Sign in to follow this  
rc0101

Books What Are You Reading?

So I was in a mood and wanted chick lit. Read Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult. Glad I got that out of my system for now. :lol: 

Really getting into The Templars by Dan Jones now and I’ve also started John Grisham’s new one, Camino Winds. 

I’m reading ‘Point B’ by Drew Magary, which is very enjoyable so far. Some of the characters are a bit much, but anyone who is familiar with Drew’s work will be able to see they are different aspects of his personality through the looking glass, so in a sense it works. I also think, given his Drewness, that he has written the narrator (a 17 year old queer girl) with surprising tenderness. It’s kind of funny to think of ex-Deadspinners reading this, but anyone who has liked his past stuff will like this. 

8 hours ago, Chris- said:

I’m reading ‘Point B’ by Drew Magary, which is very enjoyable so far. Some of the characters are a bit much, but anyone who is familiar with Drew’s work will be able to see they are different aspects of his personality through the looking glass, so in a sense it works. I also think, given his Drewness, that he has written the narrator (a 17 year old queer girl) with surprising tenderness. It’s kind of funny to think of ex-Deadspinners reading this, but anyone who has liked his past stuff will like this. 

I've been meaning to check this out. I read his other books and enjoyed them.

14 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I've been meaning to check this out. I read his other books and enjoyed them.

One of the things that is similar to The Postmortal is that he does a really good job of taking the technology in question to its logical conclusion, and highlighting all of the unintended consequences. Even stuff like ‘Hey, if a person suddenly teleported it would create a vacuum where their body was’, which is a detail I might not have otherwise thought of.  

Still working my way through The Templars, but I’m over halfway there. Also reading The Carrow Haunt by Darcy Coates. I really have enjoyed her ghost story novels for the most part. 

Working through a series of short stories featuring an avenger called Nameless that Dean Koontz did exclusively for Amazon.  

I drifted through a few books (the danger of having a lot to access with Kindle) but have settled on Masters of War, which is pretty much like every other historical fiction that I've read, but I'm still enjoying it. 

Finished both books I mentioned earlier. 

current reads: 

Fiction - Natchez Burning by Greg Iles 

nonfiction - All But My Life by Gerda Weissmann Klein 

Phew, blew through Natchez Burning quickly. I would have done it faster, if not for working three straight. It's almost 800 pages and the other two in the trilogy are just as long. Debating on if I wanna go right into the next one, because I'm dying to know how goes. Or maybe I'll read something a bit lighter before that.

I think for tonight, I'm just going to continue to read All But My Life, since it's gotten a bit neglected this week.

I decided to read Lock Every Door by Riley Sager. It should be a quick easy read before I move on to the heavier stuff and I wanted to read this one before my June BOTM pops up. If I like Sager, I may get one of his other books on BOTM.

I finished Masters of War and in it's genre (historical fiction) it was good, though no Iggulden, Mantel etc good. I will pick up the next book(s) if I see them somewhere cheap, but I won't rush. I wanted to get back into the Uthred books again, so I'm going to re-read (I assume, I literally can't remember if I have, or haven't) the Empty Throne and start working my way through the series. 

I also grabbed a random book from my shelf called The Long Take, which in it's own description is a noir narrative written with the intensive and power of poetry. I've read the first 15 pages and it's been good so far, but will be 250 odd pages of poetry about a WW2 veteran with PTSD. Nothing like reading out of your comfort zone.