~*The Capitol Hill Beer Belly Putsch Official Thread*~

On 11/18/2021 at 2:25 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah. I mean, I don't know if Trump will necessarily run, but I don't think the party itself needs him to anymore. It's a bunch of jackasses like Matt Gaetz, Ron DeSantis, Paul Gosar, and a bunch of other chucklefucks that are already trying to out-Trump each other, and every single one of them will also say they won the election regardless of the results.

Most of those fools are useful idiots who have none of their own followers. They are supported for being followers of Trump, but nobody really likes them. Gaetz has the most unlikeable face I've seen in years, Gosar is MTG levels of smart, im not worried about these idiots.

But DeSantis, thats another story. Not only can he win if Trump doesn't run., but he's far smarter than Donnie.

original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

January 6 was practice. Donald Trump’s GOP is much better positioned to subvert the next election.

Technically, the next attempt to overthrow a national election may not qualify as a coup. It will rely on subversion more than violence, although each will have its place. If the plot succeeds, the ballots cast by American voters will not decide the presidency in 2024. Thousands of votes will be thrown away, or millions, to produce the required effect. The winner will be declared the loser. The loser will be certified president-elect.

The prospect of this democratic collapse is not remote. People with the motive to make it happen are manufacturing the means. Given the opportunity, they will act. They are acting already.

Who or what will safeguard our constitutional order is not apparent today. It is not even apparent who will try. Democrats, big and small D, are not behaving as if they believe the threat is real. Some of them, including President Joe Biden, have taken passing rhetorical notice, but their attention wanders. They are making a grievous mistake.

original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

To head off the next insurrection, we’ll need to practice envisioning the worst.

If the end comes, it will come through democracy itself. Here’s one way I imagine it could happen: In 2024, disputed election results in several states lead to tangled proceedings in courtrooms and legislatures. The Republican Party’s long campaign of undermining faith in elections leaves voters on both sides deeply skeptical of any outcome they don’t like. When the next president is finally chosen by the Supreme Court or Congress, half the country explodes in rage. Protests soon turn violent, and the crowds are met with lethal force by the state, while instigators firebomb government buildings. Neighborhoods organize self-defense groups, and law-enforcement officers take sides or go home. Predominantly red or blue counties turn on political minorities. A family with a Biden-Harris sign has to abandon home on a rural road and flee to the nearest town. A blue militia sacks Trump National Golf Club Bedminster; a red militia storms Oberlin College. The new president takes power in a state of siege.

16 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

To head off the next insurrection, we’ll need to practice envisioning the worst.

The Serbs shall go to war against the Croats and the Slovenes…erm I mean it’ll be Red America vs Blue America, courtesy of fires stoked by Milosev—wait I mean the Trumpists/alt-righties.

We might get a dry run in Brazil.  Bolsonaro has pre-emptively labeled any result other than his re-election as rigged, and the guy’s literally on record saying Brazil was better off under the dictatorship.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

:guillotine:

106975493-1636989156680-gettyimages-1353
WWW.CNBC.COM

Bannon was indicted after the House held him in contempt for refusing to comply with a subpoena from the investigation of the pro-Trump Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Steve Bannon looks like if liver spots had a spokesperson.

He's always rocking that hospice care, last few days of life facial hair look.

30 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Do most Americans care enough to go to war with itself? Maybe the most extremes will, but I ain't fighting anything. *sips pour over coffee*

true, but this attitude allowed the Bolsheviks to initially seize power so be wary*

*there are so many differences that won't allow this exact scenario here but the larger point remains

It either doesn't happen or it goes apocalyptic quick.  Its hard to imagine a war where you can't actually draw a line of which side, is which, like any red state has a city thats blue, and blue states have rural reds, and then the military isn't like all the people from this state are here and that state there, they're all intermingled all over the fucking place.

6 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

It either doesn't happen or it goes apocalyptic quick.  Its hard to imagine a war where you can't actually draw a line of which side, is which, like any red state has a city thats blue, and blue states have rural reds, and then the military isn't like all the people from this state are here and that state there, they're all intermingled all over the fucking place.

Every city in America is blue minus a small handful (Anchorage, Phoenix/Mesa, Orange County, Oklahoma City, Virginia Beach... You know the ones). Even in red states, cities like Houston and New Orleans are among the bluest in the country

16 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

VA Beach is an over glorified suburb change my mind

I mean, you're not wrong. it's just a random massive conglomeration of suburban hellscape that stretches for miles and miles and miles. And almost 2 million people decide to live in the 7 cities for some reason.

Phoenix is the same way... so is Dallas/Fort Worth... so is Orange County... I'm noticing a pattern.

It's pretty self explanatory to me. If you live in a city, you're probably more inclined toward "communal" freedom. It's about "us" vs. "me." If you live in a suburban or rural environment, it's about individual freedom. MAH guns, MAH cars, MAH rights, fuck everyone else.

The thing is, I don't think that that is a wrong way to live necessarily. It's a personal choice. 

I just also think we should start introducing more targeted infrastructure benefits. People that live in suburban and rural areas are mostly the ones who vote down public infrastructure bills and whatnot because it doesn't directly benefit them. So perhaps we could try being like "hey, we're introducing a new [blank] bill that produces [whatever]. If you live in [rural/suburban counties], good news! you don't have to pay for it. You also don't get it, either."

For example, free public transportation in cities is something I'm all for, but you might introduce it by having a free pass that you have to apply for that's only available for residents who actually live in the city. I don't know, something like that. I'm just spitballing.

43 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean, you're not wrong. it's just a random massive conglomeration of suburban hellscape that stretches for miles and miles and miles. And almost 2 million people decide to live in the 7 cities for some reason.

Phoenix is the same way... so is Dallas/Fort Worth... so is Orange County... I'm noticing a pattern.

Dallas is a city, it's just dummies who live in Plano or Frisco but think it's Dallas that think this. Orange County is a suburb of LA.

5 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Dallas is a city, it's just dummies who live in Plano or Frisco but think it's Dallas that think this. Orange County is a suburb of LA.

Orange County is really it's own thing. They are in the LA media market, but they aren't in LA County at all. 

6 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Outside of like downtown and Santa Monica, LA is pretty much one giant suburb. You can drive 2 hours straight from San Bernardino to LAX and it's nothing but single family homes and small office buildings as far as the eye can see. It's not even clear to an outsider where LA, Orange County, IE, and the beginnings of what will eventually become San Diego start/end. A sea of suburbs.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Right now it's not a personal choice, it's forced by NIMBY zoning and subsidized via amongst other things heavily subsidized driving.

True, depending on where you live. In Portland, rent is not siginificantly cheaper in the suburbs unless you go waaaaay far out, so it's like if you live out there, it's because you choose to. NIMBY zoning is absolutely a thing, though. Don't get me started on the urban growth boundary and the fuckery of liberal NIMBY governance ('we won't allow development past this line, but the only development we'll allow inside the line is single family homes!' then 15 years later 'oh fuck, I guess we need to move the line and expand our freeways!')

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Outside of like downtown and Santa Monica, LA is pretty much one giant suburb. You can drive 2 hours straight from San Bernardino to LAX and it's nothing but single family homes and small office buildings as far as the eye can see. It's not even clear to an outsider where LA, Orange County, IE, and the beginnings of what will eventually become San Diego start/end. A sea of suburbs.

True, depending on where you live. In Portland, rent is not siginificantly cheaper in the suburbs unless you go waaaaay far out, so it's like if you live out there, it's because you choose to. NIMBY zoning is absolutely a thing, though. Don't get me started on the urban growth boundary and the fuckery of liberal NIMBY governance ('we won't allow development past this line, but the only development we'll allow inside the line is single family homes!' then 15 years later 'oh fuck, I guess we need to move the line and expand our freeways!')

I can see this as being true of LA/OC, but for San Diego County, once you get south of San Clemente and start driving through Pendleton that's a pretty clear indicator. 

4 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

I can see this as being true of LA/OC, but for San Diego County, once you get south of San Clemente and start driving through Pendleton that's a pretty clear indicator. 

That's true, there is like a 15 mile stretch of nothing between San Clemente and Pendleton. For some reason in my head I don't remember it being that long.