Anonymous poster details how Nintendo has hurt the Smash community.

CastletonSnob

Lol Nintendo is the most anti-consumer company in gaming. On top of that, the switch is made by literal human slaves from the Uighar Muslims in China. Thats why I laugh at Resetera complaining about CDpR is transphobic and some members want yhreads about them banned, but none will call for a boycott of a company using slave labor that has been reported on and fact checked. 

In general the Japanese are extremely racist and xenophobic, and ignore anything that doesn’t directly affect them.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I didn’t read it but is the basic conclusion that Nintendo didn’t allow them to have sex with minors in between matches? I can’t think of anything that would hurt the Smash community more than that anyway.

Looks like Nintendo won't cooperate with any other entities for Smash events and only want to do their own thing and they don't do any things.

On the one hand, Nintendo has a history of completely not understanding their own community. On the other...the Smash community is a vile and toxic place with a history of misogyny, verbal abuse, and sexual harassment...so maybe they do understand it, and are trying to avoid it. Honestly, in this situation there are no good guys.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

On the one hand, Nintendo has a history of completely not understanding their own community. On the other...the Smash community is a vile and toxic place with a history of misogyny, verbal abuse, and sexual harassment...so maybe they do understand it, and are trying to avoid it. Honestly, in this situation there are no good guys.

Every single community has vile and toxic people, and you know damn well thats not why Nintendo does this. Nintendo has a long history of going after fans and communities, and it’s disgusting. Nintendo is far worse than and gaming community. Its not just anti-consumer policies either. 

and they aren’t “avoiding” it, they are directly trying to harm the community. 

I wish fans had the money to take them to court, because their latest attack on Skippy is absolutely illegal. They cant make rules about where their games can be played, and backing up games is legal. They can stop it being advertised, but thats it. They have no say on how or where the games are played outside of that.

And again, slave labor...

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Every single community has vile and toxic people, and you know damn well thats not why Nintendo does this. Nintendo has a long history of going after fans and communities, and it’s disgusting. Nintendo is far worse than and gaming community. Its not just anti-consumer policies either. 

and they aren’t “avoiding” it, they are directly trying to harm the community. 

I wish fans had the money to take them to court, because their latest attack on Skippy is absolutely illegal. They cant make rules about where their games can be played, and backing up games is legal. They can stop it being advertised, but thats it. They have no say on how or where the games are played outside of that.

Slave labour? You have sources for that. Also, the anti-trans complaints against CDPR are definitely valid and worthy of complaint.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Slave labour? You have sources for that. Also, the anti-trans complaints against CDPR are definitely valid and worthy of complaint.

Yes, its been reported on multiple times. There use to be a stickied thread about it on era. And yes, CDPR has problems, absolutely. But don’t tell me that anything they’ve done is worse than using slave labor.

Oh, Sony and MS too! Didn’t know they were implicated. 
multiple other sites reported it too, I just grabbed the first.

1280x720.jpg
WWW.NINTENDOLIFE.COM

Along with 83 other companies, including Sony and Microsoft - A new report by the US State Department-funded Australian St...

• Thanks 1

Bad Nintendo -- don't want to let pedophiles and sex abusers make money off your game.  SHAME.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Yes, its been reported on multiple times. There use to be a stickied thread about it on era. And yes, CDPR has problems, absolutely. But don’t tell me that anything they’ve done is worse than using slave labor.

Oh, Sony and MS too! Didn’t know they were implicated. 
multiple other sites reported it too, I just grabbed the first.

1280x720.jpg
WWW.NINTENDOLIFE.COM

Along with 83 other companies, including Sony and Microsoft - A new report by the US State Department-funded Australian St...

There is no implication in that link that Nintendo ever used slave labour.  

19 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Bad Nintendo -- don't want to let pedophiles and sex abusers make money off your game.  SHAME.

In fairness, Nintendo’s been terrible about this before there was ever a (known) problem.

They’ve also resorted to shutting down online tournaments now.  They didn’t appreciate fans hacking in good netcode during Covid.

I think it's pretty clear that Nintendo would rather not have a competitive scene, but there are a bunch of reasons that they don't do more to actively shut it down. The bad PR the obvious cost, but I think there is a legal question that they'd rather not step into. My understanding is that while various publishers have claimed pretty broad rights to prohibit both in person events and streams of their games, I don't think it's ever been tested in court. If I were to bet, I'd guess that the publishers would likely win most of those battles, especially when it comes to using their game in any kind of promotional materials, but I do think there's a possibility that a court could decide that game streams in particular constitute fair use. Right now they operate under an assumption they'd win such a battle, so any actual decision could only hurt them.

Regardless of why Nintendo doesn't want a competitive smash scene to exist, I don't think you need any inside information to show that's the case.

Man the takes in this thread are depressing. People in the scene have dedicated years of their lives to the game and the community surrounding it, but everyone on the outside wants to latch onto the sexual abuse incidents and cheer Nintendo on for trying to stifle a community that is passionate about their games.

13 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There is no implication in that link that Nintendo ever used slave labour.  

Literally the first paragraph:

A new report by the US State Department-funded Australian Strategic Policy Institute has discovered that at least 83 companies are directly or indirectly linked to Chinese forced labour camps when it comes to the creation of their products – and Nintendo is one of the firms named, alongside Sony and Microsoft.

The Chinese camps are where Uyghur – a Turkic minority ethnic group – and other ethnic minorities are forced to work under unethical conditions, as well as being subjected to intimidation and threats, constant surveillance, a ban on religious practices, political indoctrination and excessive working hours. Their freedom of movement is also restricted and there are reports that threats are routinely made against family members if workers do not comply willingly.

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Literally the first paragraph:

A new report by the US State Department-funded Australian Strategic Policy Institute has discovered that at least 83 companies are directly or indirectly linked to Chinese forced labour camps when it comes to the creation of their products – and Nintendo is one of the firms named, alongside Sony and Microsoft.

The Chinese camps are where Uyghur – a Turkic minority ethnic group – and other ethnic minorities are forced to work under unethical conditions, as well as being subjected to intimidation and threats, constant surveillance, a ban on religious practices, political indoctrination and excessive working hours. Their freedom of movement is also restricted and there are reports that threats are routinely made against family members if workers do not comply willingly.

It never states Nintendo used slave labour.  That report states:

"On 17 May 2018, 105 Uyghur workers were transferred from Keriya county, Xinjiang, to Hubei Yihong Precision Manufacturing Co. Ltd in Xianning, Hubei province"

"According to their website, Dongguan Yidong Electronic Co. Ltd supply directly to BYD, Goertek, Mitsumi, TDK, Toshiba, BOE and Kyocera. It claims their end customers include Apple, Cisco, General Electric, Google, Haier, HP, Huawei, Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Nintendo, Oculus, Oppo, Panasonic, Samsung, Siemens, Sony, and ZTE.  A spokesperson from General Electric said that the company has no record of ever having used Hubei Yihong or their subsidiary as a direct supplier. Hubei Yihong has taken down its company webpage since the publication of this report. Haier said the company is not in its supplier database. BYD advises it has no ties to Hubei Yihong and has never used it in its supply chain."

So some guy in Australia surfs some websites of Chinese electrical companies, who make claims that some of their components end up in products made by numerous companies, perhaps Nintendo.  In the case of the allegations against Nintendo-- they never went to the plant to confirm conditions, talked to any of the workers, identified any of the parts made by those workers, or confirmed that any part from that plant was actually in a Nintendo product.

So essentially, a supplier of a supplier of Nintendo may have had people in their plant who may have worked under conditions that "strongly suggest forced labour".  (Which, BTW, is different than slavery.)

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It never states Nintendo used slave labour.  That report states:

"On 17 May 2018, 105 Uyghur workers were transferred from Keriya county, Xinjiang, to Hubei Yihong Precision Manufacturing Co. Ltd in Xianning, Hubei province"

"According to their website, Dongguan Yidong Electronic Co. Ltd supply directly to BYD, Goertek, Mitsumi, TDK, Toshiba, BOE and Kyocera. It claims their end customers include Apple, Cisco, General Electric, Google, Haier, HP, Huawei, Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Nintendo, Oculus, Oppo, Panasonic, Samsung, Siemens, Sony, and ZTE.  A spokesperson from General Electric said that the company has no record of ever having used Hubei Yihong or their subsidiary as a direct supplier. Hubei Yihong has taken down its company webpage since the publication of this report. Haier said the company is not in its supplier database. BYD advises it has no ties to Hubei Yihong and has never used it in its supply chain."

So some guy in Australia surfs some websites of Chinese electrical companies, who make claims that some of their components end up in products made by numerous companies, perhaps Nintendo.  In the case of the allegations against Nintendo-- they never went to the plant to confirm conditions, talked to any of the workers, identified any of the parts made by those workers, or confirmed that any part from that plant was actually in a Nintendo product.

So essentially, a supplier of a supplier of Nintendo may have had people in their plant who may have worked under conditions that "strongly suggest forced labour".  (Which, BTW, is different than slavery.)

Just go look at the Australian DOJ report. Im not going to argue. And you act like its not a problem because its not directly them employing the workers? Thats absurd. Anyone who profits off slave labor is complicit. 

and forced labor isn’t slavery? Jesus Christ man, pull your head out of your ass. 

18 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Just go look at the Australian DOJ report. Im not going to argue. And you act like its not a problem because its not directly them employing the workers? Thats absurd. Anyone who profits off slave labor is complicit. 

and forced labor isn’t slavery? Jesus Christ man, pull your head out of your ass. 

He’s not saying it’s not an issue. He’s just addressing that you pretty strongly accused Nintendo of willingly being supportive of and using slave labor. He was just pointing out that none of the stuff you posted really confirms that allegation. 

Im not trying to jump on either side. I’m sure Nintendo, like most huge companies, does some shitty stuff both knowingly and unknowingly. 

On 11/25/2020 at 1:29 PM, BloodyHell said:

I am assuming you meant Slippy and the Big house. It was Nintendo sponsored event and there is no way in hell they are  going to sponsor a tournament that involves using a 3rd party software with backed up iso's to run.  And as far as I know they didnt say you cant play it , they just wont sponsor it or allow it to be streamed. I hate to see the FGC get beat on but Smash fans need to understand they are in a toxic relationship with Nintendo , Nintendo doesnt see them or the games worthy of its love but it will take the fans money all day.