???Patrick Stewart To Star In New ‘Star Trek’ Series As Jean-Luc Picard On CBS All Access???

Jason

“I will always be very proud to have been a part of Star Trek: The Next Generation, but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course,” Stewart said. “It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.”

“During these past years, it has been humbling to hear many stories about how The Next Generation brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership,” Stewart continued. “I feel I’m ready to return to him for the same reason – to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavor to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more.”

Leave it to Patrick Stewart to express more thoughtfulness and depth in the spirit of Star Trek in two paragraphs than Discovery did in 15 episodes.

While I worry about the direction of the series, if there is anyone who I trust to only take part in it if he feels it's of high quality it's Patrick Stewart.

Anyway, oooohhhh, lookit me, I'm @SaysWho? I just finished watched TNG and totally didn't have to wait a decade and a half to see Jean Luc Picard again :angry:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

Leave it to Patrick Stewart to express more thoughtfulness and depth in the spirit of Star Trek in two paragraphs than Discovery did in 15 episodes.

While I worry about the direction of the series, if there is anyone who I trust to only take part in it if he feels it's of high quality it's Patrick Stewart.

Anyway, oooohhhh, lookit me, I'm @SaysWho? I just finished watched TNG and totally didn't have to wait a decade and a half to see Jean Luc Picard again :angry:

While I'd like to see them get over this weird aversion they seem to have regarding going post-Voyager/Nemesis, I feel like it's at least still progress that they're finally doing something post-TOS again.

Just now, Jason said:

While I'd like to see them get over this weird aversion they seem to have regarding going post-Voyager/Nemesis, I feel like it's at least still progress that they're finally doing something post-TOS again.

Absolutely.

They still seem to be stuck in the mindset that, for the most part, sunk Enterprise creatively for 2 seasons and in the ratings for it's entire run. The obsession with making the next ToS. I think they are neglecting the fact that, while some of us like ToS, the vast majority of what would make up their audience now grew up watching TNG, DS9, and Voy.....not ToS. Some would argue that DS9 and Voy weren't ratings juggernauts, but even granting that TNG was bigger than ToS ever was.

Gen Xers and older Millenials are now to Star Trek what baby boomers were to Star Trek in the 80's. Considering that they want people to sign up for All Access, going to the well one more time for that coveted Social Security age audience that remembers watching ToS when it first aired doesn't seem like that great of an idea. To get back to what you said, I just don't see how seeing the 2380's or 90's is not something most Star Trek fans would be interested in now. Especially when you can still have most of the actors reprise those roles(something that is no longer an option for ToS).

I know I have pimped this idea before, and this is not something they would cover in this Stewart series, but they are just leaving Borg storylines on the shelf. The most popular Star Trek(and sci-fi in general) villain of all time and they're doing nothing with them because they just keep dipping their toe in the ToS pond.

It's interesting that they aren't saying he's at least going to be a Captain. So maybe they are going totally unconventional, but if he is going to still be Captain of the Enterprise here's some things to remember and a kind of roundup of where the characters wound up in the canon.....

- First off, I know they make it a point to say that this is not a TNG reboot series, but it's worth saying that all the cast still love each other and you would be hard pressed to see a group of actors at conferences and roundtables who look more like they genuinely enjoy being around one another. It may not be a TNG reboot, but the only impediment to having cameos from the others would be money or writers not wanting it, I think. Slight spoiler alert, this was a recent picture of two TNG alumni on the set of the Orville one guest starring in an episode the other is directing.....

Spoiler

Image result for Sirtis Frakes Orville

- Data died in Nemesis, but they set up the possibility of B4 as a replacement for Data. Spinner himself said he wanted to kill off Data to end the temptation of playing Data for too long because Data shouldn't age. But they found a creative way to work limitation into a three parter for Enterprise that turned out fantastic. Still, I am not sure how you would work Spinner into a 2380's storyline.

- Troy and Riker were married in Nemesis and left the Enterprise. They took over as Captain and Counselor on the U.S.S. Titan. A starship that was on a long range exploratory mission. While they are non-canon the relaunch novels established that this was a long term thing for Riker and Troy and I would imagine the canon continue from there. And it would give them the perfect opportunity to cameo without being part of the main cast.

- As far as canon goes, it's very difficult to place where Worf is. As far as I know the last concrete location we got for him was when he went to Qu'nos at the end of DS9 because Martok wanted him to be the Federation ambassador to the Klingon Empire. Remember the last three films all had varying degrees of strained explanations of why Work wound up on the Enterprise for those films(First Contact he was rescued from the Defiant during the battle with the Borg and Nemesis he was there for Troy and Riker's wedding, I don't even remember the explanation for Insurrection). In the non-canon books Worf actually became PIcard's first officer when Riker left and Data died, but there's no reason to think the writers of a show would use that.

- I think as far as we know Crusher was still the doctor on the Enterprise at the end of Nemesis. One interesting tidbit here is that in the non-canon books Picard and Crusher finally have a relationship, marry, and have a child together. Again, while there is no reason to think a new series would feel bound by this it is something that was long hinted at in TNG and feels like the kind of detail that would make for good "while you were away" details from the character. Since the canon-ish alternate future in All Good Things even had them married and divorced,  it seems likely something about Picard and Crusher and the intervening years will be mentioned in the series.

- Geordi. I believe he remained the Chief Engineer on the Enterprise at the end of Nemesis. But an episode of Voyager(which was eventually an erased timeline, but none of the details that were erased should have effected the fact that Geordi was a Captain), as well as non-canon novels, finally gave him a command. Seems like another great opportunity for at least a cameo.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

In Jean-Luc's autobiography, he becomes the ambassador to Vulcan.

Since no scripts have been written yet when they actually get around to filming this Patrick Stewart will be 79 or maybe even 80 and despite the fact that he has done an amazing job of keeping himself in shape over the years there is no getting around the fact that he is straight up elderly at this point, returning him to the diplomatic role/moral rock that he was in the series vs the quasi-action hero he was in the movies is the absolute right move from both a practical standpoint and storytelling one.

12 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Since no scripts have been written yet when they actually get around to filming this Patrick Stewart will be 79 or maybe even 80 and despite the fact that he has done an amazing job of keeping himself in shape over the years there is no getting around the fact that he is straight up elderly at this point, returning him to the diplomatic role/moral rock that he was in the series vs the quasi-action hero he was in the movies is the absolute right move from both a practical standpoint and storytelling one.

After the reboot movies and Discovery anyone who thinks it's a good idea to bring Stewart back to be an action star, regardless of his age, should thrown out an airlock.

To be fair, it's nigh impossible to do real Trek in movie form. So the whole point here, to me, would be to give Stewart 10 or so hours to tell stories deeper than "beat the bad guy".

Also, always fun to point out that on the various occasions that they artificially aged Picard in the series(All Good Things, Inner Light) he looked so much worse than actual 25 years older Patrick Stewart looks.

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

After the reboot movies and Discovery anyone who thinks it's a good idea to bring Stewart back to be an action star, regardless of his age, should thrown out an airlock.

To be fair, it's nigh impossible to do real Trek in movie form. So the whole point here, to me, would be to give Stewart 10 or so hours to tell stories deeper than "beat the bad guy".

Also, always fun to point out that on the various occasions that they artificially aged Picard in the series(All Good Things, Inner Light) he looked so much worse than actual 25 years older Patrick Stewart looks.

FYI, I was able to go to the Tampa Bay Comic-Con today and met Data. Pretty badass!

They could do a good Trek movie if they were willing to make the movies under the assumption that the audience is up to date on the show(s). It would solve a lot of the problems with movie Trek to make the movies the action-packed payoff for events in the show. Like if one of the TNG movies had been about the Enterprise off on a critical Dominion War mission, or if we'd gotten Enterprise season 5 and Enterprise movies, doing an Enterprise movie that focuses on a key battle of the Earth-Romulan War.

The action would work if there was a reason to care about it. Plus it's the kind of thing thing that might actually be better served getting to work with a movie budget anyhow. As a bonus it would probably take some of the strain off the TV budget, relieving them of the need to HAVE to do bottle episodes to even out the budget. 

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

They could do a good Trek movie if they were willing to make the movies under the assumption that the audience is up to date on the show(s). It would solve a lot of the problems with movie Trek to make the movies the action-packed payoff for events in the show. Like if one of the TNG movies had been about the Enterprise off on a critical Dominion War mission, or if we'd gotten Enterprise season 5 and Enterprise movies, doing an Enterprise movie that focuses on a key battle of the Earth-Romulan War.

The action would work if there was a reason to care about it. Plus it's the kind of thing thing that might actually be better served getting to work with a movie budget anyhow. As a bonus it would probably take some of the strain off the TV budget, relieving them of the need to HAVE to do bottle episodes to even out the budget. 

Yeah, I've ranted about this before. It still drives me nuts to this day that they released the tripe that was Insurrection instead of a huge blockbuster mixing the DS9 and TNG crew for a Dominion War story.

They should really consider doing this in the age of Marvel. Most people have on-demand nowadays, if they can follow 20 movies to get the payoff from Infinity War anyone who is inclined to see the movie in the first place can watch the entirety of Trek which is on Netflix and Hulu and has been for about a decade.

I still think the Borg Destiny trilogy would make for a Trek cinematic experience few people would have thought possible. Again, hurry up while the actors are still viable to play they're parts! 

Edit: It occurs to me that Trek is kind of unique in how almost every actor in it has lived into pretty old age.

Some TOS actors are gone now with DeForrest Kelly and Leonard Nimoy, but other than that almost all the main cast from all 5 shows are still alive.

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Fantastic. Met Nolan North as well and he signed my Uncharted 4 case for free even though I just paid for a photo. First Comic-Con ever and it was lovely.

Did Spinner do a Q&A? Did he talk about anything?

Yeah, I've ranted about this before. It still drives me nuts to this day that they released the tripe that was Insurrection instead of a huge blockbuster mixing the DS9 and TNG crew for a Dominion War story.

They should really consider doing this in the age of Marvel. Most people have on-demand nowadays, if they can follow 20 movies to get the payoff from Infinity War anyone who is inclined to see the movie in the first place can watch the entirety of Trek which is on Netflix and Hulu and has been for about a decade.

I still think the Borg Destiny trilogy would make for a Trek cinematic experience few people would have thought possible. Again, hurry up while the actors are still viable to play they're parts! 

Did Spinner do a Q&A? Did he talk about anything?

I think his is on Sunday.

4 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

And there are others :lol:

I don't feel like watching the whole video just to find this out: is that the one where he describes managing to briefly fool Stewart's wife on the phone before she realized it was him? :lol: