faux Retro Games Pickup (Modern re-creations of the old)

chakoo

I thought it might be a little fun to make a games pickup thread that is more focused on the modern take/reissues of the games of old. So think things like NES/SNES Classic, or new releases to retro systems. :)

So to kick things off, yesterday I got in the Limited Ed Aleste Collection in for Switch. The cool thing is this LE comes with a (working) GG Micro that contains the same games from the collection. This has to be my favorite LE in a long time, besides the game, the GG Micro and GG Big Window, it includes 2 great books. One on the history of Aleste and the other being about the development of GG Aleste 3 that was created for this collection. Only disappointing thing is this collection was crazy expensive (18,701 Yen after shipping).

Here is a fun picture of the game and the micro game gear next to my boxed GG Aleste 2 i've had for a number of years.

spacer.png

• chakoo changed the title to faux Retro Games Pickup (Modern re-creations of the old)

I recently bought the Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. I don't have any pictures because its currently at my parents house. Like 20 minutes after I opened it I remembered that the game came out on DS awhile back and there was no reason for me to open it. I could have just kept it closed and kept it as a collectors item... Oh well.

24 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I recently bought the Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. I don't have any pictures because its currently at my parents house. Like 20 minutes after I opened it I remembered that the game came out on DS awhile back and there was no reason for me to open it. I could have just kept it closed and kept it as a collectors item... Oh well.

Nice. I hope you take a picture in the future to post. :)

That's one of the better collectors editions I've seen in a long time.  I was tempted to get the PS4 standalone release, but it's a little too rich for my blood on Play Asia.  

I do love the Game Gear though.  I bought back a massive amount of the games I had for it as a kid this year.  

23 hours ago, vaxick said:

That's one of the better collectors editions I've seen in a long time.  I was tempted to get the PS4 standalone release, but it's a little too rich for my blood on Play Asia.  

I do love the Game Gear though.  I bought back a massive amount of the games I had for it as a kid this year.  

For anything like this it's best to keep tabs on amazon.jp first to get a reasonable price. They had the PS4 LE on launch day for sell with a small discount of 1,500Y below MSRP. 

OK, So I started going through all my things separating what I would consider a retro game. That includes modern remakes of a retro game series. So Vintage games are retro games but retro games are not always vintage games. I want to share what games I have picked up that are like PS4 games and Switch games and more but it is too much. I'm going to post at some point.

I picked up a Turbografx 16 mini this week from amazon.  It was about $90 for a like new used copy.  That's more than I would like to spend for one of these, but it didn't look like I was going to be able to get it for any cheaper.

5NZi6XU.jpg

Here is my collection of mini consoles so far.  I paid retail for the nintendo ones, and $20 for the ps1 mini.  Still waiting on a deal for a sega mini.

SbOghXs.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning to post this for a while now but I've been a bit slow. Back in january I got an asteroids 1/6th scale replica. The unit is from a series called Replicade built by NewWaveToys. They are fully functional 1/6th replicas of the original arcade cabinet made with real materials like wood/glass/vinyl. This unit was from limited batch from the original run made to look like an old arcade unit that was restored/overhauled (there was only 500 of these, and 3500 of the regular). 

spacer.png spacer.png

Here is a video review showing one running

I do have other systems in the line. I have the Centipede, Tempest & SF2 units. I don't have the dragon's lair unit. I do plan to buy the 1942 they will be putting out soon.

9 hours ago, vaxick said:

Those mini arcade cabs are so amazing looking.  If they ever happened to make a Mr. Do one, I'd be all over it.  

I can see a Mr Do happening in the future. Either from NewWaveToys or Numskull (who do the quarter arcade units that are 1/4th scale). Numskull is close to releasing an awesome 2 player bubble bobble soon. Replicade will be releasing 2 cabinets (a deco styled after 1942 and a dynamo styled after 1943) soon that will contain a bunch of the 1942 games (1942/1943/1941, possibly 19XX).

8 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I kinda want the Ninja Turtles arcade mini they have out. It's really pointless, since I have both TMNT arcade PCBs, but the cabs are cool looking, dammit.

Which one is that? Are you referring to the Arcade 1up machines that are pretty big? If so, if I could I would totally grab the pinball and NBA Jam units. :D 

8 hours ago, chakoo said:

I can see a Mr Do happening in the future. Either from NewWaveToys or Numskull (who do the quarter arcade units that are 1/4th scale). Numskull is close to releasing an awesome 2 player bubble bobble soon. Replicade will be releasing 2 cabinets (a deco styled after 1942 and a dynamo styled after 1943) soon that will contain a bunch of the 1942 games (1942/1943/1941, possibly 19XX).

That would be amazing, it's the first arcade game I fell in love with and played to death on the Colecovision.  

I was tempted by that Dragons Lair one, but as unique as that game may be for its time in history, it's just not something I really care to play.  

• 1 month later...

I got a new toy today :) Build quality is great and the screen is nice and clear, yet still a little disappointed they went with one so small. I understand they probably had to go with an off the shelf part to keep cost down but I almost would have prefered a slightly smaller unit to make the screen fill up the space. Hopefully because of the LRG sale there will be a bit more focus put into hacking the system, maybe someone will find a way to replace the screen with a larger one. With that said I'm still happy with my purchase. :) 

spacer.png

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, vaxick said:

@chakoo I heard a Zoo Keeper one is coming out.  How do you get notifications about pre-ordering them?  I'm potentially interesting in getting one of these things finally as I always had fun with that arcade game as a kid.

Follow them on Facebook. Zoo keeper is rumored to be coming from Quarter Arcade (along with tmnt, turtles in time, elevator action, and qix). My 1942 comes from replicade.

15 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Follow them on Facebook. Zoo keeper is rumored to be coming from Quarter Arcade (along with tmnt, turtles in time, elevator action, and qix). My 1942 comes from replicade.

Doh, did not realize there were multiple players in such a niche market category.  How does Quarter Arcade's quality compare to Replicade?

1 hour ago, vaxick said:

Doh, did not realize there were multiple players in such a niche market category.  How does Quarter Arcade's quality compare to Replicade?

Good, they have their own faults like they could source better screens (where 

Replicades have great screens but have inconsistent QC issues at the manufacturer in China. Quarter arcades are actually the easier of the two to purchase (replicades get single low unit production runs).

Also quarter arcades are 1/4th scale where replicades are 1/6th scale. For me the 1/6 scale works best ask desk toys.

• 1 month later...

spacer.png

So I bought another one of these. My local retro shop had some (bit pricey ($89 Canadian) but hey I was trading in some dupes I had and got a good trade value so it was only $40 Canadian (+tax) in the end.

Now one might question why, specially the unit with two SMT RPGs in japanese but luckily CFW was just recently released for the GG Micros so you can install your own games (up to 36 in total, in sets of 6). I did that already and installed english patched versions of SMT Last Bible, and also added GG Shinobi 1&2 and Streets of Rage 1&2 on it (so far). Sure the system as a whole is kind of iffy but with the CFW i'm loving this as a desk toy. :)

• 8 months later...

I forgot to post about this. I got it at the end of June but when posting about the next NWT pre-sale recently I remembered about this thread. It's worth showing off the kind of work/quality NewWaveToys puts into their products. Sadly this system is months late due to covid stalling production in china yet I'm ecstatic to have it and looking forward to the Missile Command unit that is currently going through it's production run for a release in the fall. Sadly I'm running out of space for all my mini arcade units, I've got 6 replicades (with 2 future units on pre-order), an astro city mini and an egret II mini. :nervous:

spacer.png spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

Another thing to add to the collection. When discussing the up and coming Genesis mini 2 on resetera, I lamented that I was disappointed I didn't buy the EU PC-Engine Mini when they were available. Well someone chimed to tell me that amazon.co.uk still had new units for sale. So I jumped and immediately bought one, all in it was only £85.57 after tax/shipping (Price has gone up since then but will probably drop again when people stop looking). <3

The reason I really wanted this model is because it's the same model of PC-Engine I own. Kind of crazy the size difference isn’t all that much, weight wise it's quite stark.

spacer.png spacer.png

Now for it to go into my faux retro console dungeon, lol (I'll play it this weekend, I'm actually using my Super NT a lot this week)

spacer.png

If you're wondering why the hell there are dvd drives there. They're actually arcade parts, 1 for my Namco System 256 and the other a CD drive for Namco System 10.