What Are You Reading or Listening To?

On 8/31/2021 at 5:54 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Finally gonna try to read the Outlander series. Wish me luck.

Also started Stacy Abram's When Justice Sleeps. I like legal thrillers.

Have you watched the show? An ex got me in to it and it's surprisingly good, IMO. I've been considering the books so I'll be curious to know what you think! 

20 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Have you watched the show? An ex got me in to it and it's surprisingly good, IMO. I've been considering the books so I'll be curious to know what you think! 

No, I’ve been waiting to read the books first. Not sure how I’ll play it. Read first book, then watch first season? Or just catch up in the books where the show currently is. These are huge books and I don’t think I’ll be binging them. 

So far I am enjoying the book, though. 

@CastlevaniaNut18

WWW.PENGUINRANDOMHOUSE.COM

“An audacious, entertaining page-turner. Dan Jones covers a thousand years of history with elegance and panache.”—Dan Carlin, host of Hardcore History "Simply the best popular...

• Thanks 1

I've been working OT lately, so my reading has been on the slower side(for me). But the money is too damn good right now, plus I'm going on vacation starting Saturday. I finished the Ted Williams bio this week and The Dead Zone last night.

Now starting The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum and Crusaders: The Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands by Dan Jones.

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

been forever since I read that one. I think I remember King using an odd style for that one. 

It does. It's a continuous narrative by Dolores. No chapters or breaks. It's kinda jarring, but I've always heard it's a good one and through 40 or so pages, I like it. I'll watch the movie after, since Kathy Bates and all.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It does. It's a continuous narrative by Dolores. No chapters or breaks. It's kinda jarring, but I've always heard it's a good one and through 40 or so pages, I like it. I'll watch the movie after, since Kathy Bates and all.

Yeah, now I remember it, vaguely. Has an eclipse in it or something. Don't think I've ever watched the movie. I'll have to correct that oversight 

13 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Now starting Skeleton Crew by Stephen King. I wanna see what The Mist is all about and lucky for me, it's the first story. @EternallDarknesshelp me out: what's better, the show or the movie?

well considering the show never had a resolution...stupid decision for them to try and make it an ongoing series rather than a limited series (especially given it was based on a short novella) I would definitely have to say the movie. The movie also has several options. Two different endings and a color version and black and white version. 

• Thanks 1

As for what I am currently reading...almost a dozen books at the moment :lol: (the next upcoming Reacher novel Better Off Dead and the newest Jonathan Kellerman City of the Dead to name a few) but am most excited that this morning I got an ARC from Disney for In Every Generation which is a book that continues the Buffy the Vampire Slayer universe. It centers around Willow's daughter who becomes the becomes the new slayer. So she's a witch/vampire slayer. Haven't started it yet so I have no clue if it's any good or not but as a fan of the show I can't wait to jump in.

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

well considering the show never had a resolution...stupid decision for them to try and make it an ongoing series rather than a limited series (especially given it was based on a short novella) I would definitely have to say the movie. The movie also has several options. Two different endings and a color version and black and white version. 

Good  to know. That's dumb they did that. I was thinking I'll just watch the 2007 movie. Seems like I've heard fans complain about the ending, though I never knew which version they were referring to.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Good  to know. That's dumb they did that. I was thinking I'll just watch the 2007 movie. Seems like I've heard fans complain about the ending, though I never knew which version they were referring to.

I thought both endings were fine, though one was definitely more disturbing than the other. 

Phew, finally finished Outlander last night. Mixed feelings on that one. Lot of parts that dragged. Overall, I liked it, but I’m debating just watching the show from here on. I started the show last week and 7 episodes in it’s really good. Just feel like the book could have been edited down a fair bit.

Otherwise, I’ll still reading Skeleton Crew and I started Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar last night. 

Also finished Six Women of Salem a few days ago, haven’t decided what my next nonfiction read will be. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Phew, finally finished Outlander last night. Mixed feelings on that one. Lot of parts that dragged. Overall, I liked it, but I’m debating just watching the show from here on. I started the show last week and 7 episodes in it’s really good. Just feel like the book could have been edited down a fair bit.

Otherwise, I’ll still reading Skeleton Crew and I started Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar last night. 

Also finished Six Women of Salem a few days ago, haven’t decided what my next nonfiction read will be. 

I still need to pick up Chasing the Boogeyman (heard thing but good things about it) but since I'm more or less broke at the moment it'll have to wait. Which I suppose is okay as my backlog is massive, but you'll have to let me know what you think of it. 

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I still need to pick up Chasing the Boogeyman (heard thing but good things about it) but since I'm more or less broke at the moment it'll have to wait. Which I suppose is okay as my backlog is massive, but you'll have to let me know what you think of it. 

I’ll let you know. Shouldn’t be a long read. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I finished Chasing the Boogeyman early this week. Just been busy, had a death in the family, out of town for the services and all. I liked the book. It's like part memoir, part murder mystery, set in the guise of true crime. I liked the crime parts more than the memoir. Overall, a solid 4/5. I need to read the Gwendy books from him, so I can be ready for the finale of the trilogy in Feb.

I'm still working on Skeleton Crew, in the last third now. Some stories have been forgettable, some great. Next up is The House on Cold Hill by Peter James and Caste: The Origins of our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson.

15 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Okay, so I finished Chasing the Boogeyman early this week. Just been busy, had a death in the family, out of town for the services and all. I liked the book. It's like part memoir, part murder mystery, set in the guise of true crime. I liked the crime parts more than the memoir. Overall, a solid 4/5. I need to read the Gwendy books from him, so I can be ready for the finale of the trilogy in Feb.

I'm still working on Skeleton Crew, in the last third now. Some stories have been forgettable, some great. Next up is The House on Cold Hill by Peter James and Caste: The Origins of our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson.

I'm a few chapters into Chasing and enjoying it so far. 

I've been reading "Three Body Problem". It had a really interesting premise and the first half of the book really hooked me in, but I feel like its losing its grip ever so slowly. The twist just wasn't really where I was expecting it to go, though I still have 1/4 of the book to finish. I hope it gets back to some of the things that I feel were just left behind with no real explanation.

About halfway through The Dragon Reborn. The middle of this is starting to drag a bit but I’m still enjoying it. Wanna get it finished before the show starts because I read it pulls things from the first 3 episodes. 

Also rereading The Sandman Vol 2 while listening to the second audio performance at the same time. Absolutely incredible. This is by far my favorite multi media experience of the year.