What Are You Reading or Listening To?

The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin

This series kept popping up on my radar in unexpected places, so I decided to give it a chance. I got the first book, The Fifth Season, from the library a week or two ago. I typically have a hard time getting into "epic" fantasy or sci-fi, and I stumbled a bit here at first. But once I got a bit more familiar with the world and how it works, I got hooked. Read the last 300 or so pages of it on Wednesday, and when I saw that I was going to have to wait a while to get the second book from the library, I ordered the trilogy from Amazon. 

I'm reading Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene. It's been sitting on my shelf for a year so I'm finally getting to it. 

This isn't the first book of his that I've read, and I'm again reminded of how much I really love his writing. He writes in such a clear and manageable way that makes you feel like you're really understanding the material but without sacrificing much in the way of depth. It's a rather rare feat in science writing, in my experience. His fame as a science popularizer is well earned, IMO. 

I'm not too far along but it's hard to put down. Pretty impressive, I think, for a 40 year old science book! 

Finished Leadership, now starting on Dear Martin by Nic Stone. It's a short novel, should get through it quickly. 

On 2/25/2019 at 2:50 PM, rc0101 said:

Just started Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege 1942-1943 by Anthony Beevor 

Fantastic book. It was my first book from Beevor. I've got most of his other books and plan on reading The Fall of Berlin next.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:30 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Finished Leadership, now starting on Dear Martin by Nic Stone. It's a short novel, should get through it quickly. 

Fantastic book. It was my first book from Beevor. I've got most of his other books and plan on reading The Fall of Berlin next.

That's good to hear! I'm about 45% done right now and am really enjoying it! There was a lot I didn't know. I'm excited to finish it and will probably check out his other books as well. 

8 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

That is perhaps the best single-volume history of the Civil War ever written and should be used to completely refute historical revisionists who claim that the conflict was about anything other than slavery.

With the official SFLUFAN endorsement, I have added this to my to-read list. :p 

So I'm probably going to regret posting this, but these are the books on my "to read" shelf...that spills over into the floor. I'm really, really trying to read a chunk of what I have before buying anything else, but there's so many great books out there!

spacer.png

spacer.png

In my defense, my shelves of books I've read is quite extensive!

• Like 1

Just finished Enemy of God the second book in the Warlord Trilogy. 

Loved jt every bit as much as the first book if not more. It continues to impress me how this series is being written as historical fiction all while keeping the character traits and spirit of the Mythological versions of Arthur, Merlin etc in tact. It doesn’t feel silly or out of place at all. The second book really swung more towards story’s the Myths could have been based on.  A lot more fantastical stuff whereas the first book was more straightforward medieval political drama. 

Its also pretty interesting how it bucks the normal trend of a cliff hanger with a lot of down notes as the second story in a trilogy. Obviously if it follows the tail of Arthur that stuff will come in the 3rd book but still kind of nice he didn’t try and force it to fit into conventional norms. 

Absolutely loving these books and can’t wait to start the 3rd one. 

I finished The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins and loved it throughout. I really enjoy his writing, whether it's scientific or more polemic, and this book has seemingly held up very well over the last 40 years. 

Next I'm going to read The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon for my book club. It is a sort of alternate history novel in which Israel failed in 1948 and so many Jews settled in a specially-designated district in Sitka, Alaska. After 60 years the territory is going to revert back to Alaskan control so their fate is once again up in the air. I'd heard the book is sort of a murder mystery with some funny characters. I'm looking forward to it. :D 

On 3/6/2019 at 10:16 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So I'm probably going to regret posting this, but these are the books on my "to read" shelf...that spills over into the floor. I'm really, really trying to read a chunk of what I have before buying anything else, but there's so many great books out there!

spacer.png

spacer.png

In my defense, my shelves of books I've read is quite extensive!

I've read well over half of those :p

Actually, in an effort to "de-clutter" my life, I'm getting rid of practically all of my physical books (even ones that I haven't read!), so if anyone is interested, I'd be more than happy to ship any to people that are interested - all they have to do is cover the post of postage!

If people want, I can take pictures of what I've put into boxes so far so you can select which ones you want!

@CastlevaniaNut18 - this might be of interest to you!

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Actually, in an effort to "de-clutter" my life, I'm getting rid of practically all of my physical books (even ones that I haven't read!), so if anyone is interested, I'd be more than happy to ship any to people that are interested - all they have to do is cover the post of postage!

If people want, I can take pictures of what I've put into boxes so far so you can select which ones you want!

Please do!

Oh, I forgot to update. I'm currently reading The Last Days of the Romanovs by Helen Rappaport and Closer than Blood by Gregg Olsen. The latter is a murder mystery on Kindle I got for cheap. Sometimes I like a quick modern novel without a ton of depth. I haven't been doing much of my alternating fiction/nonfiction lately, but I wanted a change of pace.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm finally getting around to reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Been meaning to do this one for a while. May take a while to get through it, it's a long one. Got about 30 pages in last night.

I'll be curious to know what you think of it. I started it and then accidentally left my copy in the US. :facepalm:

19 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'll be curious to know what you think of it. I started it and then accidentally left my copy in the US. :facepalm:

Will do. So far I like what I've read. Definitely heavy on the Old Testament allegories. But I can tell it'll be a slow, ponderous sort of book. One I might take a short break from and read something a bit lighter for a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...