that again? 

I absolutely also think Biden has done a lot, I'd rather just see congress working on legislation to improve lives than another meaningless impeachment (meaningless because the GOP will aquit and suffer absolutely no consequences).

I mean, multiple things are happening at once, impeachment trial just being one of them (which ends today or tomorrow, I believe). Some things like raising taxes on the 1% will take time. $15 minimum wage is something Bernie as head of the budget committee is going to work hard to make happen - whether it's part of the Covid relief bill or something else down the road is up in the air though. I agree, Dems will need to get a lot done to keep their side galvanized - I think what people are saying in this thread is that's happening, over time. Only been 3 weeks, we got time. :)

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Well it's been nearly a month and he still hasn't faced any real legal jeopardy so why wouldn't he be enjoying himself? He clearly hated the job and only wanted to keep it for legal immunity.

Yep, exactly. He's basically said he enjoys not having to make decisions, etc. He might hate how the world is slowly moving on from him, but he doesn't want that level (or any level) of responsibility ever again.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, sure it is, that's why many in this thread agreed with me. Because it's clearly so much bullshit. Given you haven't explained how it's bullshit but I've explained in steps how what I suggest may help, I'd argue you're just being a contrarian asshole. Given this is off-topic and you've had two chances to respond with something intelligent and substantive and haven't yet, let's let sleeping dogs lie and let this conversation die. 

The time to let this conversation die was before you typed up this reply. But you aren't capable of letting conversations die, are you? And I have fun watching you smash your face on the keyboard repeatedly like what your saying is really important.

You managed to dupe some folks into thinking you're just about "self improvement" but I can see right through it. Everything you said sounds like an infomercial for a pick-up artist course. "Turn yourself into exactly what women want!" Gag.

It's a gimmick. There's nothing authentic about it. If one's goal is to turn themselves into a simp or male prostitute, then they should follow your advice. If your goal is truly self-improvement, do it for yourself, and only for yourself. Don't do it to score, with self-improvement as a "bonus" as I believe you put it.

Fuck that fake ass shit.

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

The time to let this conversation die was before yoy typed up this reply. You aren't capable of letting conversations die, are you? And I have fun watching you smash your face on the keyboard repeatedly like what your saying is really important.

You managed to dupe some folks into thinking you're just about "self improvement" but I can see right through it. Everything you said sounds like an infomercial for a pick-up artist course. "Turn yourself into exactly what women want!" Gag.

It's a gimmick. There's nothing authentic about it. If one's goal is to turn themselves into a simp or male prostitute, then they should follow your advice. If your goal is truly self-improvement, do it for yourself, and only for yourself. Don't do it to score, with self-improvement as a "bonus" as I believe you put it.

Fuck that fake ass shit.

You clearly missed the part that I said in my first or second post on this topic where I said that you are also improving yourself, so it's a net gain for everyone. Obviously, the conversation started by talking about being a man whore/fuck boi and how to succeed on that level, so my response was within that context, but of course I agree with you that improvements should be made for oneself, but if it's also in the pursuit of something else, than great, killing two birds with one stone. Your conclusions about my posts are simply reductive, missing the context of how the conversation started in this thread. Obviously, what you choose to change about yourself should be for yourself, but it can still also be, at the same time, a desire for the things you want, whether that be women or something else. Don't be ridiculous. I'm sure everyone else who agreed with me in this thread already assumed the obvious point you're making, because we all already know what you say needs to be the case. Again, don't be dense.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

You clearly missed the part that I said in my first or second post on this topic where I said that you are also improving yourself, so it's a net gain for everyone. Obviously, the conversation started by talking about being a man whore/fuck boi and how to succeed on that level, so my response was within that context, but of course I agree with you that improvements should be made for oneself, but if it's also in the pursuit of something else, than great, killing two birds with one stone. Your conclusions about my posts are simply reductive, missing the context of how the conversation started in this thread. Obviously, what you choose to change about yourself should be for yourself, but it can still also be, at the same time, a desire for the things you want, whether that be women or something else. Don't be ridiculous. I'm sure everyone else who agreed with me in this thread already assumed the obvious point you're making, because we all already know what you say needs to be the case. Again, don't be dense.

This sounds like dating advice from a pick-up artist lol

7 minutes ago, Reputator said:

The time to let this conversation die was before you typed up this reply. But you aren't capable of letting conversations die, are you? And I have fun watching you smash your face on the keyboard repeatedly like what your saying is really important.

Fuck that fake ass shit.

Pretty sure you're the one gone off the rails. All he's saying is people can work on changing themselves. It happens all the time, the world would be terrible if it didn't.

48 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, multiple things are happening at once, impeachment trial just being one of them (which ends today or tomorrow, I believe). Some things like raising taxes on the 1% will take time. $15 minimum wage is something Bernie as head of the budget committee is going to work hard to make happen - whether it's part of the Covid relief bill or something else down the road is up in the air though. I agree, Dems will need to get a lot done to keep their side galvanized - I think what people are saying in this thread is that's happening, over time. Only been 3 weeks, we got time. :)

The federal minimum wage was established in 1938 during the depression. It was $0.25/hour. It was raised a few more times, in 1939, 1945, 1950, and 1956, and 1961. So roughly every 5 years. That pattern is fairly consistent. Starting in 1974 under Nixon, the minimum wage actually increased every year UNTIL... (guess who...) Ronald Fucking Reagan. The federal minimum wage did not increase once during Reagan's presidency. It would get raised two more times during Bush Sr.'s presidency, 2 more times during Clinton's, 2 times under Bush Jr., and only once during Obama's presidency.

The federal minimum wage has not increased since 2009.

Since that time, estimates are that cost of living has increased by something like 25% (i.e. something that cost $100 in 2009 would cost $125 now)

I don't understand the argument of not increasing it. I understand there are people who want to abolish it entirely because hurr durr free marketz, but if you're going to have one, it needs to keep up with cost of living. And it's important to factor in how much of an impact it has on quality of life, because it makes employers actually have to compete for workers (come work for ME and I'll pay you AN EXTRA DOLLAR).

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

This sounds like dating advice from a pick-up artist lol

It's not meant to - as I explained numerous times, you should change because you want to, and make it genuine. I only explained what I have found women like, which was the original point. If it sounds like that, it's only because of the context with which we were discussing things - picking up women. That doesn't mean my advice solely applies within that sphere. I'd give the same advice regardless of context. Say someone said they struggle with making themselves heard at work meetings, I'd still say: "make changes to be more confident and charismatic in those meetings, in these ways, etc."

Am I suddenly sounding like a pick-up artist to be more heard at work? No. We were literally originally talking about how to be a man whore/fuck boi, so yeah, it may come off that way, but the advice is universal. I did it to change myself when I was younger and it wasn't to get women, it just worked out that way.

9 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Honestly, if Goodman hadn’t saved Romney and Romney was beaten to death, I think they’d get MAYBE ten Republicans to convict.

Collins wouldn’t but she’d be deeply disturbed. 

They staked out their position a few weeks back.  The rioters were all bad, but them sacking the Capitol had little to do with Trump or his speech, plus Maxine Waters said people should protest Trump cabinet officials so you know, both sides.

8 hours ago, Reputator said:

Everything Dems do will 'galvanize' the right. Fix Obamacare? Galvanized. Raise minimum wage? Galvanized. Say something scientific? Galvanized.

Who fucking cares at this point.

This.... Tan suits, spicy mustard, Fox News and the right are going to hit Dems no matter what they do. It you're going to take a hit, make it worth it, do something big and good.

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As all existence is deterministic, you will become that which you were always going to be so in that sense there is no such thing as "changing" oneself.

Exactly. You're not "faking" anything when you decide to be a certain way. I mean, that's inherently incongruous. 

It's like the line in Austin Powers, "whoever you are, you're there!" Deciding who you are and what you like about yourself quite literally turns you into that person (or, more literally, you simply become the person you were always going to become).