What Are You Reading or Listening To?

I finished Wolf Hall, I really enjoyed it but I don't know if I felt the praise that adorned the first 5 pages of the novel was as justified as they believed. Maybe it needs a second read in a few years. 

I've just started on In a Free State and that's been pretty decent so far. 

33 minutes ago, Rev said:

Over the last few months, I've been on a litRPG kick that was started by reading Ready Player One, but I've also read a number of other books in between including a few books in the Ender's Game series and both Name of the Wind books.

if you are looking for some fun litrpgs check out Harmon Cooper's Fantasy Online series and his Feedback Loop series. 

30 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

if you are looking for some fun litrpgs check out Harmon Cooper's Fantasy Online series and his Feedback Loop series. 

Thanks. Looking at them now. They're shorter than I like but Audible has the first 3 Feedback Loop books in a set for one credit. 

So far in the litRPG genre, I've read (or listened to):

The Land (books 1-8)

The Gam3 (books 1-3)

Arcane Ascension (books 1-3)

Ascend Online (books 1-2)

Survival Quest (books 1-3)

All were pretty decent. I think The Land is really good but most people seem to hate it because the author is a douche. I think it's much better in audio book format. Nick Podehl really saves it imo.

16 hours ago, Rev said:

All were pretty decent. I think The Land is really good but most people seem to hate it because the author is a douche. I think it's much better in audio book format. Nick Podehl really saves it imo.

Haven't read them yet, though I have a few of them, just haven't gotten around to them yet, but I've also heard that many people think the author is an ass. That doesn't actually bother me much though. There are plenty of actors that I think are complete jackasses but I can still enjoy movies they are in, should be no different with writers and their books. Getting the first 3 feedback loop books for one credit is definitely a good deal. Quantum Hughes (lead character is a major badass) and I believe Jeff Hayes does the audio, and he and his crew at Soundbooth Theater do incredible work. The guy is the Mel Blanc of audiobooks. A book can have three dozen characters and he manages to give one of them a distinct voice. 

On 2/18/2020 at 9:56 AM, EternallDarkness said:

Haven't read them yet, though I have a few of them, just haven't gotten around to them yet, but I've also heard that many people think the author is an ass. That doesn't actually bother me much though. There are plenty of actors that I think are complete jackasses but I can still enjoy movies they are in, should be no different with writers and their books. Getting the first 3 feedback loop books for one credit is definitely a good deal. Quantum Hughes (lead character is a major badass) and I believe Jeff Hayes does the audio, and he and his crew at Soundbooth Theater do incredible work. The guy is the Mel Blanc of audiobooks. A book can have three dozen characters and he manages to give one of them a distinct voice. 

I actually finished the first book today and will start the second tomorrow. Hays was pretty good. I normally like a more fantasy-based setting with RPG stats but I'm having fun with it. Sort of reminds me of The Gam3 in ways.

If you try The Land (and I recommend it, despite that the author is a douche), definitely go with the audio books. Podehl is amazing and I tried to read one of the actual books and it was not nearly as good as with Podehl's voice acting and personality. 

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

I actually finished the first book today and will start the second tomorrow. Hays was pretty good. I normally like a more fantasy-based setting with RPG stats but I'm having fun with it. Sort of reminds me of The Gam3 in ways.

If you try The Land (and I recommend it, despite that the author is a douche), definitely go with the audio books. Podehl is amazing and I tried to read one of the actual books and it was not nearly as good as with Podehl's voice acting and personality. 

I'm a fan of Podehl's work, and I have the first few books in the Land series in both ebook and audio formats 

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

I'm a fan of Podehl's work, and I have the first few books in the Land series in both ebook and audio formats 

They're worth it. I'm actually going through them a second time now (I was halfway through the third book on my second time through and took a break to switch to Feedback Loop) because he just released a 9th book which will be out on audio soon. The author is a dick (calls himself the father of litRPG when he isn't even close, etc.) The MC is also kind of a douche but I like it. 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:12 PM, gamer.tv said:

I finished Wolf Hall, I really enjoyed it but I don't know if I felt the praise that adorned the first 5 pages of the novel was as justified as they believed. Maybe it needs a second read in a few years. 

I've just started on In a Free State and that's been pretty decent so far. 

It's been a very good book, though I've been horrendously busy with assignments, so I haven't touched it in a week or so. I'm flying to Edinburgh today though so I'll see if I can get some reading on the plane. 

I will admit though, with aforementioned assignments, I've read about 10 books in the last week - so I've still been reading.

Can't wait, just need to re-write an introduction and conclusion, find some more supporting evidence and write a reference list and I'll have finished this one off. Then on to some research!

This is my way of saying I won't be doing much else in the next two months except reading, writing, planning and crying. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Woo, starting Deathly Hallows tonight. Much as I love HP, I am ready to get back to books I've never read. 

I know exactly what you mean. Happens to me too when I do a series reread or a long movie series rewatch, as much as I much love the thing it feels like overload when consumed nonstop.  

I read Everything Under over the last week or so, great book...odd book. I've read a lot of 'nominated for...' books, so I've moved on to something a little less author-y and picked up The son who followed his father to Auschwitz and it's been good. After this, I'll have a think about whether I want to carry on with the Booker prize nominees as I've got loads of them, or maybe pick up a much longer book to have a go with (1000+ pages). 

To Speak for the Dead by Paul Levine, it's the first in a 14 or 15 book series. Legal thriller. It and the rest of the series have been sitting on my kindle for years. Enjoyed the heck out of it, will be jumping into the next book soon.

Hell Hound by Ken Greenhall….twisted little tale about a 'bad' dog, half the book told from the dog's point of view. Definitely a twisted story, but I enjoyed it. 

Finished the Boy Who Followed...

and it was a great narrative and it gave some very clear depictions of the day-to-day of the Holocaust. It wasn't necessarily a well-written book, but worth as a bit of historical narrative. I've decided to read Washington Black next and after three chapters, seems good to me. 

I'm reading Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. I guess it's sort of a classic, though I honestly don't understand its appeal. I've read all but the last maybe 100 pages and I'm only slogging through it because a few people I know consider it to be their favorite book, so I want to see if it eventually comes together. 

The humor only rarely tickles my funny bone, and most of the time it just seems like he's rambling and being verbose for the sake of style or to be quirky. Meh. 

On 3/14/2020 at 2:24 PM, CitizenVectron said:

Started The Name of the Wind last week and am about 1/3 through. Great book...but yeah, I'm already depressed that the third book isn't out, and maybe never will be. I might actually stop after the first book.

I was significantly annoyed when my friend recommended that I read the books and then found out there was no third one.

Hopefully though with isolation across the world, slack authors will get finishing.