The Last of Us (HBO, 15 January 2023) - Official Thread, update: Official Trailer

the-last-of-us.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

HBO has given a series order to The Last of Us, the adaptation of the Playstation video game, from Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann.

And ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY NOT TOPICALLY RELEVANT AT ALL...

pjimage-1-6.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Ava DuVernay and Roberto Patino’s DMZ has been handed a series order by HBO Max. The streamer has ordered four episodes of the limited series, a futuristic drama set amid a second American civil wa…

I REALLY enjoyed the DMZ comic series so I'm very curious as to how this translates to television.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm just not sure that I really want to see more of Joel's and Ellie's story.

I'd much rather the series focused on different characters - that's more interesting to me rather than whatever happened with Joel and Ellie between the two games.

They pretty much showed us everything we need to know in the flashbacks in TLOU2 anyways 

• 2 months later...

Still not sure about this being the Joel and Ellie show instead of new characters within the world of The Last of Us, as I have already played through Joel and Ellie's story; do I really need to see it again in live action?

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Everything about what makes TLoU compelling as a game series has been done so many times on TV shows / movies, and Ellie being in it at all makes me less interested. :/ 

Also PLEASE cast someone who isn’t white as Joel, or recast Joel as Joan. I’m BEGGING you, I need this. 

You going to roast some marshmallows over that raging dumpster fire the chuds will make? :dumpster_fire:

5 hours ago, Brick said:

Still not sure about this being the Joel and Ellie show instead of new characters within the world of The Last of Us, as I have already played through Joel and Ellie's story; do I really need to see it again in live action?

I get that concern, but we still don't know anything about the plot or how they plan to approach it. My pitch for the show would take cues from what they did in TLOU2. Still feature Joel and Ellie as your "leads", but spend equal or greater time with the other people impacted by their journey. Imagine a whole episode about a group in Pittsburg, doing whatever they can to survive, then in the last 5 minutes Joel and Ellie roll through and beat them to death with spiked baseball bats. 

If you don't include Joel/Ellie at all and create a whole new cast of characters, what makes it The Last of Us and not another Walking Dead spinoff? These zombies have mushrooms growing out of their heads?

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Does Pedro Pascal count for that?

Technically? I think so? 

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I get that concern, but we still don't know anything about the plot or how they plan to approach it. My pitch for the show would take cues from what they did in TLOU2. Still feature Joel and Ellie as your "leads", but spend equal or greater time with the other people impacted by their journey. Imagine a whole episode about a group in Pittsburg, doing whatever they can to survive, then in the last 5 minutes Joel and Ellie roll through and beat them to death with spiked baseball bats. 

If you don't include Joel/Ellie at all and create a whole new cast of characters, what makes it The Last of Us and not another Walking Dead spinoff? These zombies have mushrooms growing out of their heads?

Technically? I think so? 

I'm keeping my hopes high, and I have good expectations. It very well could be something like you described, or further side stories, what happened in between the first and second game, who knows. Kind of depends on how long they think they can have this show go on. 

And yes maybe without Joel and Ellie it would just be The Walking Dead but with fungus zombies, but that's enough when he quality of the writing is more than likely going to be better than TWD and its treading water of story telling. 

i would expect the first season to follow joel and ellie pretty closely. then hopefully from there we start focusing on other characters more even if joel and ellie are still the main characters. 

the thing with TLOU is it’s not really the world that makes it so good, it’s the story/characters. makes sense to focus on Joel/Ellie.

59 minutes ago, johnny said:

i would expect the first season to follow joel and ellie pretty closely. then hopefully from there we start focusing on other characters more even if joel and ellie are still the main characters. 

the thing with TLOU is it’s not really the world that makes it so good, it’s the story/characters. makes sense to focus on Joel/Ellie.

A whole episode where Joel looks for a wooden pallet for Ellie or we riot.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Well fuck now I do want a series about the fall of Rapture. 

Writer/director Gore Verbinski's (The Ring, Pirates trilogy, Rango) R-rated adaptation of Bioshock into a film sounded awesome, but was cancelled due to a ballooning budget and his demand for an R-rating (I think an R-rating is needed, and of course you need a big budget). A series is even better, would have loved to have seen that film though.

Bioshock-Header-New-2_1050_591_81_s_c1.j
BIRTHMOVIESDEATH.COM

And guess what? It rules.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Writer/director Gore Verbinski's (The Ring, Pirates trilogy, Rango) R-rated adaptation of Bioshock into a film sounded awesome, but was cancelled due to a ballooning budget and his demand for an R-rating (I think an R-rating is needed, and of course you need a big budget). A series is even better, would have loved to have seen that film though.

Bioshock-Header-New-2_1050_591_81_s_c1.j
BIRTHMOVIESDEATH.COM

And guess what? It rules.

Was this the version of the movie initially pitched as "So...does Rapture need to be underwater?"

EDIT: Definitely not. That screenplay does sound awesome. 

I'm surprised that so many here want a Last of Us series without Joel and Ellie. Plenty of games have exciting worlds that I'd love to see explored outside the events or characters of the game itself, but Last of Us is pretty much only interesting because of the specific story it tells. Otherwise it's just another zombie show with a few video game easter eggs.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:38 PM, Greatoneshere said:

It is not. Verbinski was a big fan of the original game and wanted to do it justice. 

You wonder if the price could be lower now if they use the same LED screen technology that The Mandalorian has implemented? Sure practical sets will be needed too but not to the degree as before

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

You wonder if the price could be lower now if they use the same LED screen technology that The Mandalorian has implemented? Sure practical sets will be needed too but not to the degree as before

I think that could definitely lower the price. The R-rating would continue to scare studios off though I think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Gabriel Luna to play "Tommy" in HBO Max's "The Last of Us" series
  • 1 month later...