The PS5 is the glitchiest piece of shit console I've ever owned and I feel like it's not being talked about enough.

Paperclyp

This thing hard crashes in game, somehow crashes itself in rest mode, I've had Demons Souls get stuck in this framey bullshit that looks like lag but isn't and the only way to fix it is to hard reboot, it's got all the weird "hey let's play a dumbass game of can you guess which version of this game you are actually downloading," and just 

jesus christ. 

I dunno what it is, maybe I'm not looking in the right places or something, but I feel like if past generations of consoles would have launched in this trash state there would be mayhem on message boards, but the vibe I get is everyone shrugging and being like "I dunno they came in hot, hope they fix it." 

• Sad 1

Spiderman froze on me so bad the other night that I had to unplug the console. Then I restarted the game and it happened again. Looked online, someone suggested that it might be because the PS5 has trouble downloading things in the background and playing Spiderman specifically. There's probably no way that's true but sure as shit I was DL stuff in the background, paused it, and I got through the rest of the night without an issue. 

knock on wood but I've already played like 80-100 hours on PS5 and have had zero issues, not a single crash.

Obviously I'm not saying you're embellishing or being hyperbolic but it may not be widespread.  

I feel for you though that sucks and if I were in your shoes I'd be pissed, but you should just RMA and get another one because it sounds like you got a defective unit.

Just now, thedarkstark said:

knock on wood but I've already played like 80-100 hours on PS5 and have had zero issues, not a single crash.

Obviously I'm not saying you're embellishing or being hyperbolic but it may not be widespread.  

I feel for you though that sucks and if I were in your shoes I'd be pissed, but you should just RMA and get another one because it sounds like you got a defective unit.

It's not a defective unit dude - the issues are well known and widespread. There's just an apathy toward it that I've never seen. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

It's not a defective unit dude - the issues are well known and widespread. There's just an apathy toward it that I've never seen. 

I mean I've put 40-50 hours into demon's souls and not experienced that issue.

Like I said have no doubt that you're experiencing it but it's not universal.  I'm not apathetic, I felt similar when I bought a switch and had controller drift and everyone denied it was a huge issue. 

Are you sure it's not defective hardware? Have you tried contacting Sony?

Just now, thedarkstark said:

I mean I've put 40-50 hours into demon's souls and not experienced that issue.

Like I said have no doubt that you're experiencing it but it's not universal.  I'm not apathetic, I felt similar when I bought a switch and had controller drift and everyone denied it was a huge issue. 

Are you sure it's not defective hardware? Have you tried contacting Sony?

The defective units are the ones the graphical issues the artifacting and whatnot that is representative of a GPU problem. The crashing issues are widespread, but apparently not universal. 

If it's defective hardware causing the issue, they're in for a class act lawsuit and a whole world of hurt given how rampant it seems to be. 

12 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Spiderman froze on me so bad the other night that I had to unplug the console. Then I restarted the game and it happened again. Looked online, someone suggested that it might be because the PS5 has trouble downloading things in the background and playing Spiderman specifically. There's probably no way that's true but sure as shit I was DL stuff in the background, paused it, and I got through the rest of the night without an issue. 

Pull the hard drive out and blow on it, problem solved.

• Haha 4

Also demon's souls ran pretty well overall for me, but had 2-3 instances of the choppy glitch I was talking about. A console restart always fixed it. 

A consistent issue I have is putting the console into rest mode, and then when I come back the next night it is off and acts like I've shut the thing off wrong, has to repair the drive (which thankfully takes zero time compared to the PS4). 

I would be curious if people put theirs into rest mode and it legit never happens to them. 

24 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

This thing hard crashes in game, somehow crashes itself in rest mode, I've had Demons Souls get stuck in this framey bullshit that looks like lag but isn't and the only way to fix it is to hard reboot, it's got all the weird "hey let's play a dumbass game of can you guess which version of this game you are actually downloading," and just 

jesus christ. 

I dunno what it is, maybe I'm not looking in the right places or something, but I feel like if past generations of consoles would have launched in this trash state there would be mayhem on message boards, but the vibe I get is everyone shrugging and being like "I dunno they came in hot, hope they fix it." 

Listening to GB over the past few weeks and it seems like Sony has really not done a great job. The "what version are you gonna get when DL something" is such a misfire.

8 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Also demon's souls ran pretty well overall for me, but had 2-3 instances of the choppy glitch I was talking about. A console restart always fixed it. 

A consistent issue I have is putting the console into rest mode, and then when I come back the next night it is off and acts like I've shut the thing off wrong, has to repair the drive (which thankfully takes zero time compared to the PS4). 

I would be curious if people put theirs into rest mode and it legit never happens to them. 

I always put mine in rest mode and that hasn’t happened to me. At least not yet. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Interesting. Thanks for the input. 

I hope it doesn't. 

I always put mine into rest mode as well and never had any issues. It has switched from rest mode to "off" twice, I'm not sure if that's due to like a system update or inactivity? But it has never prompted me to fix anything or warned me of an improper shut down afterward.

I think it's pretty obvious that it would have been hugely beneficial for both Sony and Microsoft to delay these launches into some time next year given the difficulties caused by the pandemic.  But they rushed out these under cooked consoles to take advantage of the current entertainment boom, and people are snapping them up regardless of the lack of games and uneven performance.

I've basically purposefully not used my PS5 much out of fear of it bricking.  When you get a new console, and there is a list of features not to use because it might brick the console, that's not a great sign of things.  I think some updates have fixed some stuff, but still not confident enough in plugging in an external and running my PS4 games off of it.

My guess is most of the issues must stem out of the overclocked GPU and imperfect SOC's.  There were reports of terrible yields, and maybe they didn't do as well a job with the QA as they should have.  

I don't know exactly what % of people are affected, but judging by the reports I've seen on social media, I'd say it's easily at least 10-20x worse than any other console launch I've seen before it in regards to people having issues.  

4 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

When I crashed similarly playing Spiderman, I too was downloading something in the background.  PS5 is definitely problematic right now.

11 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Never. I put mine in rest mode multiple  Times a day. Games running, games not running. No problems so far. 

• Like 1

This seems like close to the norm for anything video game related in general at this point. Pay full price for some shitty borderline-Beta version now, hopefully play something stable and complete within anywhere between six months to a year from release date if you're lucky. 

My friend is also having a ton of trouble with his PS5 though I'm not sure what the deal is. He just sent out a rage-text in all caps that read "THIS THING'S A PIECE OF SHIT" 

11 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Listening to GB over the past few weeks and it seems like Sony has really not done a great job. The "what version are you gonna get when DL something" is such a misfire.

Ummm, you can easily pick which version you download. I’ve always gotten the edition I meant to download.