Raspberry Pie Emulation Problems...

I just put together my first ever Raspberry Pie / retro pie mini console... and honestly I'm not very impressed.

I'm getting stuttering, frame rate issues and screen tearing on SNES games and others making them not much fun to play. When I emulate them on my Mac on OpenEmu they all play smooth as butter... but on the Retro Pie it's a different story.

Specifically, when I play pretty much any NES or SNES game it feels like the game is moving like 5-10% faster than it should, it kinda flickers and feels like it's dropping frames or something. It's not smooth, it feels stuttery and jittery. There is also screen tearing all over. It's both kinda subtle and kinda not. If you know what you're looking at with these games, it stands out instantly. Others couldn't see what I was talking about, but they weren't used to games from this era, so they assumed it was normal. I can immediately see a difference.

Is this normal?

It's the kind of thing that might not even be noticed by some, but I notice the hell out of it, and in my mind it makes the games completely unplayable.

I was also expecting the whole experience to be a little more polished in general. So many screens of 4 point type... am I powering up a game console or hacking into the FBI? What the hell? The overall UI experience is pretty hacky and bad. And this thing is buggy as hell.

Is this normal? Everyone always praises Retro Pie's like they are the second coming... but my experience has been pretty different.

Am I being too picky here? I feel pretty disappointed by the whole experience so far.

This is the power supply I'm using. I would like to do more testing on it, but my kids are monopolizing our TVs. I don't remember it being weird at home (but I barely used it here), but when we took it out to our family's cabin this weekend it was performing like butt. Could it be the TV or the HDMI cable? (It's a newish 4k TCL TV bought like a year ago)

My main question I guess is... is this normal? I'm guessing no.

None of that sounds normal.  If anything on the Raspberry Pi I set up games appear to run slightly slower.

There are also a shit ton of configurations you can do to these games, choose different emulator cores, and apply different video processing effects (like CRT scan line emulation).  Now I set mine up years ago, and I remember the default configuration looking the best, and after I fiddled with it I could never get it back to the default look.