I finally did it, after years of posting about it, I've bought a Nintendo Switch.

gamer.tv

Like all Nintendo fans, I was interested in the Switch from the first announcement trailer, but I've never been one to get a console at release, so I initially planned on waiting. Then, due to a wedding, returning to higher education and having a baby, the idea of getting one kept being pushed back in favour of more sensible things (a new bathroom, fixing the car, paying for the dogs vets bills etc).

But it finally felt like the right time to get one - now I have a full time job, the house is in a reasonable state, most things are taken care of - and I was hoping there would be a few Black Friday deals to help out. 

Well, in the UK at least, that didn't happen. There are a few games, but for the console the only thing that was reduced was the number of console actually available. In fact, due to national lockdown, there wasn't actually anywhere within 50 miles that I could go and collect one after buying online. So, I've opted for the classic next day delivery and tomorrow I should hopefully be the recipient of a Neon Switch, Ring Fit Adventure and Super Mario Odyssey.

Now the main point of the thread, what games should I be looking at straight away? I've already played (and nearly finished) Breath of the Wild on Wii U and I have my eyes on Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 (despite playing a huge amount again on the Wii U), Luigi's Mansion 3 and maybe Splatoon 2...but what else should I add to my list? 

Congrats! Consider these pick-ups:

Mario x Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Octopath Traveler 

Astral Chain

ULTRA Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

Monster Hunter Generations ULTIMATE

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

MARVEL: Ultimate Alliance 3

and consider pre-ordering:

Bayonetta 3

No More Heroes 3

Monster Hunter Rise

Bravely Default II

• Like 1

Congrats. I always want to shout out the Super Robot Wars series. You either need to buy an import copy or set up a Hong Kong eshop account but if you are a mecha anime fan it's worth it. 

Think fire emblem but you units don't die and they are mecha/xharacters from mecha anime.

Thanks everyone so far. I've got Links Awakening on a Christmas list, so hopefully I will get that and I noticed that I was credited some money for my purchase, so grabbed 3 months of Nintendo Online, so I'll get Tetris 99 tomorrow (along with trying out some of the SNES games). 

Fire Emblem is definitely on the list and I'll have a peruse of the Indie games available and grab a few. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Switch is also a good platform for indies since you they're not maxing out the Switch and you can take it everywhere. Hades and Untitled Goose Game, for instance. 

100% ... Switch has been my go-to indie platform. Nintendo has been pretty good about the consistent sales as well.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Indies cost too much on Switch though.  I mainly buy them on PC unless it’s an addictive run game that plays well on the analog stick (Slay the Spire, Hades).

Indies tend to be a lot cheaper to boot though. I think paying a little extra compared to buying an indie on a Steam sale is worth being able to take the game wherever. Also the eShop itself may not have much in the way of sales but play your cards right and you can get eShop credit at a discount (example).

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

Indies tend to be a lot cheaper to boot though. I think paying a little extra compared to buying an indie on a Steam sale is worth being able to take the game wherever. Also the eShop itself may not have much in the way of sales but play your cards right and you can get eShop credit at a discount (example).

More Switch indies should have demos, IMO.  With those prices it’s still more of a barrier just to jump in.  Then again, the giveaways and promotional libraries on other platforms kind of serve that function anyways.

After years of waiting for the Pro version, I too also broke down and bought one this Black Friday season.   I mainly want to play Hyrule Warriors and try out the Mario Kart Live Home Circuit.  Also banking on the fact Breath of the Wild 2 will come out in 12-16 months, but I also have a sneaking suspicion that is also when they will bring out a Pro Switch.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:13 PM, gamer.tv said:

My sadness that despite purchasing everything at 1pm on a Friday, it's not 7pm on Saturday and my order is showing as 'unshipped'. I might be asking for that £9.99 delivery fee back. 

It has arrived! Technically I could leave work at 3:30pm, but I've got so much to prepare I can't really do that - so I'll be home at 6:30pm instead, play with my daughter and then...maybe, give the Switch a go. 

Enjoy the Switch!  Even with its quirks, it's one of my favorite systems I've ever owned.

Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, and Splatoon 2 are all best-of-the-best games, and I would put SMO and Luigi's Mansion 3 up there with the all-time great Nintendo games.  If you didn't get any of the DLC on Wii U, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe includes both extra cups and 200cc mode, which was enough for me to purchase it again.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:05 PM, GameDadGrant said:

Oh snap!

Though last I checked pre-orders for that were not available yet. Has that changed?

Im just against preordering games in general, unless its a special edition that will be limited. 

otherwise, I can’t remember the last time a console game sold out. Especially with digital games becoming the norm.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Nice save attempt but this is a personal thread for @gamer.tv not anyone else. :nottalking:

I shared an uncommonly great Switch game deal in a recent thread about purchasing Switch games.  What's to "save"? 

Stop being a Scrooge.  I already had to clarify that your gif didn't mean the deal was gone.  It's brand new.

39 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Stop being a Scrooge.  I already had to clarify that your gif didn't mean the deal was gone.  It's brand new.

My gif was only applying to the OP who already bought and is playing the game. Nowhere did you state "Everyone else who is not the OP here is a deal"

Also, I'm not being a scrooge, you're just being Mr. Serous.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My gif was only applying to the OP who already bought and is playing the game. Nowhere did you state "Everyone else who is not the OP here is a deal"

Also, I'm not being a scrooge, you're just being Mr. Serous.

Should I have had to?  No.  It’s self evident that a deal will apply only to those interested. 

Stop playing thread police / backseat moderator.