Amazon Studios picks up fan favorite sci-fi series The Expanse for sixth and final season; Game of Thrones in Space all the way to the end!

Massdriver

It appears that they are going to try to condense 3 books into 1 season. Can they do it without destroying the pacing and rhythm of the show? I can't answer that since I haven't read the books, but some fans aren't happy right now.

Cas Anvar, who’s played Alex since the first season, will not be joining them for the final season—following a string of sexual misconduct allegations earlier this year. As of now, it’s unclear how much Anvar will be present in season five or how the series will address his departure in the final chapter.

This sucks but it's necessary. I wonder if this played a part in Amazon's decision.

PRESS.AMAZONSTUDIOS.COM

The season renewal comes ahead of the series’ 5th season, which will debut December 16 on Amazon Prime Video

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Are they compressing things because they had to fire Anvar, or did you just happen to throw both pieces of information ITT?

I happened to throw both pieces of information ITT. I wonder if it played a role, but I doubt it. 

I'm just disappointed that such a great show may end up being rushed and ruined at the end. :(

1 minute ago, legend said:

Condensing 3 books sounds like a great way to ruin a great show.

My friend who's read the books says they advance the timeline 30 years between books 6 and 7, and that he could see them maybe just ending the show roughly at the end of book 6.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Super psyched. I love this show but I’m also perfectly ready for it to wrap up. Really hoping they stick the landing. 

Same, I feel like regardless of what is left to do in the books, they have put the story and characters in a place where they can finish the thing in a satisfying way.

If they don’t it really is just a failure of the show runners, not the lack of more seasons.

45 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Same, I feel like regardless of what is left to do in the books, they have put the story and characters in a place where they can finish the thing in a satisfying way.

If they don’t it really is just a failure of the show runners, not the lack of more seasons.

Everything I have read suggests that Season/Book 6 is a natural stopping point (I haven't read any story spoilers).

Spoiler

A friend told me there is a 30-year time gap between book 6 and 7, so they, in theory at least, could be made into a TV show at a later date.

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Everything I have read suggests that Season/Book 6 is a natural stopping point (I haven't read any story spoilers).

Reveal hidden contents

That sounds similar to how they’re ending The Last Kingdom. There’s a similar natural stopping point. Although that show is getting a movie which I presume will take care of the later books that the show is skipping.