The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Those quotes are from the game, but that sounded like Pascal and Ramsey doing American accents, not the original VO. 

I'm aware those are lines from the game, but it didn't sound like Pascal at all, it sounded like Troy Baker. 

36 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm aware those are lines from the game, but it didn't sound like Pascal at all, it sounded like Troy Baker. 

If you listen to the two back to back, it’s easy to tell that they’re different. It seems like he’s trying to stick really close to Baker though, and given this extremely small sample size, it seems like he nailed it. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

so he did a good job then?

I guess? It just didn't seem like that was him since it sounded so much like Baker, and the lip sync seems a bit off to me in that video. I'm looking forward to seeing a much longer look at his performance. I wonder when the first proper trailer will release. 

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That looks "fine", but I still can't help feeling that re-telling the story of Joel and Ellie represents a missed opportunity to expand the universe of The Last of Us.

Im kinda hoping they tell the story of the game in season 1 and then go their own way in the universe after that. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Hmm...that didn't really grab me. It kinda looked low budget imo. I'll have to wait and see.

I had the same thought... some of those shots looked REALLY cheap. Not sure if it was the lighting or not, but nowadays you can't get away with skimmping on production value with these types of shows. I also feel like retelling the story of the first game is a missed opportunity but I get it. Not EVERYONE has played the games. Hopefully once they get past Last of Us 2, they go in. their own direction. Another thing this show needs to do is set itself apart from The Walking Dead. They have to be REALLY mindful of not hitting the same beats as that show.

• True 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Hmm...that didn't really grab me. It kinda looked low budget imo. I'll have to wait and see.

I didn’t really get that same vibe from it, I thought that the budget looked fine. :shrug:

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That looks "fine", but I still can't help feeling that re-telling the story of Joel and Ellie represents a missed opportunity to expand the universe of The Last of Us.

I expect the first season to be a live action retelling of Joel and Ellie’s story since that’s what will make it The Last of Us instead of just another zombie apocalypse show, but eventually they’ll have to expand the universe beyond that because there’s only two games to take story content from.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Im kinda hoping they tell the story of the game in season 1 and then go their own way in the universe after that. 

That’s pretty much what they’ll have to do if they plan on this being more than one season, because there’s only two games to take story content from.

54 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I also feel like retelling the story of the first game is a missed opportunity but I get it. Not EVERYONE has played the games. Hopefully once they get past Last of Us 2, they go in. their own direction.

As someone who has played the games, I’m still interested in seeing a live action retelling of them. But like I said before, there’s only two games worth of story content so they’ll have no choice but to go in their own direction after that content has been exhausted if they’re planning on this being more than one season.

2 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

As someone who has played the games, I’m still interested in seeing a live action retelling of them. But like I said before, there’s only two games worth of story content so they’ll have no choice but to go in their own direction after that content has been exhausted if they’re planning on this being more than one season.

With the way TV shows are written, they could easily get between four and six seasons of shows out of the Two Games released so far alone. that's not even counting whatever new storylines they come up with. i doubt if they even cover all of the events of the first game in one season.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

With the way TV shows are written, they could easily get between four and six seasons of shows out of the Two Games released so far alone. that's not even counting whatever new storylines they come up with. i doubt if they even cover all of the events of the first game in one season.

You’re right, for some reason I didn’t really think that the first game offered enough story content to make it need more than one season to be told, but I guess that they could stretch it out for multiple seasons especially if they don’t just follow the events of the game exclusively. However, I still think I’ll be fine with that since I really like Joel and Ellie’s story and won’t mind if they elaborate on it.

I would be rather surprised if we got the full story of the first game in season one of the show. I don't recall every beat of the first game, but I feel like there are a number of natural break points they could chose if they want to.

I think it continues to look good, even if I don't think the trailers are great.

I think following the story of the game is a mistake as well. After the Cyberpunk anime I feel like the right way to go for adaptations is to live in the same world but not tell the same story. Stories for games won't translate well because they're just a very different medium. I suppose TLoU is at least more amendable to be adapted because it's very structured and linear, but I still think it would be better to just do something else in the world.

27 minutes ago, legend said:

I think following the story of the game is a mistake as well. After the Cyberpunk anime I feel like the right way to go for adaptations is to live in the same world but not tell the same story. Stories for games won't translate well because they're just a very different medium. I suppose TLoU is at least more amendable to be adapted because it's very structured and linear, but I still think it would be better to just do something else in the world.

Got to disagree here. Cyberpunk has this massive cool world where there are thousands of good stories to tell outside of what the game gave us. As much as I love TLOU, it suffers from problem as TWD. Each story just really breaks down to Character Vs Clickers and Character Vs survivors and unfortunately the best of the stories have already been told with Joel and Ellie. 

• True 2

Another thing to consider is that we still don't really know how closely this is going to stick to what we've already seen in the game(s). I mean, yeah, Joel and Ellie are our primary protagonists, and it looks like they're going to cover the same basic story, but they can very easily branch out from there. IMDB cast listings for shows that haven't come out yet are highly suspect, but it looks like we may have more series regulars than just the two of them. 

• True 2

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last of Us (HBO Max) - Official Thread, update: 15 January 2023 debut confirmed
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last of Us (HBO Max, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...