What Are You Reading or Listening To?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 10:15 PM, rc0101 said:

Just started Sword of Kings by Bernard Cornwell

I've read quite a few of the 'Last Kingdom' series, but now after taking a break I can't remember which is the next book I need to read (my copies are spread out at my parents house, my mother/father in laws and mine so I have no clue). At some point, I'll bite the bullet and just buy a few and just see.

Finished The Guardians, really liked it. Grisham's best work in a few years. Still working on Summer of Blood, but I'm gonna read The Alice Network by Kate Quinn next. I've had it for a while and been meaning to read it. I like to switch around with genres.

Also, The Last Kingdom and The Witcher series I'm really wanting to get into. Haven't bought any of them yet, but it's only a matter of time...

On 11/1/2019 at 10:43 AM, gamer.tv said:

I've read quite a few of the 'Last Kingdom' series, but now after taking a break I can't remember which is the next book I need to read (my copies are spread out at my parents house, my mother/father in laws and mine so I have no clue). At some point, I'll bite the bullet and just buy a few and just see.

Yeah I really enjoy these books. The descriptions of the battles are really good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Fall of Berlin faster than I anticipated. Moving on to Stalin: Paradoxes of Power: 1878-1928 by Stephen Kotkin. I’ve had these biographies on my shelf for a while so I figured I should get around to reading the first two before the conclusion comes out one of these days. It’s probably gonna take me a while to get through them, though. 

For fiction, I’m reading No Second Chance by Harlan Coban. Coworker gave me the book a few weeks back. 

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

yeah I was surprised how much I liked it when I first read it. Was amazed how well King was able to craft that sequel after so long. 

Also agree, it has however been a while since I've read The Shining and it would be interesting to compare the two outside of the vague memory that I have of it. 

15 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

yeah Misery is one heck of  a trip and the movie actually manages to capture a good bit of the intensity

I will definitely be watching the movie in the near future. Love Kathy Bates. 

I’m still reading Stalin, but that’s gonna be a slower one, so I also started Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. It’s the last book of his I needed to read. Also reading Hunted by Darcy Coates on my Kindle. Currently at 60 books on the year, I’m definitely surpassing my total of 61 fro last year. 

• Like 1

I finished "Kokoro" by Natsume Sōseki. Not sure how I really feel about it. 3/5

This will give away the ending of the book.

The whole time Sensei keeps telling the main character that he is a bad person I was kind of like eh. That feeling remained even after he confessed that he is the reason that his friend killed himself and how ashamed he was because of the outcome. Honestly though, he made a rash decision, didn't know the depths of his friends depression, and took the blame on himself. I can see the guilt that would come with that, but that part that really pissed me off is that he tags his wife along for his miserable of a life journey and takes absolutely 0 blame for it.

Probably 1/2 way through the book they make a comment about how he would destroy himself to save his wife or something like that. Later on when he is writing his life story he says several times that his wife is "clean" and doesn't need to know about anything. You tag this woman along your whole life, who can see your depression, your guilt and you think your saving her by making her stay with you. If anything he ruined her life, they have no children, she spent her entire life taking care of you, and you cowardly kill yourself at the end of the book and think that you are keeping her clean. No one in the book seems to take any qualms with it either. It really rubbed me the wrong way, but I do have to admit, it made me hate Sensei just like he said it would.

I'm about halfway through This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger. Never read one of his books before, but this is good. Like it has the makings of a modern American classic. I actually bought it for my mom for Christmas, since she really loved Where the Crawdads Sing, but I also loved that one, so I wanted to read this, too. Fortunately, I take really good care of my books, so even if she cared(she doesn't) she wouldn't know it's been read once.

Finished This Tender Land last night and Under the Banner of Heaven today. Passed my total from last year, woo!

I decided to reread Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. I've read it probably a dozen times, but it's been at least a couple years and it's the only Christmas book I've ever really read. It's a nice hardcover copy my aunt got me for Christmas the year it came out. Beautiful cover. Brings back nostalgia for me.

I'm also gonna start Elevation by Stephen King. Looks to be different from a lot of his works and it's also really short. I'll have these two wrapped up quickly.

So I had to put Elevation on hold. Was reading at work last night and got to page 56 and the following page was 25. Like, 33 pages of the book after page 56 were a repeat of a prior section. It resumed on page 89 as if the prior 33 pages were as they were supposed to be. Never had that happen with a book before.

So while I wait for a replacement copy from Amazon(and I hope it was just a one off, not a huge bad batch) I started reading The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor. Already 97 pages into it, though it's a short book and starting off slow.

• Shocked 1

On 12/15/2019 at 5:28 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So I had to put Elevation on hold. Was reading at work last night and got to page 56 and the following page was 25. Like, 33 pages of the book after page 56 were a repeat of a prior section. It resumed on page 89 as if the prior 33 pages were as they were supposed to be. Never had that happen with a book before.

So while I wait for a replacement copy from Amazon(and I hope it was just a one off, not a huge bad batch) I started reading The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor. Already 97 pages into it, though it's a short book and starting off slow.

seeing you post about Elevation reminded me that I never read more than 20 pages before I set it down...and forgot where, lol, so last night I found it and restarted it.