What Are You Reading or Listening To?

War and Peace: when something is this stupidly long, it’s hard to really sum it up in a comment…

…but

great historical novel about war (though barely any actual fighting), a great historical novel about the life of the (changing) life of he Russian aristocracy, a great portrait of Russia and a lot of interesting reflections…also about 150,000 words too long and any time Tolstoy decides to write a chapter of reflections instead of pushing forward the novel are a bore.

I'm now looking forward to reading one of the 7 books I have lined up that won’t destroy my brain with names.

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading a little slower lately, with my work schedule, getting involved in Far Cry 6, and some social events. 

Finshed NOS4A2 last night. That was a great read. Joe Hill definitely has his dad's talent. 

Down to the last quarter of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Hoping to finish it before New Years. 

Started Gwendy’s Button Box by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar. This will be a short one. I wanna read this and the sequel before the final book releases in February. 

Finished: I Don’t Give a Shit Miss and it was a good overview of SEMH issues and strategies in a children, but it definitely wanted more depth - so might tweet the author to ask for where else to look.

Mow reading the first four Earthsea books, which I haven’t before. It’s like every fantasy novel I’ve read, but it doesn’t stop it being fun.

Presently listening to Warhawk. Finished Mortis this week. Once I am done with warhawk I will be caught up to the Siege of Terra series. Need to wait for books 7 and 8 at that point.

Finally got around to ordering Russian and Soviet Battleships by Stephen McGlaughlin in hardcover. Drachinifil managed to get this reprinted. 

Went with Kindle to get Tribals, Battles, and Darings: The genesis of the modern destroyer by Dr Alexander Clarke. I still kinda want the hardcover but I will need to wait for a reprint.

Almost done with Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I'm getting this in before the new year.

Gonna try to finish this book Migrations by Charlotte McConaghy on my Kindle. I really liked her most recent, Once There Were Wolves, but this one has me struggling. But it's short, so I'm just gonna make a quick push. Then I should finish the year with 95 books read.

I was kinda themed this year for XMas. I got tickets to hopefully still see Foo Fighters in July in Toronto. Plus I was given Cradle to the Stage written by Dave Grohl’s mom about moms of other singers. Although I’ve decided to start with my 2nd gifted book Dave Grohl’s The Storyteller. I’m about a 1/3rd of the way in, but already some great stories been told. I really do seem to like my biographies lately and should really get back into my reading habit

My New Year's Resolution is to actually read Moby Dick, something I've failed to do since college (I still have an inscribed copy from a professor sitting somewhere on a shelf). I've made it through 4 chapters, and I plan to keep chipping away it at. I might take breaks for other things (I've got my eye on Butcher's Crossing by John Williams).

On 12/24/2021 at 6:45 AM, gamer.tv said:

Finished: I Don’t Give a Shit Miss and it was a good overview of SEMH issues and strategies in a children, but it definitely wanted more depth - so might tweet the author to ask for where else to look.

Mow reading the first four Earthsea books, which I haven’t before. It’s like every fantasy novel I’ve read, but it doesn’t stop it being fun.

On book three - this is the post Hobbit fantasy I need in my life at the moment. 

Batman: White Knight: Went in knowing the barebones of it but very hyped on what was supposedly a great story.. First off the art, love it no problems there… The story itself wasnt quite what I expected… I legitimately expected the tables being turned on the Joker/Batman dynamic, instead the story allows both characters an “out” for everything that happens and even gives a 3rd party to serve as a greater threat…. Real good but had hoped for more

spy-e1641924393735.jpg
DEFECTOR.COM

Welcome back to Defector Reads A Book! Our December DRAB selection was John le Carré’s The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, which the Defector book sickos have read and discussed. We’ll be down in the comments to chat with you as soon as you’re done reading.  Barry Petchesky: Brrrr, it’s cold out there! Before we actually dive into […]

Defector's book club did The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. If you've never read it, you should get on that!

On 1/8/2022 at 9:56 PM, 5timechamp said:

Batman: White Knight: Went in knowing the barebones of it but very hyped on what was supposedly a great story.. First off the art, love it no problems there… The story itself wasnt quite what I expected… I legitimately expected the tables being turned on the Joker/Batman dynamic, instead the story allows both characters an “out” for everything that happens and even gives a 3rd party to serve as a greater threat…. Real good but had hoped for more

Funnily enough, I also read Batman: White Knight over my Christmas holiday!

I enjoyed it enough that I'll pick up its continuation when it finally goes on sale.

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Funnily enough, I also read Batman: White Knight over my Christmas holiday!

I enjoyed it enough that I'll pick up its continuation when it finally goes on sale.

Continuation?

You mean curse of the White Knight? White Knight Presents: Harley Quinn?  those are already out...

there is a White Knight: Batman Beyond coming up... definitely looking forward to that...

The Next Installment of the White Knight Universe | DC

26 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Continuation?

You mean curse of the White Knight? White Knight Presents: Harley Quinn?  those are already out...

there is a White Knight: Batman Beyond coming up... definitely looking forward to that...

The Next Installment of the White Knight Universe | DC

Yeah - I meant Curse of the White Knight when it's on sale for a price that I'm willing to pay.

I'm trying to finish Killing Pablo, plus I started reading The Likeness by Tana French on my Kindle. It's rare for me, but I'm gonna start a romance tonight. The Sweetest Remedy by Jane Igharo. It was a BOTM pick and has some racial issues to make it relevant. Need something a bit lighter and happier after finishing Cujo last night.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:26 PM, thewhyteboar said:

My New Year's Resolution is to actually read Moby Dick, something I've failed to do since college (I still have an inscribed copy from a professor sitting somewhere on a shelf). I've made it through 4 chapters, and I plan to keep chipping away it at. I might take breaks for other things (I've got my eye on Butcher's Crossing by John Williams).

Ok, finished Butcher's Crossing (a brutally gorgeous and honest Western), so it's back to Moby Dick for a few chapters before I start something new.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 6:44 PM, thewhyteboar said:

Ok, finished Butcher's Crossing (a brutally gorgeous and honest Western), so it's back to Moby Dick for a few chapters before I start something new.

I did a few more chapters in Moby Dick then read The Goblin Emperor. Good story but too much world building; I don't want to consult a glossary just to understand the difference declinations of family names and titles. Eww.

I really liked Butcher's Crossing so I grabbed another book by the same author, Augustus, an epistolary novel about, well, you can guess.