What Are You Reading or Listening To?

I finally read The Left Hand of Darkness, but Ursula K Le Guin, and really enjoyed it. It's a sci-fi classic, and involves a planet of humans who are androgynous and asexual (except once a month when they change into either man or woman to mate), and the envoy of the human galactic community who is sent their to make contact. It examines gender roles, prejudice, and puts the envoy (who is a straight man) into the role of a pervert, as that is how the society sees him (for being constrained to a single gender, and always being sexual). It was written in 1969 and was quite ahead of its time. I highly recommend it!

I started—but can't seem to finish—The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert A. Heinlein. Published in 1966, it's considered a sci-fi classic, and while it does bring up interesting ideas about AI and lunar colonies, it's deeply rooted in the era's (and author's) prejudices. It's really painful to read sci-fi from the golden age a lot of the time, with how the authors treated female characters.

My next book will either by the first of the Earthsea series (fantasy, also by Le Guin), or possibly Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake, the first of the Gormenghast series (gothic fiction/fantasy).

I completed the audiobook version of this a few days ago and I HIGHLY recommend it:

97804650935021.jpg?fit=484%2C750&w=640
WWW.BASICBOOKS.COM

Visit the post for more.

The author previously wrote several great books about antiquity (Rubicon, Persian Fire, Dynasty) and the early Middle Ages (The Shadow of the Sword, The Forge of Christendom) and I really do think this is his masterwork (so far!). 

The premise of the book is that Christianity represented a genuine "revolution" in the development of Western society and contains "revolutions" within itself that fundamentally changed it through the ages.

In the realm of political thought, Holland's central thesis is that all those wonderful "Enlightenment values" that the West holds so dear aren't Greco-Roman in the least, but rather they're "Christian".  Holland even goes so far as to posit that even Marxism has its roots in Christian philosophical values.  In fact, Holland identifies only one Western political movement that is truly inherently anti-Christian: fascism. Essentially, the moral/philosophical basis of fascism is the complete and total negation of the moral/philosophical basis of Christianity.

This was a seriously damned fine history book!

• Thanks 1

Rereading Dune for the first time since I was 13/14. Was supposed to be in preparation for the movie but now not so much :(

Its reads so much easier than I remember. For some reason I remembered it being overly descriptive and verbose like Lord of the Rings but I was pleasantly surprised to realize that it’s not that at all. 

43174603._UY2846_SS2846_.jpg
WWW.GOODREADS.COM

The Fires of Vengeance book. Read 65 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. Desperate to delay an impending attack by the indigenous peo...

I'm about a quarter of the way into this.  Anyone who hasn't read the first in this series 'The Rage of Dragons" should start there.  It is excellent.  

15 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Rereading Dune for the first time since I was 13/14. Was supposed to be in preparation for the movie but now not so much :(

Its reads so much easier than I remember. For some reason I remembered it being overly descriptive and verbose like Lord of the Rings but I was pleasantly surprised to realize that it’s not that at all. 

I had the same experience. I read it for the first time at 15 and thought it was really good, but tough to get through. Then I reread it in college and appreciated it even more.

I just finished Paladin's Grace by T. Kingfisher. I really liked it, so now I'm working through more books by her.

It's been years since I read a James Patterson book. I got burned out. I will always have a fondness for The Jester, though.

Man, I'm at 84 books completed on the year. My previous record was 70 last year.

Obama's memoir is instantly addictive, but I know it'll take me a bit to read it. I'm gonna start Warriors of the Storm by Bernard Cornwell for my next fiction. Really want to get through this series and read some of his other books.

Reading Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam. It was BOTM pick and I thought it sounded interesting when I picked it. I've seen most BOTM users bashing it, but I felt like I should give it a shot, plus it's really short. I'm already over halfway and I started this morning. I don't hate it...but his writing isn't my style, really, and it's pretty vague. But I'm gonna finish it.

Just finished The Color of Magic.

Started on Fellowship of the Ring.

I was in the mood for some Fantasy and was trying to avoid just going with a reread of the Wheel of Time for the tenth time.

Man, Fellowship starts out alright, but now I am remembering why I had such a hard time getting through it years ago. I will never understand the fans that think the books, and especially the pacing, is better than the movies. 150 pages of the 1,000 page trilogy and they're just now out of the Shire!

Oh well, I am determined to finish the Trilogy this time.

On 11/28/2020 at 12:24 AM, EternallDarkness said:

Well Ready Player Two was a bit of a let down. Story was entertaining though not nearly as good as the original. There's more than a little virtue signaling :talkhand: and sadly a few sections dragged on too long, still it was fun to revisit Wade and the Oasis.

Weird, because I'm seeing it get slammed for some transphobic scenes. I still haven't read the first book, though it's been on my Kindle for four years. :lol:

Started Unspeakable Things by Jess Lourey on my Paperwhite last night.

15 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

seriously? Not sure how people are seeing it that way, but what do I know? 

trying to figure out my next read

I can't say I ever pictured you for having much interest in LGBT issues, so I'm guessing you missed it. I read the section in question. To me, if felt more like hetero cis-male ignorance that an editor should have caught, rather than the overt trans bigotry, say, JK Rowling shows. It probably wouldn't ruin the book for me, but overall the reviews for this one seem pretty lackluster compared to its predecessor. I'll probably pass on it for that reason.

I still need to read the first book, though. I've heard it's really good.

I won't say you're wrong. After spending the years I did watching people from all walks suffer and die, I have to say I kind of view all people the same. I mean I've had gay/lesbian friends, but I never really considered it beyond the fact that oh Sarah likes girls or well David's new boyfriend seems to be kind of a jackass. A failing or limited view on my part? perhaps. So you're right, I can't claim to have much interest or insight into LGBT issues. I try not to view people in terms of labels. People are people. You're going to find good and bad people in very category you can come up with. I'm not trying to downplay anyone's feelings. I'm sure if I was a part of one of these groups I'm might view things differently. I'm sure many would say that's my straight white male privilege talking (and maybe it is, but that just happens to be my own personal point of view in life...sorry can't help that since that's what I am, lol) So maybe I didn't see what others seem to have seen in the book.

That being said, you won't be missing out on anything if you pass on Ready Player two, but you really should give Ready Player One a go sometime. Especially if you have nostalgia for the 80s.

9781541724013-2.jpg?fit=484%2C750&w=640
WWW.PUBLICAFFAIRSBOOKS.COM

Visit the post for more.

An absolutely damning account of the complicity of the United States government in the murder of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people in Indonesia and Latin America by right-wing regimes in the name of "anti-communism".

In 1965, the U.S. government helped the Indonesian military kill approximately one million innocent civilians. This was one of the most important turning points of the twentieth century, eliminating the largest communist party outside China and the Soviet Union and inspiring copycat terror programs in faraway countries like Brazil and Chile. But these events remain widely overlooked, precisely because the CIA’s secret interventions were so successful.

In this bold and comprehensive new history, Vincent Bevins builds on his incisive reporting for the Washington Post, using recently declassified documents, archival research and eye-witness testimony collected across twelve countries to reveal a shocking legacy that spans the globe. For decades, it’s been believed that parts of the developing world passed peacefully into the U.S.-led capitalist system. The Jakarta Method demonstrates that the brutal extermination of unarmed leftists was a fundamental part of Washington’s final triumph in the Cold War.

Needless to say, I'm getting very, VERY angry reading this book.

Fiction: The Mothers by Brit Bennett. Her second book, The Vanishing Half is my BOTY for 2020 and I've heard her debut isn't quite as good, but the premise still makes me want to read it.

Nonfiction: Race Against Time: A Reporter Reopens the Unsolved Murder Cases of the Civil Rights Era by Jerry Mitchell. I'd always had an interest in finding a good book about the 1964 civil rights workers murders and this came out right around the time I was looking.

These will be books 94 and 95 on the year for me. Kinda wish I could hit 100, but it's not quite going to happen.