What Are You Reading or Listening To?

I’m about halfway into Ready Player 2 and it got better. I’m curious enough about the story to finish it but good god the writing is only bearable in short spurts. The writing of Aech’s dialogue makes me want to burn the book. 

So I decided to start something to offset the terrible that I’ve been putting off for wayyyyyy to long. Started The Eye of the World last night. Not a fast reader so should be done with this series by the time my kid starts college. Looking forward to the journey though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished The Only Good Indians last week. I liked it. The style was a bit jarring to me and it was definitely strange, but I think I'll be reading more from this author.

I also read How to be an Anti-racist by Ibram X. Kendi over the last few days.

Currently reading Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys and If You Tell by Gregg Olsen.

9 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I finished The Only Good Indians last week. I liked it. The style was a bit jarring to me and it was definitely strange, but I think I'll be reading more from this author.

I also read How to be an Anti-racist by Ibram X. Kendi over the last few days.

Currently reading Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys and If You Tell by Gregg Olsen.

My wife started The Only Good Indians, but had to drop it half-way as she lost interest (rare for her, she eats up all forms of horror). She mentioned that while the first part of the book had a great (and creepy) atmosphere, she couldn't get invested in the protagonist due to the acts he committed. 

I am just over 1/3 of the way through Rhythm of War. I got stuck on one particularly long chapter with Shallan/Veil/Radiant (split personality magic user), it just wasn't written well. That's the downside of an epic high fantasy book with 5-9 POV characters, they aren't all going to be winners. However, I finally managed to push through and now the story is really starting to kick off. I ordered Aching God by Mike Shel, and am excited to read that after. It's more of a Cosmic Fantasy. Description is:

The days of adventure are passed for Auric Manteo. Retired to the countryside with his scars and riches, he no longer delves into forbidden ruins seeking dark wisdom and treasure. That is, until old nightmares begin plaguing his sleep, heralding an urgent summons back to that old life.

To save his only daughter, Auric must return to the place of his greatest trauma: the haunted Barrowlands. With only a few inexperienced companions and an old soldier, he must confront the dangers of the ancient and wicked Djao civilization. Auric has survived fell beasts, insidious traps, and deadly hazards before. But can he contend with the malice of a bloodthirsty living god?

I enjoy Cosmic Horror, and this has some good impressions. Deals with the PTSD (effectively) of an old adventurer who must once again face unknown cosmic forces.

On 3/2/2021 at 9:44 PM, EternallDarkness said:

I've heard so many mixed review for The Only Good Indians, kind of sounds like a love it or hate book to me. It's definitely one I intend to give a shot to at some point down the road. 

Picked up and started Stephen King's newest Later. Not that far into it yet, but enjoy it so far. 

I got that yesterday, looking forward to it. 

Indians was just...weird. I’m still trying to process exactly how I feel about it. I didn’t love it, but it wasn’t a dislike for me, either. 

Just finished The Devil You Know by Charles Blow. I’m pretty sold on his idea to reverse the great migration and create majority Black states in the south. Crazy and bold idea.

Blasted though Orders of Battle, the 7th book in the Frontlines series. Love the series. I just hope it's not another 2+ years before the next one comes out.  Also still working my way through Fantasticland (rather twisted book that is told as a series of interviews abut what happened when a group of people got trapped in a massive theme park for a prolonged period of time after a massive hurricane.) It's quite twisted, has a kind of Lord of the Flies feel as it explores the breakdown of society and people choosing up sides. 

So still reading The Orchestra of Minorities which has continued to be great and I’ll finish it off this week.

I’m posting as I started to read The Hobbit to my daughter, despite being 6 months old and not having a clue but it making her fall asleep, it’s been really fun to read it out loud with voices. I just fancied sharing my fun!

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

So still reading The Orchestra of Minorities which has continued to be great and I’ll finish it off this week.

I’m posting as I started to read The Hobbit to my daughter, despite being 6 months old and not having a clue but it making her fall asleep, it’s been really fun to read it out loud with voices. I just fancied sharing my fun!

That sounds like fun. My daughter is 4 months, I want to start reading the Iliad to her soon.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:48 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

By jarring style do you mean his propensity for excessively long, damn near run on sentences? Because I'm reading his new one, My Heart is a Chainsaw, and it's really driving me crazy. The story is interesting, but the paragraph long sentences are starting to get on my nerves a bit. 

15 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

By jarring style do you mean his propensity for excessively long, damn near run on sentences? Because I'm reading his new one, My Heart is a Chainsaw, and it's really driving me crazy. The story is interesting, but the paragraph long sentences are starting to get on my nerves a bit. 

Something like that. I didn't realize he had a new one coming out already. Sound interesting, I might pick it up this Summer.

Started a new fiction, The Last Flight by Julie Clark. It's a fast moving thriller.

WWW.PENGUINRANDOMHOUSE.COM

The astonishing true story of “one of the most startling police corruption scandals in a generation” (The New York Times), from the Pulitzer Prize–nominated reporter who exposed...

Soon to be an HBO miniseries from the writers of The Wire.

Room To Dream - David Lynch/Kristine McKenna

It's a strange but compelling format for a biography and so far a very interesting read. I find David Lynch highly fascinating so I just enjoy reading about him, positive and negative alike. Some very interesting stuff in here.