~*The Capitol Hill Beer Belly Putsch Official Thread*~

31 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I think this is probably our best hope for the short term--the brands determine that a fascist takeover is too disruptive to business

I'm sure they also withdrew donations from Republicans who support Trump after he tweeted in early April "LIBERATE MICHIGAN!" and then two weeks later armed insurrectionists stormed and occupied the Michigan state capitol building, around the same time it was announced six white nationalists plotted to kidnap and murder the Democratic Governor of Michigan.

No? No they didn't? Ah well, nevertheless!

For all those who said that this insurection "Isn't us".

210110065556-exp-gps-web-extra-0110-fone
WWW.CNN.COM

Preeminent historian Eric Foner tells Fareed about moments in America's history that serve as antecedents to the storming of the U.S. Capitol.

This has happened before... and WORSE. Black Americans had more political power after the Civil War. Until armed White folks in the South took it back.

• Thanks 3

The stupidest part of "let's move on for unity lest we piss them off into doing something dangerous" is, what are they going to do? What they're already doing? 

It's amazing how even directly having their necks on the lines isn't convincing them to rush something through. 

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

The stupidest part of "let's move on for unity lest we piss them off into doing something dangerous" is, what are they going to do? What they're already doing? 

It's amazing how even directly having their necks on the lines isn't convincing them to rush something through. 

I think the calculation is that they think Republicans will drag it out and use it to obscure and slow down Biden’s execution of his ‘agenda’ in the crucial ‘first 100 days’ of his term and then swing voters will punish them for spending more energy impeaching a president who will no longer be president by the time the trial is done than on legislating on issues like healthcare, aid to deal with the pandemic, etc.

I actually doubt they care all that much about further Trumpist retaliation/violence/etc.  You could argue the latter is in fact politically helpful to them, and wouldn’t mind more ‘incidents’ that make Republicans look bad.

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

WWW.CNN.COM

Preeminent historian Eric Foner tells Fareed about moments in America's history that serve as antecedents to the storming of the U.S. Capitol.

This has happened before... and WORSE. Black Americans had more political power after the Civil War. Until armed White folks in the South took it back.

I was embarrassingly ignorant of the extent to which this was true until I started reading Sundown Towns.

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

The same people calling to overthrow the election are asking for unity. Fuck them. Stamp them out. 

12 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I think the calculation is that they think Republicans will drag it out and use it to obscure and slow down Biden’s execution of his ‘agenda’ in the crucial ‘first 100 days’ of his term and then swing voters will punish them for spending more energy impeaching a president who will no longer be president by the time the trial is done than on legislating on issues like healthcare, aid to deal with the pandemic, etc.

I actually doubt they care all that much about further Trumpist retaliation/violence/etc.  You could argue the latter is in fact politically helpful to them, and wouldn’t mind more ‘incidents’ that make Republicans look bad.

They can do both. It doesn't require the entire Senate until the final vote. 

6 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I just don't see why Republicans aren't jumping on the chance to be rid of him.

Sure, it will hurt them in the short and medium term, but the alternative is allowing the Trump infection to linger on and control the party literally until he dies.

Even everything else aside it's crazy how he's suffering almost none of the stigma that Romney and McCain did for being losers. Bush won two elections and left office with more of a loser stink on him than Trump seems to be getting.

A week after he nearly single handedly lost them the Senate and complete control of the government.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Sure, it will hurt them in the short and medium term, but the alternative is allowing the Trump infection to linger on and control the party literally until he dies.

Even everything else aside it's crazy how he's suffering almost none of the stigma that Romney and McCain did for being losers. Bush won two elections and left office with more of a loser stink on him than Trump seems to be getting.

A week after he nearly single handedly lost them the Senate and complete control of the government.

Like Trump, they don't give a shit about the country or the party. They only care about themselves.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

They think they can keep his voters, but don't realize they're irrational morons who will just put them on a list to be executed for not crowning Trump emperor, who will also spend the next 4 years destroying their party.  The GOP is in for a really bad future.

Just now, Amazatron said:

Like Trump, they don't give a shit about the country or the party. They only care about themselves.

That's the thing, everything I said is in the context of doing the right thing for purely selfish, political reasons.

It is in their interest to ditch him.

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

They think they can keep his voters, but don't realize they're irrational morons who will just put them on a list to be executed for not crowning Trump emperor, who will also spend the next 4 years destroying their party.  The GOP is in for a really bad future.

I guess maybe the thinking is in down ballot races they can still ride the tiger and his base will get them victories 

But man, they are gift wrapping the 2024 presidential election for him.

Just now, Chairslinger said:

That's the thing, everything I said is in the context of doing the right thing for purely selfish, political reasons.

It is in their interest to ditch him.

I guess maybe the thinking is in down ballot races they can still ride the tiger and his base will get them victories 

But man, they are gift wrapping the 2024 presidential election for him.

Its not a good plan, but its a party devoid of any intellectual debate.

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its not a good plan, but its a party devoid of any intellectual debate.

The most pathetic thing is guys like Hawley and Cruz desperately debasing themselves to go along with this shit, hoping for the Trump baton in 2024.

And all it will take is a whim and literally one conversation where Ivanka sits on daddy's lap and does the spoiled daughter routine, "But daaaaad, I wanna be the president." And that's all it will take to make her the GOP nominee :lol:

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

deleted

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

WWW.CNN.COM

Eric Foner has forgotten more about American history than most of us will ever know. He's one of those "if he speaks, you shut up" kind of people.