What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Just finished the Bobiverse trilogy and I highly recommend it. The premise is:

Genre: Sci-fi

Premise: A programmer (Bob) in the early-21st-Century pays for cryogenics, dies, and is reborn in the medium-future inside a computer when his frozen brain is scanned. The major world powers at that time (religious-USA, Brazil, Australia, China, UK) are sending probes to the stars. The plot of the books is him controlling a probe and eventually making copies of himself (which make copies, etc) and explore dozens of systems, encounter life, try to save the dwindling human race by helping colonize, fight Brazil, fight aliens, etc. It's interesting to see how different versions of him in different systems (and ships, stations, androids, etc) basically manage and save the human race.

It's a very good book series, and was released primarily as audio books, but Amazon printed physical editions as well. 

22 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Just finished the Bobiverse trilogy and I highly recommend it. The premise is:

Genre: Sci-fi

Premise: A programmer (Bob) in the early-21st-Century pays for cryogenics, dies, and is reborn in the medium-future inside a computer when his frozen brain is scanned. The major world powers at that time (religious-USA, Brazil, Australia, China, UK) are sending probes to the stars. The plot of the books is him controlling a probe and eventually making copies of himself (which make copies, etc) and explore dozens of systems, encounter life, try to save the dwindling human race by helping colonize, fight Brazil, fight aliens, etc. It's interesting to see how different versions of him in different systems (and ships, stations, androids, etc) basically manage and save the human race.

It's a very good book series, and was released primarily as audio books, but Amazon printed physical editions as well. 

Ok, that all sounds great actually, but how did fighting Brazil become a part of it?

50 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Ok, that all sounds great actually, but how did fighting Brazil become a part of it?

Without getting into major spoilers, the major powers in the 22nd/23rd century are:

• New USA (called FAITH - Free American Independent Theocratic Hegemony)
  • The USE (United States of Eurasia - basically EU+western Russian)
  • China (China + eastern Russia and south-east Asia)
  • Australian Federation
  • Republic of Africa
  • Brazilian Empire (most of South America)

There are other nations, but those are the big powers that all have interstellar capability.

Of those nations, Brazil is the most antagonistic, while USE is the most "normal" by today's standards. Bob works (in the beginning) for FAITH since he lived in America prior to dying.

I’ve finished The Institute and it was one of the stronger King books I’ve read. I enjoyed Doctor Sleep and The Outsider, but this felt like a better, more complete story. I do really want a proper SK horror at some point and may buy Salem’s Lot, which I haven’t actually read before. I’ve also decided to give Ducks, Newburyport and actual go. It’s pretty full on being 980 pages with no chapters, limited punctuation and the fact it’s the overloaded thought processes of an American housewife, but after reading a page out loud to my wife it actually got hold of me. I wonder how I’ll feel though after 200 pages.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:46 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Currently reading The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell. I'm really getting through this series now. Looking forward to read some of his other books after The Saxon Stories.

Whats The Pagan Lord about?  Ive read Saxon Stories(really good) and Warlord Chronicles(amazeballs good) by him and would love to get into another series

5 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I’ve finished The Institute and it was one of the stronger King books I’ve read. I enjoyed Doctor Sleep and The Outsider, but this felt like a better, more complete story. I do really want a proper SK horror at some point and may buy Salem’s Lot, which I haven’t actually read before. I’ve also decided to give Ducks, Newburyport and actual go. It’s pretty full on being 980 pages with no chapters, limited punctuation and the fact it’s the overloaded thought processes of an American housewife, but after reading a page out loud to my wife it actually got hold of me. I wonder how I’ll feel though after 200 pages.

I thought The Institute started strong and was full of promise but then petered out. 

23 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I thought The Institute started strong and was full of promise but then petered out. 

Speaking of Stephen King, I’m wanting to read him again soon. Wanting to read The Outsider, but I’ve heard it’s somewhat connected to Mr Mercedes trilogy and spoils some stuff. Is that true? So I should read the trilogy first? I also have If It Bleeds and I’ve heard at least one of the stories connects to The Outsider. 

I just want know what order I should read stuff in. I know they aren’t direct sequels but I don’t want any major spoilers for another book I haven’t read. 

15 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Speaking of Stephen King, I’m wanting to read him again soon. Wanting to read The Outsider, but I’ve heard it’s somewhat connected to Mr Mercedes trilogy and spoils some stuff. Is that true? So I should read the trilogy first? I also have If It Bleeds and I’ve heard at least one of the stories connects to The Outsider. 

I just want know what order I should read stuff in. I know they aren’t direct sequels but I don’t want any major spoilers for another book I haven’t read. 

Indeed both have connection to the Bill Hodges trilogy and do have spoilers as they feature a character from that series and events in the trilogy are referenced a number of times. Reading order would be the release order. The Bill Hodges trilogy (Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch) then The Outsider, and finally If It Bleeds, though If It bleeds is actually 4 different stories and only the actual story titled If It Bleeds is connected to the other books. 

• Thanks 1

Been super into Neil Gaimans audiobooks while I’m driving around for work. Just finished The Sandman pt 1 which was utterly amazing. I always assumed graphic novels couldn’t be translated into Audio form but good god was this executed perfectly. 

Decided to start Gaimans Lovecraft Monsters book. I’ve actually never read this one so it’ll be fun to have to listen to something brand brand new for a change. 

Currently reading Countdown 1945 by Chris Wallace. I wouldn't normally buy a book from a Fox guy, but Wallance is generally pretty good and so far, I'm really liking the book. There are more detailed accounts of this time period and I've read some of them, but this is a easy to digest short read.

I think I'm gonna start The Night Swim by Megan Goldin for my next novel. It was my August BOTM pick and I've got my Sept box on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda went through a bit of a reading slump for about a week. I finished The World As It Is, but I just could not get into The Hunting Party. I gave up and that's extremely rare for me.

I read The Haunting of Rookward House by Darcy Coates. I really enjoy most of her books, they're just fun, creepy ghost stories and this is the right time of year for them. Finished it this morning.

I'm currently working on Magna Carta: The Birth of Liberty by Dan Jones. I love medieval English history and this guy makes it interesting. 

Probbaly going to start Mr Mercedes by Stephen King for my next novel.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It's strange that I can recognize the world building and characters as being amazing...but the actual story just kind of leaps along and really doesn't have much substance. I'd almost welcome someone re-writing it today, adding about 200 pages and turning it into something more substantial. 

I've also technically just read Beyond the Stars, which is a collection of short stories for children to pick one I want to teach in a few weeks (I went with the Kind of the Birds). 

I've also started a book called The Lie of the Land, but I've been so busy/tired lately, my small amounts of downtime tend to be quick goes on the PS4 (or DS), or guitar. 

Couldn’t get into the last book mentioned so, on recommendation by my wife, I’m reading The Goose Girl. It’s listed as a young adult, fantasy novel, though some of the description and subject matter push it into just ‘adult’ fiction. I’ve also bought four books that I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy based on the authors, so hopefully this will get me back into reading again after a little hiatus.