What Are You Reading or Listening To?

I'm reading Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. Apparently it's a bit of a classic in the field. I'm only about 50 pages in but it's been really interesting to have another refresher on the anatomy of the brain and the impact of each region on one's emotions. 

I'm also still working on War on Peace by Ronan Farrow, with about 30 pages remaining. 

On 8/24/2018 at 10:14 AM, Nokra said:

I'm reading Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. Apparently it's a bit of a classic in the field. I'm only about 50 pages in but it's been really interesting to have another refresher on the anatomy of the brain and the impact of each region on one's emotions. 

I'm also still working on War on Peace by Ronan Farrow, with about 30 pages remaining. 

That's on my wishlist, let me know how you like it.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:28 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That's on my wishlist, let me know how you like it.

I finished this a couple days ago. I very much enjoyed it, and getting to look behind the curtain of diplomacy was illuminating. He says at the end that he conducted about 200 interviews for the book, including all living former Secretaries of State, and those kinds of insider insights were worth the read alone, IMO, not to mention his interview with Abdul Rashid Dostum. 

His central thesis, namely that the US is abdicating its global influence due to a focus on military solutions rather than diplomacy, and that the State Department is continually being gutted and sidelined, is probably not new information to anyone who was paying attention in recent decades, but personally I found the account of how we got here and his call for a return to this kind of old-school diplomacy to be very interesting and compelling. 

After reading a couple business and leadership type books, it kind of killed my enthusiasm for reading regularly, so I decided to get back into the habit by going back to some comfort food by re-reading Dune. One of my favorite current filmmakers (Denis Villeneuve) is going to try and adapt it, so I figured it would be a good time to revisit. The first maybe 10% of it I was thinking how quickly everything gets going. There's a lot going on, but it nicely straddles the line between too much exposition and having no freaking clue whats going on, though it's hard to judge when you already know the story. By the time I was halfway through, I didn't feel that way anymore. I couldn't believe where the story was after 50%, I feel like there's so much left. Supposedly the movie is going to be split into two parts, and if the first one only covers the first half the book, I'm dubious.

Anyways, I'm enjoying it. It's a classic and I love it, and it's gotten me back in the habit of daily reading again.

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

Tweaking to read the third ‘Kingkiller’ book, but I didn’t do the smart thing a buy it as I came near the end of the second.  I’ve got the Understudy by David Nichols, so I’ll read that as it’ll be funny or worth a go.

If you are referring to The Kingkiller Chronicles then unless you are from the future you do not have book 3 as it's STILL not freaking out or even have a damn release date yet! WTF Patrick?!?! You're slower than George Martin! It's been over 7 years since the release of A Wise Man's Fear. Now if you are referring to The Slow Regard of Silent Things you should probably know going in that it's more of a side story than anything else. It's not about Kvothe, but rather Auri. 

Thrawn: Alliances... loving that LFL is embracing Clone Wars era and giving us new stories once again with Anakin and Padme--it's probably the most interesting period of time in that universe. Next up, maybe Lost Stars. I'm trying to get through my backlog of Star Wars novels on my long work commute and I've almost caught up to the entire hardcover canon.

Now reading Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident, by Donnie Eichar.

It was an impulse buy when I saw it at the Amazon Bookstore in Chicago. I like reading on subjects like this and I'd vaguely remembered hearing/reading about this incident a long time ago, so I figured it'd be a good chance to learn more.

I'm still working my way through Red Famine, as well.

Currently at 43 books out of my goal of 50 for the year.

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

If you are referring to The Kingkiller Chronicles then unless you are from the future you do not have book 3 as it's STILL not freaking out or even have a damn release date yet! WTF Patrick?!?! You're slower than George Martin! It's been over 7 years since the release of A Wise Man's Fear. Now if you are referring to The Slow Regard of Silent Things you should probably know going in that it's more of a side story than anything else. It's not about Kvothe, but rather Auri. 

In that case, fuck.  Looks like I’ll move on to something else entirely then.  

Fuck.

In my sorrow, now reading Atonement (we've had it for years, but I've never bothered).  So far it's...OK.  I also have 12 Years a Slave which I picked up from a charity shop for the princely sum of 50p. 

I may also buy a few Discworld books on Friday as it's been a while and Mort will be good.

Why the sorrow, @gamer.tv ?  Did you mention it on the boards here somewhere?  :hug:

I'm currently reading Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue. It's about a Cameroonian man who comes to the US looking for opportunity and begins to work as the chauffeur for an executive of the Lehman Brothers right before the crash. He eventually brings his wife and son over and the book follows them all through the events of the crash. It's very highly rated on Goodreads (currently sitting at a 3.95/5.0) and I believe she may have won some awards for the book. I'm only about 45 pages in but it has already really grabbed my attention; her writing style is excellent, and you really feel for the man and his wife. 

2 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Nut, I'm curious do you ever read fiction? 

:raisedbrow:

20 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm finally closing in on finishing Red Famine. I also started up The Women in the Castle, by Jessica Shattuck. I'm a fan of WWII novels and a coworker gave it to me. She's always giving me stuff to read. 

:raisedbrow:

Didn't look it up, just figured that was a history book based on the WWII comment. Was just curious because I have a friend who loves movies/TV shows of all sorts but when it comes to books she tends to only read non-fiction, biographies actually. Just seemed like I always see you posting non-fiction and I was curious if you were the same way.

8 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Didn't look it up, just figured that was a history book based on the WWII comment. Was just curious because I have a friend who loves movies/TV shows of all sorts but when it comes to books she tends to only read non-fiction, biographies actually. Just seemed like I always see you posting non-fiction and I was curious if you were the same way.

Well, the term "novel" would imply fiction. :p And I actually posted another novel I recently read on the top of this page. 

The majority of what I read is nonfiction, but I do enjoy a good novel here and there.

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, the term "novel" would imply fiction. :p And I actually posted another novel I recently read on the top of this page. 

The majority of what I read is nonfiction, but I do enjoy a good novel here and there.

in general yes, however non-fiction novels are in fact a thing, often times used in relation to historical work, with the vast majority of the content being from historical data/records and the 'fictitious' part being bring that history to life. And that is what I thought you might have been referring to with the WWII book. 

I'm still working on the Cameroonian book I mentioned above (Behold the Dreamers) and really enjoying it, but I'm also reading three others.

The first is Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now by Jaron Lanier, of Silicon Valley fame. I heard about it on a podcast with the author (Waking Up with Sam Harris) and the discussion intrigued me so I bought it. Enjoying it so far, though his writing style is not especially to my liking and though I like his ideas, I wish he would extrapolate on them a bit. 

I'm also reading Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500 Year History by Kurt Andersen after being made aware of the book by @SFLUFAN. I'm not very far, maybe 50 pages in, but so far so good. Once I'm further or finished I'll give some more thoughts, if anyone cares.

Lastly, I'm reading The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee. It won the Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction in 2011 and I can see why. A thoroughly engaging and educational book on cancer, "its history and its future" as the author says. 

21 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's cool. :p

I read the Harry Potter series almost every year. I think I'm about to go through it again, since this the month of the 20th anniversary. 

I also read John Grisham's new novel every year. 

I burn through HP about every other year, also burn through The Dark Tower books about every other year as well.