Venture Bros. (The Movie) - Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart - 7/21/23

I haven't watched this show since Season 2, and I didn't even finish it. I remember Season 1 being so phenomenal that I pretty much wrote off S2 when it seemed apparent it was huge step back, and I figured they had spent all their good ideas the first time around and didn't have what it took to keep up the magic.

Plus I just plain stopped watching TV.

9 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I haven't watched this show since Season 2, and I didn't even finish it. I remember Season 1 being so phenomenal that I pretty much wrote off S2 when it seemed apparent it was huge step back, and I figured they had spent all their good ideas the first time around and didn't have what it took to keep up the magic.

You’re either confusing this with a different show or this is the wildest take I have ever read on this forum :p 

9 minutes ago, Reputator said:

The opening of season 2 is easily in my top 3 TV moments of all time.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

You’re either confusing this with a different show or this is the wildest take I have ever read on this forum :p 

Well that's why they're just opinions.

To be fair, Season 2 premiered a long ass time ago and I don't remember much about it. I do remember a number of recycled jokes and self-referencing which tends to turn me off.

3 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Well that's why they're just opinions.

To be fair, Season 2 premiered a long ass time ago and I don't remember much about it. I do remember a number of recycled jokes and self-referencing which tends to turn me off.

Thinking of a different show confirmed!

Venture Bros is probably the only show that I can confidently say does not recycle jokes often (if at all - it does call backs, but those are pay offs to previous events or lines, not recycling) and inarguably improved each season: the quality of the seasons from lowest to highest is literally the order of the seasons. Every season was, at minimum, “good”, but each was better than the previous.

I think the show generally gets better as the seasons go on and it becomes less of a parody of stuff like Johnny Quest and comes into its own. I do feel like they started to run on fumes a bit in the last season specifically. There's still really great stuff in there but some of it felt more like it was being pushed forward by callbacks.

Or maybe it's that I believe it's the season with the least Dr. Orpheus, which is a problem :p

6 hours ago, Reputator said:

Hmmm... Maybe I should revisit it. But I'd need to upgrade my Disney+ account to include Hulu. Which I've been thinking about doing anyway, off and on.

Max has the better version if you already have an account there. The Hulu ones are “off”. 
BTW, if you said you didn’t like the show or couldn’t get into it or whatever, that’s totally fine - my replies were based on the “the magic was gone in S2”; that’s when the magic began! I tell a lot of people who I recommend the show to “just get through S1… trust me here” - it’s not Schitt’s Creek S1 or Parks & Rec S1 bad by any means (VB S1 is good), but S1 is all a lead up to S2 and onward :santasun:

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think the show generally gets better as the seasons go on and it becomes less of a parody of stuff like Johnny Quest and comes into its own. I do feel like they started to run on fumes a bit in the last season specifically. There's still really great stuff in there but some of it felt more like it was being pushed forward by callbacks.

Or maybe it's that I believe it's the season with the least Dr. Orpheus, which is a problem :p

I thought this as well, until I recently rewatched the entire series. I probably initially felt the same as you with S7 because of the giant gap between seasons, but watching it all back-to-back I say with a lot of confidence that S7 had the strongest writing. Watching it all again sucked because S7 was leading into what probably would’ve been an absolutely epic S8 - if I had to guess the show had 2-3 seasons left in it.

• 1 month later...

Yikes, I guess I need to accelerate my rewatch...

I'm almost done with season 1.

I was kinda worried it wouldn't hold up or whatever, but it's still 🔥

My interest really waned the last few seasons and I still have not watched season 7. The massive gaps just killed all the momentum and I can't even remember what is happening and why. Thus the rewatch...

I probably watched Seasons one through three like 4 or 5 times each. After that it falls off a lot. I only watched the last few season once and I remember being kinda lost and not really "feeling it" or whatever. The magic was kinda gone. Hopefully binging the whole run will make it feel more cohesive without the 3-4 year gaps between seasons.

28 minutes ago, ort said:

Yikes, I guess I need to accelerate my rewatch...

I'm almost done with season 1.

I was kinda worried it wouldn't hold up or whatever, but it's still 🔥

My interest really waned the last few seasons and I still have not watched season 7. The massive gaps just killed all the momentum and I can't even remember what is happening and why. Thus the rewatch...

I probably watched Seasons one through three like 4 or 5 times each. After that it falls off a lot. I only watched the last few season once and I remember being kinda lost and not really "feeling it" or whatever. The magic was kinda gone. Hopefully binging the whole run will make it feel more cohesive without the 3-4 year gaps between seasons.

The season gaps when it was airing were rough. Rewatching it without those 3-4 year season gaps shows how awesome this show is.

• 4 weeks later...

Not movie related but :angry-fap:

I just finished my second rewatch this year to prep for the movie: AMA! :kiss:

It kills me that Red Death wasn't a character until end of S6. He instantly became my favorite - I love the monologue he gives in the end of that clip :lol:

I've been enjoying my rewatch a lot. Just finishing season 2. I'm almost certainly not going to be done before the movie comes out, but I've decided I'm okay with that. I'd rather not binge it... I'll stick to my few episodes a week pace.

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, ort said:

I've been enjoying my rewatch a lot. Just finishing season 2. I'm almost certainly not going to be done before the movie comes out, but I've decided I'm okay with that. I'd rather not binge it... I'll stick to my few episodes a week pace.

The seasons start dropping down to 10-12 episodes soon so you might make it :sickos:

The problem is I keep taking breaks... I watch in spurts...

It's funny, because I haven't watched these in so long, but at the same time, I've seen them so many times in the past, that it really doesn't feel fresh... I think if I had just found this show for the first time I would be more motivated, but I legit have seen all of these episodes like 4 or 5 times... just you know, 20 years ago...

It's also interesting how weird it is to hear non-stop usage of the word "gay" as a negative and the constant use of "retard". Not to mention how they handle trans characters.

...and I haven't even gotten to all the pedophelia jokes with Sgt. Hatred yet... 

I personally am not offended, just noting that you could never get away with that today... and this show isn't really that old.

18 minutes ago, ort said:

It's also interesting how weird it is to hear non-stop usage of the word "gay" as a negative and the constant use of "retard". Not to mention how they handle trans characters.

...and I haven't even gotten to all the pedophelia jokes with Sgt. Hatred yet... 

I personally am not offended, just noting that you could never get away with that today... and this show isn't really that old.

Just wait until you get to the Captain Sunshine episode :p 

FWIW, with all the early-2000s gay jokes and whatnot, the show has two very good openly gay characters who call Hank (and others) out for being ignorant. "Are you ever embarrassed by your ignorance, Hank?" "yea, like... all the time!"

and, my favorite:

Pete White:
I'm not gonna fight him, they can't make me fight him.

Shore Leave:
White you are such a sissy.

Pete White:
I'm a sissy. You're calling me a sissy.

Shore Leave:
Oh yeah, I get it. I'm out and proud and I'm the sissy. I'm brave enough to be who I am in the face of assholes like you, and I'm the sissy. Maybe when you come outta the closet you can walk a mile in my jimmy Choos.

Pete White:
What?! I am so not gay.

Shore Leave:
With that pink shirt and that oh-so-sad dye job.

Pete White:
I'm a albino, and this is my lucky shirt. It was red when I bought it.

Shore Leave:
I hope I fight you next. You BIG sissy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Spork3245 changed the title to Venture Bros. (The Movie) - Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart - 7/21/23

Sounds like this isn't really confirmed. There is a screen shot from some site that scrapes data from IMDB that says it is leaving on the 12th... but no where else does it say this and Jackson Public himself seems confused. Also, the screenshot says it's leaving HBO Max, which is no longer what the service is even called.

I guess we'll find out, because there is no way I'm going to be able to watch all the seasons before the 12th. I mean, I could, but I don't typically watch TV like that... it would be like 3-4 episodes a night. I like to take things a little slower than that.

If it goes away I don't know what I will do. I guess I will re-hookup my TiVo that has all of season 7 on it and just watch that before the movie... That's the only season I have not watched at all... but I also barely remember what happened in season 6... bleh...