Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

23 minutes ago, Jason said:
donald_trump_39.jpg
WWW.COMMONDREAMS.ORG

As the president refused to concede defeat, Pennsylvania and Nevada certified President-elect Joe Biden's victories and dealt a major blow to the Trump campaign's legal ploy.

this picture lol

grinch smile GIF

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Ivy league schools should be a disqualifier. Especially if you're a legacy or come from a wealthy family.

I disagree. If you do a proper vetting of someone you don't need a coarse heuristics like "none from school x" or its inverse "only from schools x,y,z." And if you're not doing a proper vetting you're already fucked in your selection.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

that feeling when one of the worst people you know kind of has a point

"I don't want smart people managing our decline, I want wildcards throwing sets of dice for a critical chance at greatness"

I guarantee the GOP Senate is going to delay Biden's cabinet for months, at a minimum. 

11 minutes ago, legend said:

I disagree. If you do a proper vetting of someone you don't need a coarse heuristics like "none from school x" or its inverse "only from schools x,y,z." And if you're not doing a proper vetting you're already fucked in your selection.

I think the implication (at least as far as I could see) was that these people (from money, and legacy admissions) will never have the best interests of the majority of the American people at heart, so should be disqualified because of their total separation from normal life.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think the implication (at least as far as I could see) was that these people (from money, and legacy admissions) will never have the best interests of the majority of the American people at heart, so should be disqualified because of their total separation from normal life.

I think that's a faulty generalization and you can determine that from way better methods than what school they went to.

Do you think he's going to get the Trumpified bullet points, TRUMP in bold letters, and pictures all over the place one-pagers they've been making?

201111062733-split-joe-biden-donald-trum
WWW.CNN.COM

Three weeks after the election, the White House has given formal approval for President-elect Joe Biden to receive the President's Daily Brief, a White House official told CNN Tuesday.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Do you think he's going to get the Trumpified bullet points, TRUMP in bold letters, and pictures all over the place one-pagers they've been making?

WWW.CNN.COM

Three weeks after the election, the White House has given formal approval for President-elect Joe Biden to receive the President's Daily Brief, a White House official told CNN Tuesday.

Joe Biden getting his first briefing “This briefings are nothing but hand puppets, pictures, pie charts and it’s all in crayon” At least someone is actually going to pay attention to the briefings. Trump probably hasn’t given a shit about them for weeks or months (hell maybe even years)

1 hour ago, legend said:

These institutions are just elite signifiers and feed the myth of meritocracy.

But the fact of the matter is we don't do proper vetting in politics. Nor do we have a good mechanism to do so! These elite institutions and those that come from them are so massively disconnected from the reality millions of americans face that no amount of "intelligence" or "understanding" can make up for it.

8 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Joe Biden getting his first briefing “This briefings are nothing but hand puppets, pictures, pie charts and it’s all in crayon” At least someone is actually going to pay attention to the briefings. Trump probably hasn’t given a shit about them for weeks or months (hell maybe even years)

Definitely years.

Stories of them dumbing down the PDB and ultimately Trump only even attending once or twice a week, if that, were all from just the first 6 months of his presidency.

It is such a known quantity at this point that no one has really bothered to report on it for years.

Just like how Jared has been serving in the WH illegally for 4 years.

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This isn't true. I know a number of really great people, both intelligent and compassionate, who come from ivy league schools. Elite schools certainly don't have a monopoly on great people, but they're not devoid of them either.

But the fact of the matter is we don't do proper vetting in politics. Nor do we have a good mechanism to do so! These elite institutions and those that come from them are so massively disconnected from the reality millions of americans face that no amount of "intelligence" or "understanding" can make up for it.

We do have good mechanisms to do this. It's not all that hard to do thorough interviews and investigate someone's previous work and that should be expected for these levels of jobs. The solution is to do more of that, not broad brush everyone into a tribe.

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

FDR?

6 minutes ago, legend said:

This isn't true. I know a number of really great people, both intelligent and compassionate, who come from ivy league schools. Elite schools certainly don't have a monopoly on great people, but they're not devoid of them either.

We do have good mechanisms to do this. It's not all that hard to do thorough interviews and investigate someone's previous work and should be expected for these levels of jobs. The solution is to do more of that, not broad brush everyone into a tribe.

Aside from the fact that meritocracy is a myth(a dangerous one at that), Trump and kushner and others like them got their ivy league degrees because of their connections and wealth. They're far from outliers in this regard. That's what I mean by elite credentialing.

And "should be expected" and "what actually happens" are worlds apart. These people with their privileges aren't going to give them up willingly.

31 minutes ago, legend said:

We do have good mechanisms to do this. It's not all that hard to do thorough interviews and investigate someone's previous work and should be expected for these levels of jobs. The solution is to do more of that, not broad brush everyone into a tribe.

Part of the issue is that political Meritocracy and liberal democracy can be hard to resolve with one another, since the latter is predicated on the assumption of an individual’s right to completely ignore the outcomes of the former if that’s what they want to do.  Once you no longer have the right to vote for the unqualified, meritless huckster running for office, you’re no longer really living in a liberal democracy.

China is a good example of this.  It’s about as close to a pure political meritocracy as you will find in any large country—but it only gets there by virtually eliminating democracy except at the lowest levels, and having political advancement purely depend on peer and superior performance reviews and concrete results, with entrance into public service depending on passing a (quite difficult) competency examination.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

WWW.CNN.COM

Jokes on Biden, they will only be handed over after Trump wipes his ass with them. 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Aside from the fact that meritocracy is a myth(a dangerous one at that), Trump and kushner and others like them got their ivy league degrees because of their connections and wealth. They're far from outliers in this regard. That's what I mean by elite credentialing.

I'm not responding to whether the US is a meritocracy -- it's not. I'm responding to whether people who went to ivy league or other elite schools can be great people and they can be.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And "should be expected" and "what actually happens" are worlds apart. These people with their privileges aren't going to give them up willingly.

I don't really have an opinion on what happens with the Biden team or otherwise. Disqualifying people because they went to an ivy league school isn't a solution to any problems we currently have and if we're going to make a change, the change should be to do actual evaluations.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, legend said:

I'm not responding to whether the US is a meritocracy -- it's not. I'm responding to whether people who went to ivy league or other elite schools can be great people and they can be.

Name one great person who came from an Ivy League school. You can't, because there is literally no one who has!

5 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Part of the issue is that political Meritocracy and liberal democracy can be hard to resolve with one another, since the latter is predicated on the assumption of an individual’s right to completely ignore the outcomes of the former if that’s what they want to do.  Once you no longer have the right to vote for the unqualified, meritless huckster running for office, you’re no longer really living in a liberal democracy.

China is a good example of this.  It’s about as close to a pure political meritocracy as you will find in any large country—but it only gets there by virtually eliminating democracy except at the lowest levels, and having political advancement purely depend on peer and superior performance reviews and concrete results, with entrance into public service depending on passing a (quite difficult) competency examination.

Judging by the past 20 years, the 21st century is going to belong to China. I'm thinking a one party state, with democracy only existing at the lower levels is perhaps the ideal solution. Local politics tends to not have the partisan bickering that occur at provincial/state and federal levels, and from what I can see things actually get done when partisan bickering is removed (when the provincial and federal governments don't interfere). 

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Name one great person who came from an Ivy League school. You can't, because there is literally no one who has!

lol I mean, just immediately close to me my doctoral adviser and my post doc adviser and a bunch of people I've also personally worked with.

(And yes, I realize you were being sarcastic. At least I'm pretty sure you were :p )

28 minutes ago, legend said:

lol I mean, just immediately close to me my doctoral adviser and my post doc adviser and a bunch of people I've also personally worked with.

(And yes, I realize you were being sarcastic. At least I'm pretty sure you were :p )

“Conan O’Brien” was the easiest reply :talkhand:

• Haha 1