What Are You Reading or Listening To?

18 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I like to bounce around, actually. 

I completely understand. Probably not what you mean, but at times I've been known to take a stack of 6-9 books and rotate them, reading a chapter of one, grabbing the next reading a chapter, grabbing the next....and so on and so on. Cycling through them books again and again a chapter at a time. :lol:

On 6/9/2021 at 6:07 AM, gamer.tv said:

Change this to 400 pages but it feels like 800 pages. With working and life, this is going to be my book until July.

Now at the 650 pages, but it feel like 1300 pages. I'm now stupidly invested in the fortunes of the various families detailed in the story and who will end up marrying who. 

10 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I enjoyed that one quite a bit. I just started Salem's Lot this morning. Been a long time since I read this one. 

It’s good so far. I’ve always liked lost in the wilderness, survival stories. Plus, Red Sox! 

I liked Salem’s Lot. Read it a few years ago, when I was picking SK back up as an adult. 

Listened to the audiobook version of Andy Weir’s Project Hail Mary. I really enjoyed it, much less of the constant torture of The Martian but still with the fun problem sciencey problem solving.

I'm in the midst of the Drizzt D&D novels by RA Salvatore. I just started The Thousand Orcs. They're kinda starting to get a little tired in the "plot device" area (you can only run around the Spine of the World and kill trolls/orcs/etc for so long.) But what I've enjoyed (and what I'm using as a learning tool for my own book I'm writing) is that the character development that seems to be steadily progressing. Drizzt had his major character development arcs over the first six books or so... and now Wulfgar's major arc seems to be wrapped up by where I'm at now. Salvatore's dropping hints that Cattie-brie might be the next one in line; she's starting to show a little bit of a dark side here and there. 

So while the books are starting to suffer from D&D fatigue by now, I'm kind of approaching them like comic books. Each book offers a little bit more of the lore. But I still have a long way to go.

In addition to that, I've been picking up and reading a bit of The Last Wish. I've been slowly gathering The Witcher series whenever I find them at the used book store. I've already read it, but trying to refresh myself for the later books (and to see how closely the Netflix show gets it). 

My next project will be the Stephen King Dark Tower series, but those are still a long, long way off.

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Starting Different Seasons by Stephen King. Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies of all time and I'm really overdue to read the book. I've also never seen Stand By Me, so I'm going into The Body with hardly any knowledge. 

Holy crap! You have to watch Stand By Me once you've read the story. Definitely one of the best King movie translations.

45 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Shawshank was good, but I already knew that story and I actually prefer the movie more. 

Apt Pupil was excellent and disturbing and I went into that one knowing nothing. 

Now starting The Body. 

yeah Apt Pupil surprised me the first time I read it. I keep meaning to check out the movie version. No clue if it's any good, but it has Ian McKellen in it so how bad can it be, right? 

I just finished Don Winslow's short story collection, Broken. Ironically the first story (the one the collection is named for) is the worst. But I really liked the collection as a whole. I liked how characters from his other works popped in to these stories (I was glad to see Chon, Ben, and O again).

Continuing to rotate through 6+++ novels, almost always starting another 1 or 2 for each one I finish :silly: but one of those I did finish recently was Billy Summers. Definitely another solid story from King, who still seems to still be on his crime-ish novel kick. I enjoyed it quite a bit but I'm hoping for him to return one of these days with one of his more classic supernatural/horror stories.