Nvidia Black Lists Hardware Unboxed

SimpleG

26 minutes ago, NextGen said:

Sounds a lot like Intel with their "benchmarks don't matter" when Ryzen caught up in gaming. Nvidia is now basically doing the same thing because Radeon has essentially closed the gap in rasterization performance isn't a huge shock, in fact, it's borderline expected.

Want the focus on RT and DLSS so the 6xxx Radeons look like crap.

15 hours ago, Reputator said:

:lol:

Linus was ripping Nvidia last night. Even mentioned how the review for the 6900XT or was it their cyberpunk video had the 3xxx series using DLSS among the benchmarks. I don't understand what Nvidia wants. 

I guess they just want there videos to say Nvidia good go buy.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:41 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

Nvidia has great engineer’s, but truly awful management! 

Their tech has, mostly, worked great and better than the competition, save for, what, 2 or 3 stumbles?  They epitomize the evil side of capitalism.  Being better isn't good enough.  They engage in anti-competitive practices and spread misinformation--a decade ago they got caught paying shills to promote their products on websites and forums.  I really don't think they stopped that practice completely; they just got better at it.

And then they take all of the advantages they get from doing the above mentioned, and use that to get the highest possible margins out of their products.  Hence the price creep, especially of their halo products.

Their stockholders come first; not their customers.  And I fucking hate that with a passion.

This is so weird and unbelievably dumb on nVidia’s part.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Their tech has, mostly, worked great and better than the competition, save for, what, 2 or 3 stumbles? 

The GeForce 5x00/FX series was an absolute joke and only supported FP-HDR (a major new graphical feature at the time) at either 16-bit or 32-bit: 16-bit had no major performance cost but looked awful, 32-bit looked great but had a major performance impact... meanwhile ATi supported 24-bit which had very little impact on performance (similar amount to 16-bit) and looked indiscernible from 32-bit. nVidia tried to “save face” with their refresh which wound up just using their drivers to force 16-bit FP-HDR in games that called for 24 or 32-bit, making the cards appear to run better in benchmarks (compared to the pre-refresh) but look awful compared to it running on an ATi card. Oh, and the first iteration of the FX line had the loudest fans imaginable, sounding like a vacuum cleaner (no hyperbole here) because their engineers thought “gamers liked the sound of their video cards, kinda like car-guys and their car’s exhaust”... no, really. They didn’t redeem themselves fully until the 8x00 series (it started with the 6x00 and 7x00, but all eyes stayed towards ATi as the leader until the 8x00 series)

Then there was the GTX 4xx... jfc, iirc, those things ran so damn hot they could literally heat your home in the winter. There was also some type of memory bandwidth issue, I think? They fixed it with the GTX 5xx series (and the GTX 460 Ti, which ran on the 5xx series architecture (fermi?)).

Their third misstep I suppose could be the GeForce 4 MX series, which was basically a GeForce 2 on steroids and lacked vertex/pixel shaders, the biggest DX8/8.1 graphical improvements. Buuuuut... they sure made a lot of money on uneducated consumers with those. :/ 

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

This is so weird and unbelievably dumb on nVidia’s part.

The GeForce 5x00/FX series was an absolute joke and only supported FP-HDR (a major new graphical feature at the time) at either 16-bit or 32-bit: 16-bit had no major performance cost but looked awful, 32-bit looked great but had a major performance impact... meanwhile ATi supported 24-bit which had very little impact on performance (similar amount to 16-bit) and looked indiscernible from 32-bit. nVidia tried to “save face” with their refresh which wound up just using their drivers to force 16-bit FP-HDR in games that called for 24 or 32-bit, making the cards appear to run better in benchmarks (compared to the pre-refresh) but look awful compared to it running on an ATi card. Oh, and the first iteration of the FX line had the loudest fans imaginable, sounding like a vacuum cleaner (no hyperbole here) because their engineers thought “gamers liked the sound of their video cards, kinda like car-guys and their car’s exhaust”... no, really. They didn’t redeem themselves fully until the 8x00 series (it started with the 6x00 and 7x00, but all eyes stayed towards ATi as the leader until the 8x00 series)

Then there was the GTX 4xx... jfc, iirc, those things ran so damn hot they could literally heat your home in the winter. There was also some type of memory bandwidth issue, I think? They fixed it with the GTX 5xx series (and the GTX 460 Ti, which ran on the 5xx series architecture (fermi?)).

Their third misstep I suppose could be the GeForce 4 MX series, which was basically a GeForce 2 on steroids and lacked vertex/pixel shaders, the biggest DX8/8.1 graphical improvements. Buuuuut... they sure made a lot of money on uneducated consumers with those. :/ 

A minor hit they took was the GTX 970 3.5GB fiasco, and also the 600 and 700 series in general fell on its face over time as AMD's GCN architecture proved to perform (a lot) better in future games and driver updates.

• 1 month later...