Loki Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Series premiers on June 9th)

• Pikachu changed the title to Loki Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Series premiers on June 11)
  • 1 month later...

Almost has a PG-13 Rick and Morty live action feel too it. Which I guess is what it is going for, since it is from one of the writers of Rick and Morty. Plus around the 2:05 mark, it looks like he is sitting beside Black Widow in conversation. So maybe she can live in the end, maybe Loki is who Hawkeye dropped and not her. Fooling the soul stone in the sacrifice as Loki could probably easily survive that drop. She might be a blip in the timeline that he must corrected

26 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But this is a different Loki with none of the character development from everything post-Avengers. Hopefully they can make this Loki compelling as well.

That's a good point, and it'll be disappointing if that fact slipped their minds. At this point he's still a villain (I do not buy that "he was under control of Thanos from the Mind Stone; I don't care if one of the writers or Kevin Feige confirmed it; if it's not brought up in the movies/shows then it's not canon as far as I'm concerned. That actually robs him of some of his character development). 

1 minute ago, Brick said:

That's a good point, and it'll be disappointing if that fact slipped their minds. At this point he's still a villain (I do not buy that "he was under control of Thanos from the Mind Stone; I don't care if one of the writers or Kevin Feige confirmed it; if it's not brought up in the movies/shows then it's not canon as far as I'm concerned. That actually robs him of some of his character development). 

Yeah I'm with you. I hadn't even heard of this theory that he was "mind controlled" before. That takes away a lot of Loki's character development and agency if that's true (which is lame). 

This Loki is the version we knew 2012 and before and this show needs to address that. Loki changed significantly due to Thor 2 and 3.

6 hours ago, Brick said:

I'm pretty sure they acknowledge this in the trailer when whoever says "You really believe in this Loki variant?". I think that implies that there are other Loki's out there in time that are more trustworthy than the one we got in this series.

I still haven't bothered with Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I'm in for this one. Tom just has a blast with the character and it's fun to watch him do his thing!

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

A second season? I still haven't watched WandaVision or TFatWS yet, but they haven't been renewed for more seasons, have they? WV at least is probably a one and done deal. 

If Loki is just his adventures bouncing around spacetime then his series could go on forever without necessarily coming in conflict with the rest of the MCU. I also like to imagine Marvel has the guts to make him a secret cameo in every movie from here on out.

Now I'm imagining something hilarious like a future Guardians movie where Starlord gets off this ridiculous shot only for an episode of Loki a year or two later showing that Loki had to redirect it to make it land.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ah ok... is that an animated thing? I know l know nothing about this.

Yeah. I've never really got into the animated shows, so I haven't paid much attention to this one, but apparently it is a spin-off/sequel to The Clone Wars. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The one episode a week schedule seems to be working for their high profile shows, but it makes sense for them to try different days out and see if it affects engagement numbers.

Also, I wonder if there is other content they're scheduling around. Other shows that release on Fridays or sports or something.

57 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The one episode a week schedule seems to be working for their high profile shows, but it makes sense for them to try different days out and see if it affects engagement numbers.

Also, I wonder if there is other content they're scheduling around. Other shows that release on Fridays or sports or something.

If I had to guess, its so they don't compete with themselves essentially, what with The Bad Batch releasing Friday's through July.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

i think they did this because I think they believe theatres will be opening up again and a huge portion of the movies open on Friday. So I guess they don’t want to eat into their own movie release profits. Wednesday is a treat for the week, before you head out for the big screens again. 

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

i think they did this because I think they believe theatres will be opening up again and a huge portion of the movies open on Friday. So I guess they don’t want to eat into their own movie release profits. Wednesday is a treat for the week, before you head out for the big screens again. 

Good shows used to be on wed or thurs and Sunday sometimes (simpsons). Makes sense. In normal times Friday’s would be competing with everything.  Drinks after work, movies, weekend plans.  Mid week is perfect when everyone’s tired from the work week and just wanna watch tv

• 4 weeks later...
  • Remarkableriots changed the title to Loki Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Series premiers on June 9th)
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s good.

Spoiler

Loki being D B Cooper as a prank because he lost a bet to Thor is exceptionally funny. Them also teasing some of that scene as a big deal in the trailers is also amusing in hindsight.

The MCU’s willingness to play with its own stakes is entertaining and admirable, I think. The shit that happened in Infinity War and Endgame being referred to as “the blip” in Far From Home was a hint at this, and Loki finding a desk drawer full of Infinity Stones (“some of the guys use them as paperweights” lul) is another. I suspect that the show / TVA won’t be as literal as how it’s presented here (seems unlikely they’ll just say, “yup everything’s preordained”) but… still.

Hiddleston is really good at playing Loki. Combine his chops with a well written episode and it’s very believable that 2012 Loki got to where he was in 45 minutes or so.

Lots os multiverse stuff here. Nexus references like from WandaVision, the tease of a multiversal war, etc. 

• Like 1

Yep I liked it.

I'm a little confused why Loki here is a minor nuissance, and not a real threat, but then they say Loki is also the big threat they're seeking. So they're not at all worried about what he's potentially capable of? Oh well, makes me curious more than anything.

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Yep I liked it.

Hide contents

I'm a little confused why Loki here is a minor nuissance, and not a real threat, but then they say Loki is also the big threat they're seeking. So they're not at all worried about what he's potentially capable of? Oh well, makes me curious more than anything.

Yeah.

Spoiler

Something isn’t quite what it seems with the TVA and having Loki meet another Loki is an obviously terrible idea, so… something’s up.

38 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Yep I liked it.

Hide contents

Spoiler

The judge seems to think it's a bad idea, so there's at least some push back.

I am glad they didn't wait a bunch of episodes to reveal Loki as the problem they're seeking.

I thought this episode did a good job of establishing that Loki is very much out of his element, but not entirely powerless even without his magic. Overall a fun episode and a good start.