What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Almost finished with Brave New World. I set my Goodreads challenge at the very ambitious goal of 52 for the year, about one a week.

But, like I said, I would really like to get a lot of reading done this year. I think I want to give the Wheel of Time it's first reread since I finished the last one in 2013, so that's 14 or 15 books right there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails by Sarah Bakewell. It's a sort of combination introduction or overview of the existentialist philosophy as well as a biography of Jean-Paul Sartre, Martin Heidegger, Albert Camus, etc. I'm only about 60 pages in but I'm finding it pretty interesting. It's very well written and at least Heidegger was actually here in Freiburg, the city in Germany in which I currently live. 

For my book club we're going to be reading Asymmetry by Lisa Halliday, which the description suggests is largely about "inequities in age, power, talent, wealth, fame, geography, and justice.". :shrug: 

Just finished The Winter King.

Absolutely loved it. Usually I’m not a fan of “real world” versions of mythology but this was so cleverly written. A lot of the magic and stories from actual Arthurian mythology are addressed during the “modern” story telling parts or cleverly referenced during the story. It also helps that I think Cornwell is one of the most talented battle writers(I don’t know how else to describe this) ever. 

11 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Absolutely loved it. Usually I’m not a fan of “real world” versions of mythology but this was so cleverly written. A lot of the magic and stories from actual Arthurian mythology are addressed during the “modern” story telling parts or cleverly referenced during the story. It also helps that I think Cornwell is one of the most talented battle writers(I don’t know how else to describe this) ever. 

One of my favorites.

Mythos by Stephen Fry, of which I'm probably 20 pages from the end.  I have loved it and the way in which the mythology of the Greek Gods was almost modernized, explained and told was just lovely.  I'll definitely be picking up Heroes at some point, though next on the list I think will be Sapiens - then I need to do a check through the books that we own and see what needs to go and what needs to be read. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Started a book for the second time in  over a month?

Yeah, I stopped Indianapolis and read RPO because I had watched the movie again and my son kept begging me to read the book.  

I have a problem with jumping from book to book before I finish them.  

I’m also reading In Cold Blood.  

3 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Yeah, I stopped Indianapolis and read RPO because I had watched the movie again and my son kept begging me to read the book.  

I have a problem with jumping from book to book before I finish them.  

I’m also reading In Cold Blood.  

It was your post that inspired me to finally pull Indianapolis off my shelf and read it. It was quite good.

In Cold Blood is pretty good, I read that one years ago, though it took me a bit to get into it.

I've had Ready Player One on my Kindle for years, actually since Emblazon told me to read it. But I never have and I'm not sure if I ever will to be honest.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It was your post that inspired me to finally pull Indianapolis off my shelf and read it. It was quite good.

In Cold Blood is pretty good, I read that one years ago, though it took me a bit to get into it.

I've had Ready Player One on my Kindle for years, actually since Emblazon told me to read it. But I never have and I'm not sure if I ever will to be honest.

You should seriously read RPO.  Especially being an avid gamer.  

6 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Mythos by Stephen Fry, of which I'm probably 20 pages from the end.  I have loved it and the way in which the mythology of the Greek Gods was almost modernized, explained and told was just lovely.  I'll definitely be picking up Heroes at some point, though next on the list I think will be Sapiens - then I need to do a check through the books that we own and see what needs to go and what needs to be read. 

It's like you're looking at my bookshelf. :daydream:

b3OZiBD.jpg

I took a small break from reading because I was spending more free time playing some games the past week. I got kinda stuck about three fourths of the way through Logan's Run. But I powered through tonight. Also finally read The Road, which I had been hearing about for so long.

Now I have to decide whether to start The Xenocide, Logan's World, or something else.

On 2/6/2019 at 5:02 AM, Mercury33 said:

Man I really loved that series