~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
rc0101

Books D1P, What Are You Reading?

The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin

This series kept popping up on my radar in unexpected places, so I decided to give it a chance. I got the first book, The Fifth Season, from the library a week or two ago. I typically have a hard time getting into "epic" fantasy or sci-fi, and I stumbled a bit here at first. But once I got a bit more familiar with the world and how it works, I got hooked. Read the last 300 or so pages of it on Wednesday, and when I saw that I was going to have to wait a while to get the second book from the library, I ordered the trilogy from Amazon. 

I'm reading Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene. It's been sitting on my shelf for a year so I'm finally getting to it. 

This isn't the first book of his that I've read, and I'm again reminded of how much I really love his writing. He writes in such a clear and manageable way that makes you feel like you're really understanding the material but without sacrificing much in the way of depth. It's a rather rare feat in science writing, in my experience. His fame as a science popularizer is well earned, IMO. 

I'm not too far along but it's hard to put down. Pretty impressive, I think, for a 40 year old science book! 

I actually started on two books in the last day. Going back to my old habit of reading a novel and a nonfiction at the same time. I chose:

Leadership in Turbulent Times, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. She's one of my favorite historians. 

White Rose, Black Forest, by Eoin Dempsey. It's a WWII novel and pretty short.