What Are You Reading or Listening To?

• 2 weeks later...

Been away in Italy so had some reading time. Finished off the Falcon of Sparta which I enjoyed and felt like I’ve skimmed on some interesting elements of history. Also, in about a day read The Nickel Boys and really enjoyed it, partly as a story, just for how well written everything is. Now The Book of Dust and then it’s back book buying.

After nearly 4 months and 1472 pages, I've finished It! Really great book, sans that one scene toward the end. Can't wait to see the movie this weekend. 

I ended up starting a new book, another one a coworker gave me, called All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin. Modern setting, dealing with modern social issues. I like it so far.

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

After nearly 4 months and 1472 pages, I've finished It! Really great book, sans that one scene toward the end. Can't wait to see the movie this weekend. 

I ended up starting a new book, another one a coworker gave me, called All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin. Modern setting, dealing with modern social issues. I like it so far.

knew you could do it! Looking forward to seeing the movie this weekend as well, though I must admit I wasn't as blown away by the first one as many others were. 

currently working on Way of Gods, the 4th book in the Buried Goddess Saga

17 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

knew you could do it! Looking forward to seeing the movie this weekend as well, though I must admit I wasn't as blown away by the first one as many others were. 

currently working on Way of Gods, the 4th book in the Buried Goddess Saga

It felt so damn good to finally hit "I've finished this book!" and rate it on my Goodreads app. I've had other books I've been wanting to read, but I was determined to finish this one first.

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It felt so damn good to finally hit "I've finished this book!" and rate it on my Goodreads app. I've had other books I've been wanting to read, but I was determined to finish this one first.

I know what you mean. There have definitely been those books that I felt like I was reading forever and yet was determined not to give up and finish the dang thing. 

Blew through All We Ever Wanted in less than two days. 

Now reading two books: The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones. Been wanting to read this since I finished his book on the Plantagenet dynasty. I also started Matilda. I know it's a kids book, but I never read it back then and it's a classic. I loved the movie so much when I was a kid. It'll be a quick read.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Blew through All We Ever Wanted in less than two days. 

Now reading two books: The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones. Been wanting to read this since I finished his book on the Plantagenet dynasty. I also started Matilda. I know it's a kids book, but I never read it back then and it's a classic. I loved the movie so much when I was a kid. It'll be a quick read.

Dan has a book about the Crusades releasing on October 1.

43 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Trying to finish up Augmented by James Prescott tonight because tomorrow King's new one, The Institute, comes out. 

I kinda wanna read more of Stephen King, based on what I've read and liked of his, what would be another recommendation? I do have Misery on my Kindle that I plan on reading at some point. 

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I kinda wanna read more of Stephen King, based on what I've read and liked of his, what would be another recommendation? I do have Misery on my Kindle that I plan on reading at some point. 

I absolutely love The Dark Tower series, just know that The Gunslinger (the first in the series) was written very early in King's career and quite honestly it shows. While I enjoy it, I know a number of people who just couldn't get through it and so end up giving up on the series, which is a damn shame. The second book in the series The Drawing of the Three is definitely one of my all time favorites. I've read the crap out of that one. the first time I read it I read it in a single day, just couldn't put it down. 

Misery is one hell of a ride. 

Bag of Bones is another of my favorites and one I've read at least a half dozen times. 

The Shining is great, and if all you know of that one comes from the Nicholson movie then you don't really know the real story, as Jack is one hell of a conflicted and complex character. And of course the sequel Dr. Sleep is also an awesome book. I'll need to reread that one again before the movie comes out...just so I can be disappointed by the adaptation, lol. 

Duma Key is another excellent book. It's also a book I've read multiple times. 

And I have no idea what most people think of it, but I have a soft spot for The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. 

Now as for recommending another author. Since you enjoyed IT, which I definitely consider a somewhat coming of age story, I can't recommend Boy's Life by Robert McCammon enough. The book is pure magic, my absolute favorite, and somehow makes me feel nostalgia for a time when I wasn't even alive, lol. 

Thanks! What I know of the Dark Tower series, I've never been interested in reading it because it seems more fantasy oriented and they're also super long, right? 

However, I've had The Shining on my wishlist for a while and I've actually never seen the movie, so I don't have that to ruin it for me. I just always heard the book was bad in comparison to the movie. 

Bag of Bones looks like it could be a winner. I'll check it out. 

I'll check out your other mentions, too. 

I went into Barnes & Noble today and I got lost in the King section, it was overwhelming. Ended up buying a biography instead, lol. 

49 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Thanks! What I know of the Dark Tower series, I've never been interested in reading it because it seems more fantasy oriented and they're also super long, right? 

However, I've had The Shining on my wishlist for a while and I've actually never seen the movie, so I don't have that to ruin it for me. I just always heard the book was bad in comparison to the movie. 

I suppose you could say The Dark Tower is more fantasy oriented. I've never actually classified it into any single genre. Part western, part fantasy, touches of horror, dystopian. It touches on pretty much all genres, which I guess seems fitting as almost evert single book King has ever written also touches on the Tower saga. And yes indeed, several of the books are on the longer side, but they never feel bloated.

As for The Shinning being bad in comparison to the movie...NO NO NO it's the exact opposite. The movie is a fine horror film, but it's an insult to the source material. 

Can't believe I forgot to mention The Stand! It's a masterpiece, but it also happens to be his longest book, besting It by a dozen pages or so. 

Over halfway through Wars of the Roses, this is better than Game of Thrones. These history-based shows don't need to add fiction to make it interesting. The real thing is interesting enough.

For fiction, I'm reading Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward. I've had it a while, tried to start it a year or so ago, but didn't get far. But I liked another book of hers I read, so I'm giving this a go and I'm succeeding this time.

Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson

I finished up the Sprawl trilogy and I remain not a fan of Gibson's writing style. I think these are books that you have to read several times to really get an understanding of everything that is happening in them and I have no desire to go back to them. They are unquestionably massively influential works though. 

read The institute by King over the weekend. Not bad. Storywise it reminded me of Firestarter. I'm still scratching my head by one of the reviews I read that said it was his more terrifying book because there isn't an ounce of horror in the story. Initial reaction is for King it was enjoyable but not a standout. of course I typically reread most of kings stuff so who knows how I'll feel the next time I read it. 

14 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

While The Quiet Game is really good so far, I decided to also start on Educated by Tara Westover. I've had it on my Kindle for ages, but never got to it. I believe @Nokra really enjoyed it. Plus, I like reading on my Kindle in bed, so as not to disrupt my husband's sleep.

Yeah I read it (in paperback) earlier this year and really enjoyed it. For me there was probably at least some personal connection there, since I grew up only about 1.5-2 hours from where she did. My parents were not crazy Mormon fundamentalists though, praise Buddha. :p 

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did! I will certainly be interested in hearing your thoughts when you're done. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 10:28 AM, Nokra said:

Yeah I read it (in paperback) earlier this year and really enjoyed it. For me there was probably at least some personal connection there, since I grew up only about 1.5-2 hours from where she did. My parents were not crazy Mormon fundamentalists though, praise Buddha. :p 

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did! I will certainly be interested in hearing your thoughts when you're done. 

So I finished it early this morning. I gotta say, I feel...conflicted on this one. I wasn't as enamored with it as the general population seems to be. She's a good writer, though reading through her experiences, she comes across somewhat...ambivalent. I do believe she endured some abuse and neglect at the hands of her parents and her family is probably nuts to some point, but there were definitely times I felt seemed pretty farfetched. Like I have a hard time believing she received absolutely no education and was able to teach herself complex math and get a high ACT score to be accepted to BYU, then later Cambridge and Harvard. A family that shunned education yet produced three children with doctorates? And her father totally should have died if his injuries were accurately described. No way someone could be burned that bad and pull through with only homeopathic treatments.

Yeah, I just didn't feel quite right with this one.

Since it's October, I'm wanting some spooky stories and while I don't read much horror, I'm in a mood for it right now. I'm going to start The Invited by Jennifer McMahon. 

6 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I'm halfway through that one right now

I've never been much for horror, but the mood has hit me and I spent a while researching, trying to figure out what I wanted to read for the genre. This one kept popping up and a good ghost story/haunted house seemed right. The author looks to have some other interesting books I might pick up later if I like this one.

I also got my copy of The Shining in today, that might be my next read.