Ellen Page Comes Out as Elliot Page

They have come out as non-binary and transgender

Oscar-nominated Juno actor and star of Umbrella Academy Elliot Page has come out as a non-binary and transgender.  Many may know them as Ellen Page, however, from here on out, the public should refer to them as Elliot Page. The actor shared their experience on their Instagram page.

“I want to share with you that I am trans, my pronouns are he/they and my name is Elliot,” said Page. I feel lucky to be writing this. To be here. To have arrived at this place in my life.”

Page was very candid about sharing their experience, saying that they are overwhelmed with gratitude for the support they are receiving during this journey. “I can’t begin to express how remarkable it feels to finally love who I am enough to pursue my authentic self,” they said.

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

One of my roommates is a "they/them" person. I've learned it's much easier to call them by their name. Much less awkward in conversation.

I don't yet understand the 'they' part, just because I use that to refer to multiple people. I completely understand he/him.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I don't yet understand the 'they' part, just because I use that to refer to multiple people. I completely understand he/him.

social-share.png
APASTYLE.APA.ORG

The singular “they” is a generic third-person singular pronoun in English. Use of the singular “they” is endorsed as part of APA Style because it is inclusive of all people and helps writers avoid making assumptions about gender.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SaysWho? said:

It's for people that don't necessarily identify as male or female, and western languages don't have gender neutral pronouns other than "it," which is undesirable to use for obvious reasons.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I read a novel the other day where one of the characters used they/them. You notice it at first, then it becomes natural.

Blame English for not having a gender neutral language like other languages do.

Much like Spanish. :p

But for real, singular they is not a big deal. We should use that more because it's neat and clean and a decent starting point if someone's presentation isn't clear. 

Also, we can just call people by their names. 

I feel like singular they has been pretty standard on internet forums for a while now, no? Going back before there was the whole big push about pronouns? Trans/nonbinary issues aside, it's an easy way to avoid all of your comments assuming that everyone on the internet is a dude, which by itself is a good reason to use it.

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

social-share.png
APASTYLE.APA.ORG

The singular “they” is a generic third-person singular pronoun in English. Use of the singular “they” is endorsed as part of APA Style because it is inclusive of all people and helps writers avoid making assumptions about gender.

I was definitely told in college I had to use his/her instead of they. Still pissed about it!

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I was definitely told in college I had to use his/her instead of they. Still pissed about it!

I got fucking chewed out once for citing either Wikipedia or Wikiquote for a Monty Python quote. I'd been in college for less than a month (and adding to the fun of this experience, you're not technically fully in until the end of that first month, you can wash out without ever technically matriculating!) and I didn't realize you could put "I watched the movie and transcribed this myself" as your source. :lol:

Like, I knew you're not supposed to cite Wikipedia, but literally all of the other links I was finding were even worse to be putting in a college paper, so not knowing I could just transcribe it myself I figured it seemed like the least-bad option. And it wasn't just a gentle "I'm docking a couple of points, don't do this in college", it was seriously lecturing me about it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Good for Elliot. I never was a huge fan of their movies. I never totally got the hype around Juno. 

I haven't seen Juno and I don't think I've ever actually seen any of his other movies either, at least not that I can recall.  But Umbrella Academy is so good.

Hopefully this helps others feel more comfortable.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

I got fucking chewed out once for citing either Wikipedia or Wikiquote for a Monty Python quote. I'd been in college for less than a month (and adding to the fun of this experience, you're not technically fully in until the end of that first month, you can wash out without ever technically matriculating!) and I didn't realize you could put "I watched the movie and transcribed this myself" as your source. :lol:

Like, I knew you're not supposed to cite Wikipedia, but literally all of the other links I was finding were even worse to be putting in a college paper, so not knowing I could just transcribe it myself I figured it seemed like the least-bad option. And it wasn't just a gentle "I'm docking a couple of points, don't do this in college", it was seriously lecturing me about it.

Wikipedia hate is mostly old guard. Unless you're also opposed to citing encyclopedias, Wikipedia is just as good.

But the trick I use to tell people about Wikipedia when there was a rule against it is a good Wikipedia article cites its own sources and you can just follow those, verify it, and cite it yourself. So you can basically let Wikipedia do your research for you. In this case, I'm guessing it was just the original source though :p 

10 minutes ago, legend said:

Hopefully this helps others feel more comfortable.

Wikipedia hate is mostly old guard. Unless you're also opposed to citing encyclopedias, Wikipedia is just as good.

But the trick I use to tell people about Wikipedia when there was a rule against it is a good Wikipedia article cites its own sources and you can just follow those, verify it, and cite it yourself. So you can basically let Wikipedia do your research for you. In this case, I'm guessing it was just the original source though :p 

Have you actually tried doing that anytime recently? Sooooo many fucking dead links in Wikipedia citations sections. :(

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Will they show up in the wayback machine?

Sometimes yes sometimes no. If it was a media-heavy link that could show up but be borked if all the media wasn't grabbed. Plus it's a lot less useful to have to first put all those dead links through the wayback machine to see if it ever cached the site. Plus I've seen pages completely change between wayback machine caches.

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

social-share.png
APASTYLE.APA.ORG

15 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's for people that don't necessarily identify as male or female, and western languages don't have gender neutral pronouns other than "it," which is undesirable to use for obvious reasons.

14 hours ago, SimpleG said:

I was gonna ask the same question as @SaysWho?

Thanks for answering 

Thanks for the answers. I can kind of see this in general since people will use 'they' when saying something like, "I don't know who ate my food in the employees' lounge, but they shouldn't have," or even to refer to this, "I just familiarized myself with how someone trans wants to be called, and I'll call them whatever they want," and it's usually if you don't know who someone is or are talking in the general sense.

I'd rather just use a new term entirely if APA/Websters/whatever could think of one since if you know the person, it still seems strange to use a singular 'they' when the most commonly used way to use it is for multiple people, but until then, if that's how the person wants to be called, then that's what they're called.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'd rather just use a new term entirely if APA/Websters/whatever could think of one since if you know the person, it still seems strange to use a singular 'they' when the most commonly used way to use it is for multiple people, but until then, if that's how the person wants to be called, then that's what they're called.

German (and remember, English is a Germanic language) uses the same exact word for "she" and "they". Which I'm guessing is why singular they goes back as far as the 14th century like @Commissar SFLUFAN was mentioning, when English was still way more blatantly Germanic.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CayceG said:

Much like Spanish. :p

But for real, singular they is not a big deal. We should use that more because it's neat and clean and a decent starting point if someone's presentation isn't clear. 

Also, we can just call people by their names. 

Maybe I misinterpreted, but isn't elle the gender neutral pronoun there? Ella/El are female/male?

@Joe-bi-wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.